New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

scott f
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone is using the Laowa 7.5mm f2, and what their opinions are on the lens?
I have the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8, but it is big and heavy, and I'm contemplating the Laowa plus the 12-40 as my primary carry around kit.
I've looked at comparisons on Lenstip of the two lenses, and it's pretty close once you bump the Laowa to f2.8. The Laowa has superior centre resolution and similar edge resolution.
It vignettes a lot worse, any user comments?
Scott
https://www.lenstip.com/513.4-Lens_review-Venus_Optics_LAOWA_7.5_mm_f_2_MFT_Image_resolution.html
https://www.lenstip.com/465.4-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_7-14_mm_f_2.8_ED_PRO_Image_resolution.html

Oct 11, 2017 at 01:53 PM
mikewhitten

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

I have it and have been using it some. I've got the Panasonic 7-14. The Laowa was attractive to me because of size as well. Mostly when I pull out the Pany I'm shooting it at the wide end.

I did a quick back yard comparison one afternoon. Over just a few shots, overall, side by side, being critical, pixel peeping at 100%, the 7-14 is a hair sharper in good light. Just a hair, at the same f stops. Not making general claims here; these were my results, that day, with two particular copies of the lenses.

But... I am unlikely to ever travel with the 7-14 again. In practical terms there's no difference in IQ and the size advantage is crazy in favor of the Laowa. I'm happy with it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 08:10 PM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

mikewhitten wrote:
I have it and have been using it some. I've got the Panasonic 7-14. The Laowa was attractive to me because of size as well. Mostly when I pull out the Pany I'm shooting it at the wide end.

I did a quick back yard comparison one afternoon. Over just a few shots, overall, side by side, being critical, pixel peeping at 100%, the 7-14 is a hair sharper in good light. Just a hair, at the same f stops. Not making general claims here; these were my results, that day, with two particular copies of the lenses.

But... I am unlikely
...Show more

Thanks that are my thoughts as well. When I use the 7-14, I tend to be at the wider end. Otherwise, I just use the 12-40. The 7-14 is a tank, and I will often leave it behind to keep my pack lighter.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:52 PM
pmeheut

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

I have it too and as others, I'm quite happy with it.
I also have the Olympus 9-18 but I tend to prefer a wider angle so I added the Laowa and I will probably sell the zoom one day.

Optically, if you close it down to f/4.0, it is very good. I compared it to the Voigt 15mm V3 I use on a Leica M10 and the Laowa is even better in the corners.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Henning

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

I've had the Laowa since July and have shot a variety of things with it. I have the Olympus 7-14 (huge) and have had the Panasonic. At f/4 the Laowa beats both of them in my estimation, plus it has two extra stops. At f/2.8 it's maybe not quite as good as the Olympus, but close, and at f/2 while not as good it's quite useable and way better than the other two lenses.

As others have said, it's so much smaller that I will often take it when the Olympus is just a non-starter. I often take it along when going out with the EM-1 v2 and 12-100, but a favourite small kit is the Panny GM5, its two zooms and the 7.5. An extremely tiny, capable kit going from 15-200mm equivalent! Even when going out to shoot mainly long telephoto stuff I'll take the Laowa along, as it just doesn't take up much room.

If someone would come out with a good 6-12mm zoom I would be interested, but until then the Laowa will be my main lens in that region.

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:25 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

I also have the Laowa 7.5. I used it on a trip to Glacier NP this summer, and liked itís light weight, ability to use filters, and sharpness. Great addition to the Olympus 12-100.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:10 AM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laowa 7.5mm f2 : Anybody using it?

I just purchased one. As others have mentioned, it is excellent closed down a stop or so. I can't get over how small it is. It's nothing to carry. I thought the 60mm macro was a tiny lens, but this thing is incredibly small.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:13 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password