New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Underwater Housing And Flying

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Underwater Housing And Flying

Hey guys, I'm sure there are some fellow underwater photographers on here so I had a quick stupid question that I might just be over thinking but figured someone on here can set me straight.

I am thinking about just checking my housing and strobes to minimize my carry-on as I have been traveling on a lot of sketch Asian airlines and many of them are extremely strict about carry on size and weight. Is it recommended to open the housing and strobes to help with the pressure differential or does it really not matter since there rated for 100m or 11bar (sorry I work is metric when I comes to diving its just so much easier) My thought process is the pressure differential inside the house vs the plane is really the reverse of what the housing was designed for when diving.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Underwater Housing And Flying

I think it would be in your best interest to do as you suggest. in flight your general cabin pressure (including the cargo and bag areas) is roughly the equivalent of being at ~2400m (8000ft) at cruise altitude in a modern pressurized aircraft like a B737/A320 type and above. if you are on a B787 its generally ~1800m (6000ft) at cruise.

in the end your best course of action is to contact the housing maker for their suggested best practices..

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Underwater Housing And Flying

My housing is just a basic Canon model that fits a G 9 but my strobes are Sea & Sea and both have been in checked luggage multiple times with no problems to date. If worried about the housing can you remove the O ring & if so that would neutralize any difference. I store my housing with it removed.

Oct 11, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Osseous

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Underwater Housing And Flying

If you remove the o rings, it's a non issue. I make a habit of doing this. When I arrive, I do an assembly with a lighted magnifier and o ring grease. You can then test the housing minus the camera in the pool to ensure it's watertight.

Oct 24, 2017 at 03:41 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Underwater Housing And Flying

Leave off the ports and their is no air pressure differential. Be sure to get a very strong case as the airlines are brutal with their handling of such cases. I had a heavy duty Pelican case that was literally crushed by the Miami baggage handlers and was lucky that it was a return leg from my dive trip. Zero help from American Airlines and I was a million mile flyer with them.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:38 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password