1       2      
       4       end

Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

DavidBM wrote:
For once they understate. Itís easily the best Voigtlšnder. And I have used the 125....

what do you like better about it than the 125/2.5? i really like the 125mm, but remain unexcited by what i've seen from the 65mm, hence the question.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:54 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

sebboh wrote:
what do you like better about it than the 125/2.5? i really like the 125mm, but remain unexcited by what i've seen from the 65mm, hence the question.

A bit more

More contrast and better flare control than the 2.5/125 otherwise a very similar neutral look. Probably even more resolution too. Not that I have used the 125 since my Canon days. May be the contrast isnít to your taste?

Oct 11, 2017 at 07:29 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

DavidBM wrote:
A bit more

More contrast and better flare control than the 2.5/125 otherwise a very similar neutral look. Probably even more resolution too. Not that I have used the 125 since my Canon days. May be the contrast isnít to your taste?

maybe it's contrast related. focus transitions don't seem smooth and colors don't seem as clean for lack of a better word in what i've seen of the 65mm. i haven't shot with the 65 though, just the 125, so it might be my imagination or just the shots i've seen. i also don't care about resolution or contrast after a certain point, so boosts in those areas are a waste to me.

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

I just got the CV 40/1.2 Nokton and this is a nicely built lens. I just run a quick test at infinity and learned a lot from it. I will post some results soon.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:55 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just got the CV 40/1.2 Nokton and this is a nicely built lens. I just run a quick test at infinity and learned a lot from it. I will post some results soon.

Come on, spoilers, give us spoilers!

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

DavidBM wrote:
Come on, spoilers, give us spoilers!

I can say for sure the lens is sharp at center starting at f/1.7. It's just as good as the CV 35/1.7 but this one is wide-open. There are some cons though.
Tomorrow I will post some crops and my thoughts on it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can say for sure the lens is sharp at center starting at f/1.7. It's just as good as the CV 35/1.7 but this one is wide-open. There are some cons though.

Yep so far that matches my findings (well hunch, because I don't have a cv 1.7).
Look forward to seeing if we agree on the cons...

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:59 AM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Fred Miranda wrote:

Hey Fred
Can you also post a photo comparison of the lens between the CV 35/1.7 and the 40/1.2? Also mounted on the body. Curious to see the size difference. Thanks!

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:50 AM
twomblywhite

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

teh_rebel wrote:
Hey Fred
Can you also post a photo comparison of the lens between the CV 35/1.7 and the 40/1.2? Also mounted on the body. Curious to see the size difference. Thanks!

There are images of both of you do a quick search but yes, a side-by-side would be nice and appreciated.

I think I prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the 35/1.7 Ultron - narrower and not much longer (if at all) with adapter. The 40/1.2 is super-wide-barreled and the focus ring is really close to the mount. Seems like it would be a tight fit near the grip for my fingers. I also prefer the focus ring to be a bit farther out.

Edited on Oct 12, 2017 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

twomblywhite wrote:
There are images of both of you do a quick search but yes, a side-by-side would be nice and appreciated.

I think I prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the 35/1.7 Ultron - narrower and not much longer (if at all) with adapter. The 40/1.2 is super-wide-barreled and the focus ring in really close to the mount. Seems like it would be a tight fit near the grip for my fingers. I also prefer the focus ring to be a bit farther out.

I will post it today.

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

A review of the 40/1.2 was linked on SAR. The review is here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_40mm_f1_2_nokton_aspherical_review

Why on earth one would shoot books on a bookshelf to demonstrate sharpness, I don't know. While I admit to doing this at home when desperate to check out a lens that just arrived, it seems a poor way to test for several reasons--books not the same distance from the camera and testing close up tells us little about infinity performance being two Still, the review does highlight some strengths and weaknesses and provides some downloadable samples.

SAR says this is the "first" review. I guess they have never heard of Phillip Reeve's site?

Whoops, here's another review. This one ALSO uses books on a bookshelf. is this the new standard

https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/10/12/voigtlander-40mm-f1-2-nokton/

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:32 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

I donít read. Lol

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:49 PM
twomblywhite

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Luvwine wrote:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/voigtlander_40mm_f1_2_nokton_aspherical_review

Why on earth one would shoot books on a bookshelf to demonstrate sharpness, I don't know. While I admit to doing this at home when desperate to check out a lens that just arrived, it seems a poor way to test for several reasons--books not the same distance from the camera and testing close up tells us little about infinity performance being two Still, the review does highlight some strengths and weaknesses and provides some downloadable samples.

SAR says this is the "first" review. I guess they have
...Show more

A case(s) of introverts holed-up doing lens testing... Or more simply/likely just being lazy.

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:50 PM
twomblywhite

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

GMPhotography wrote:
I donít read. Lol

Lol. You're busy doing the real-world living. 👍🏻

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Luvwine wrote:

SAR says this is the "first" review. I guess they have
...Show more

Steve, I just finished my review here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530

All the best,
Fred

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Fred Miranda wrote:
Steve, I just finished my review here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530

All the best,
Fred

Thanks for letting me know, Fred! Great job on the review! I suspect the readers of your forum have more reliable information about this lens (and others) than anywhere else.

The lens seems really good for casual, walk about use or for restaurants, clubs, or other dark places for taking pictures of people and food and interesting objectsóreally like the pic with the colorful glass. Still, the CA, focus shift, and field curvature conspire to make it quirky and not terribly versatile. It would be a fun lens to own and would get use, but not often enough I donít think to justify my buying it just now. I will wait and see what else comes along and maybe try one eventually. Someone called it a one trick pony. That is sort of how it seems to me. I actually think they might have been better off going with curved aperture blades to avoid geometrical Bokeh stopped down since the lens seems not well suited for landscape and cityscape thus making the sun stars perhaps less valuable than improved Bokeh would have been for this lens.

Oct 17, 2017 at 02:46 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

I wonder where the heck I'm gonna find one in Sweden. Not a single word about it on the larger photo sites or store websites.

Oct 17, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Makten wrote:
I wonder where the heck I'm gonna find one in Sweden. Not a single word about it on the larger photo sites or store websites.

Robert White? The price is good.

/Jonas

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Jonas B wrote:
If you are prepared to order from somewhere (rather than supporting a local dealer - who doesn't carry the lens) I can recommend Robert White. GBP 749 incl VAT is a good price. Strange... usually their prices are on the high side. Not so this time.

The only reason for buying local is less hassle if the lens is a dud. And yes, that's a really good price! Especially since there should be no additional VAT/moms (before brexit).

Edit: Ordered!

I noticed that Paypal tried to give me an extremely bad currency rate, so I chose bank currency conversion instead and saved ~400 SEK.

Edited on Oct 17, 2017 at 06:21 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:09 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton for $1,059

Yes, thanks Fred and David for the reviews on this lens. It looks tremendously fun for bokeh and night photography, and I will probably pick up one at some point for those purposes. But I have a lot of other lens purchases in front of this one before that happens.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:18 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password