Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

toupac
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Basically, I want to do a car photo shoot in a parking lot of a Medical Office building that's located in an area that's next to a public hospital. On the weekends, the Medical office building is closed and the parking lot is empty. The area also has a parking ramp and on weekends, the top roof level is also pretty empty. Will it be an issue if I take pictures at those locations at those particular times? What rules/laws do I have to follow? Thanks.

Oct 10, 2017 at 04:42 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

do you want to just walk there and take a photo? or have a helper drive a car there and then take a photo?

or...

it is probably not an issue, no matter how you answer - even if so, what would they do besides tell you to leave?

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:51 PM
toupac
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

Thanks. I was just going to drive a few nice cars there and then take some pictures of the cars. That's all. Just wasn't sure what the rules were in regards to this. Privacy, trespassing, security, etc.

Oct 11, 2017 at 01:34 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

I shot cars for a living for many years. You'd be surprised how often asking the owner of a property went the way you'd hoped. Then there's nothing to worry about.

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

I agree with JohnJ. My rule of thumb is if I know the area will be closed to normal traffic,pedestrian or otherwise, to avoid "trespass calls to LEO's", I ask and leave my photo business card in case of problems..have never been turned down and they appreciate it.
Dan

Oct 11, 2017 at 07:39 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

In addition, you might want to offer to the owner of the building both a print for themselves AND to have your insurance company write a certificate naming the owners of the building as additional insured - y'know, just in case someone is injured and decides to sue the property owners. That little bit of good will usually runs about twenty-five bucks - well worth it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 09:28 AM
toupac
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

Thanks for the responses. All of that seems like the best approach.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM
toupac
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it legal to take pictures in parking lots/ramps?

Update.

I called the property management, talked to the marketing manager, and was given permission by her to use the locations for a photoshoot. She said she would let security know so that it wouldn't be an issue, and if they did have an issue she gave me her direct phone number for them to give her a call. She said she appreciated letting her know.

I guess sometimes the best way to go about doing something is to be direct yet sincere.

Oct 18, 2017 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.