Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

my change over option is setup on the joystick (sub-selector) center push button

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

When it suits, yes me.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:49 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

I never have used it in the past. A D810 at DX crop becomes effectively a 15.3MP DX camera with a lot less resolution than a D7xxx camera.

What I have found extremely useful is the 5:4 crop mode that was introduced with the D3 camera. When I am photographing people and know that they will want 8x10 prints I can crop in the camera and this saves a great deal of time in post.

Oct 12, 2017 at 06:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

5:4 is useful if you're shooting for an 8x10 output.

I use 1.5/1.2x occasionally if it is late in a wedding reception and the cards are getting low and I don't want to put a new one in.

Oct 12, 2017 at 06:42 PM
bocajrs
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

From time to time comes handy on my d750.

Oct 12, 2017 at 06:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Strange, my D3 shoots DX @ 11 fps

Never used my D3 in DX mode seriously, as mentioned I didn't like the IQ in that format

But neither saw the advantage (for me) to shoot the D3 at the highest fps possible, whether in DX or FX mode
Even if for action photography shooting at a high fps is next to mandatory, I don't like to spray and shoot and hen hope I got the shot amongst the multitude of pictures taken

Sure with perfect timing and sufficient advance knowledge of what is going to happen, and where, it's possible to still get a good action shot without a winder/motordrive
But IMO surf photography is too unpredictable in that respect and getting a good shot at 1 fps is too much of a gamble

Despite having the extended 30 NEF buffer (compared to the standard 15 NEF's) I preferred to shoot action sports at max 7 fps
Allowed shooting longer high/7 fps series, or a number of number of consecutive shorter high/7 fps series, compared to filling up the buffer at the highest fps possible (and then having to wait for the camera to write all the shots away and possibly missing any further action)

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

Virtually never. I just pick up my D5300 and shoot that.

Kent in SD

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:06 AM
kilowhiskey

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

Like Trenchmonkey said, I do a 1.2 crop on my D800 when shooting the Sigma 50-100mm/1.8. Itís the only one of my DX lenses I couldnít sell when I sold all my other DX stuff.

Oct 13, 2017 at 01:16 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How many people use DX mode on an FX camera?

Even if for action photography shooting at a high fps is next to mandatory, I don't like to spray and shoot and hen hope I got the shot amongst the multitude of pictures taken
I don't shoot that way, just didn't want folks to think your 7fps was all the D3 could muster.
Never shoot mine in DX mode...use 5:4 quite often, however. A lil burst at 9 fps rate gives me
the exact wing position/rodeo move I'm after.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password