FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

chez wrote:
Really depends on what one enjoys. Is it the destination or the journey?

Sure.
But when you return home and realize that "Sitting in the car, driving to the Next Big Thing" constitute 80% of your memories...

Oct 13, 2017 at 09:16 PM
OregonSun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

chez wrote:
Really depends on what one enjoys. Is it the destination or the journey?

Or is it the images? We are talking about photo trips after all

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:45 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Greg Campbell wrote:
Sure.
But when you return home and realize that "Sitting in the car, driving to the Next Big Thing" constitute 80% of your memories...

I always remember the highlights and just block out the suffering

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:50 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

OregonSun wrote:
Or is it the images? We are talking about photo trips after all

For me itís all about getting out into nature...if I bring back a few nice images, thatís a bonus.

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:04 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Greg Campbell wrote:
Sure.

I think we are saying the same thing. For me landscape photography is more than just the image...it's the entire journey getting that image. If that journey is a pain...then the image from my perspective is diminished. The photos in my mind are just as important as the photos on the memory card.

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:19 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

chez wrote:
I think we are saying the same thing. For me landscape photography is more than just the image...it's the entire journey getting that image. If that journey is a pain...then the image from my perspective is diminished. The photos in my mind are just as important as the photos on the memory card.

Agreed Chez, just having some fun teasing out the various perspectives on display. Cheers

Heron

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:09 AM
abhisheks77

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

On NPS website for Crater Lake, they issued and alert -
"North Entrance and Rim Drive are Closed Due to Snow
The park's North Entrance and the Rim Drive around Crater Lake are temporarily closed due to hazardous conditions (snow & ice). We do not know when they will reopen; it will depend on the weather. Highway 62 and the road to Rim Village are open 24 hours."
https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

In this situation, what places/points I have access to ? Will it be still worth to visit ? Fresh snow always looks beautiful, but need to know my limits.

Oct 14, 2017 at 06:06 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

abhisheks77 wrote:
On NPS website for Crater Lake, they issued and alert -
"North Entrance and Rim Drive are Closed Due to Snow
The park's North Entrance and the Rim Drive around Crater Lake are temporarily closed due to hazardous conditions (snow & ice). We do not know when they will reopen; it will depend on the weather. Highway 62 and the road to Rim Village are open 24 hours."
https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

In this situation, what places/points I have access to ? Will it be still worth to visit ? Fresh snow always looks beautiful, but need to know my limits.

You will only have car access to the rim village. There are some great views there and if you are prepared to walk rim drive in the snow there are some more views within a mile or so of the village. From the webcams it looks like there isn't even a foot of snow on the ground, so you shouldn't need snowshoes or skis. The snow will be wet so you would want waterproof hiking boots, or at least good wool socks (bring an extra pair with you hiking if your footwear isn't waterproof).

I would still go, fresh snow at crater lake is amazing.

Heron

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abhisheks77

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Heron, from rim village also (or from whatever route is open), do we access to lake view if we are not any hike in this snow (though I understand that snow will be less on ground) ?
From that map showing on nps website, it looks like taking that iconic photo of island will be difficult, as it would be on side, instead of being in center.

Oct 14, 2017 at 04:59 PM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

abhisheks77 wrote:
Heron, from rim village also (or from whatever route is open), do we access to lake view if we are not any hike in this snow (though I understand that snow will be less on ground) ?
From that map showing on nps website, it looks like taking that iconic photo of island will be difficult, as it would be on side, instead of being in center.

You will not be able to get the island in the center until the road opens unless you go 3-4 miles in the snow. The overlook at rim village also has an 'iconic' view (just Google Sinott Memorial Overlook) if that's your cup of tea. These are my own takes on sunset in the snow from at or very near the parking lot at rim village.

April 29, 2016

April 29, 2016

Canon EOS 7D Mark II    EF-S24mm f/2.8 STM lens    24mm    f/11.0    1/13s    100 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Christmas Day, 2016

Canon EOS 7D Mark II    EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/5.6    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Christmas Day, 2016

Canon EOS 7D Mark II    EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 14, 2017 at 08:16 PM
abhisheks77

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Amazing pictures. Thanks for posting them. It gave me good idea.

If aware of Mt. Hood National Forest, can suggest any good spots for half-day ? Not looking for long hikes. I will be there after noon, till sunset.

Oct 15, 2017 at 06:40 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

abhisheks77 wrote:
Amazing pictures. Thanks for posting them. It gave me good idea.

If aware of Mt. Hood National Forest, can suggest any good spots for half-day ? Not looking for long hikes. I will be there after noon, till sunset.

Sorry, haven't got any tips for Mt. Hood area. I haven't done any shooting up there.

Heron

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Trillium Lake a bit west of the mountain.

Oct 15, 2017 at 03:51 PM
abhisheks77

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

Thanks

Oct 15, 2017 at 04:23 PM
ornate_wrasse

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

If it's overcast or raining focus on waterfalls/rivers/lakes along Highways 138 or 126, Silver Creek State Park, Abiqua Falls

The correct name of this park is Silver Falls State Park. See the following for more information about hiking the park and the beautiful falls that can be seen there:http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Trail_of_Ten_Falls_Loop_Hike
I have been to this park many times and gotten many wonderful images. Not sure if it will fit in with your plans. It's a little over one hour south of me and I live in the Portland area. It's east of Salem, OR.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Oregon's lighthouses. I have captured images of several of them.
Here's a link for more information:
Oregon's Lighthouses
I have gone to the top of the Umpqua River Light, which is close to the Dunes, and been able to see a unique inside view of the fresnel lens at the top. But I am not sure you could do this outside of the May-September time period.

I've lived here since the mid 1970's and I will say that Oregon is a great state to visit and to photograph.

Ellen

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Quick Oregon trip. Need suggestions

tag for ref

Nov 19, 2017 at 08:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register