FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Lucinda
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

A shot from a bitter cold night a few nights ago. Nothing great just getting a feel for the new gear.

ILCE-7RM3    35mm    f/1.4    1/60s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 01, 2018 at 07:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Lucinda wrote:
A shot from a bitter cold night a few nights ago. Nothing great just getting a feel for the new gear.

How do you like the Sammy 35 Lucinda?

Jan 01, 2018 at 09:35 PM
Lucinda
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
How do you like the Sammy 35 Lucinda?

Honestly its a little odd to me. 1st of all, I love 35mm focal length. I have shot only 5 images with the 35mm f/1.4 and A7R III, what makes it odd is I feel like I need to be using my RX1R II. For some reason it doesn't seem or feel 35mm to me. I don't think yet..(bound to change with me in time) that this combo has better IQ then the RX1R II. I need more time and processing these files, and I need to shoot many images. The Sammy 35mm is quick to focus, and eye auto focus works great. Its just weird but so far on the few shots I have done, I feel like I should be using my 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.4 and for 35mm use grab the RX1R. I will continue to update this thread and report back.

I was one that 1st bought the Sony 35mm f/2.8 and wound up hating it, I gave it to my son, whom has produced some wonderful files with it. If I can bond with a lens, I can get some special sauce out of it, I never did with the 35mm f/2.8, as I always thought my original RX1 was simply better. I will gave the Sammy a fair shake....I need more time with it... I like its size, it seems a tad smaller and lighter the my f/1.4 lenses.

Jan 01, 2018 at 10:23 PM
MJKoski
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

The problem with most Samyang lenses is that the color their provide is a bit weird, with warm overtones and striking cyanish blues. A far cry from Zeiss lenses. Well, that is my experience with DSLR Samyang lenses, dunno if these small lenses have some magic coatings and whatnot. Also, contrast is not typical Zeiss style but a bit flat. Sharpness seems very good though based on available reviews and samples.

Jan 01, 2018 at 10:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Lucinda wrote:
Honestly its a little odd to me. 1st of all, I love 35mm focal length. I have shot only 5 images with the 35mm f/1.4 and A7R III, what makes it odd is I feel like I need to be using my RX1R II. For some reason it doesn't seem or feel 35mm to me. I don't think yet..(bound to change with me in time) that this combo has better IQ then the RX1R II. I need more time and processing these files, and I need to shoot many images. The Sammy 35mm is quick to focus, and eye auto
...Show more

Could be because the Sonnar 35/2 on the RX1RII is wider (more like 32-33mm). That could make a difference for you.

I tried the Sammy 35/1.4 for a few days and felt it was sharper than the Zone 35/1.4 ZA wide-open, especially off-axis (mid-zone). There is stronger outlining on out-of-focus highlights compared to the Zony making OOF rendering a bit rougher though. Having said that, I never loved the transition zone on the Zony 35/1.4 or its onion ring bokeh. The Samyang's inner bokeh balls, although not clean, look smoother.

We need to see some Lucinda style photos though!

Jan 01, 2018 at 11:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

MJKoski wrote:
The problem with most Samyang lenses is that the color their provide is a bit weird, with warm overtones and striking cyanish blues. A far cry from Zeiss lenses. Well, that is my experience with DSLR Samyang lenses, dunno if these small lenses have some magic coatings and whatnot. Also, contrast is not typical Zeiss style but a bit flat. Sharpness seems very good though based on available reviews and samples.

To my eyes, the Sammy E-mount lenses do have lower micro contrast and warm cast compared to Zeiss color/contrast. So, I'd say not much different than DSLR versions.

Jan 01, 2018 at 11:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

I love the 35mm FL and imo it's one of the weakness of the E-mount when it comes to AF lenses. We have so many options but, personally, I didn't warm to any of them. Could be the reason many shooters are still reaching for the RX1.
I will continue shooting with my CV 35/1.7 + 5m PCX until new native 35mm AF lenses emerge.

Jan 01, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hi-Matic

p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
I love the 35mm FL and imo it's one of the weakness of the E-mount when it comes to AF lenses. We have so many options but, personally, I didn't warm to any of them. Could be the reason many shooters are still reaching for the RX1.
I will continue shooting with my CV 35/1.7 + 5m PCX until new native 35mm AF lenses emerge.

Is Samyang sending you another copy for testing? I'm very interested in this lens!

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

rico wrote:
Thanks for those samples, Fred. The performance looks remarkable, and the bokeh gets a B+ from me (and I'm a merciless grader). Never tested my Sigma 35 Art for blur quality but it's probably inferior. Buzzy AF doesn't bother me. When you have a chance, test veiling glare: that quality needs special attention where Samyang is involved.

The Sigma 35 Art OOF rendering is not for everyone, I find it to be smooth and pleasant but there is double-lining and slightly onion ring in the highlights. LoCA seems better controlled than the Zony or Sammy but I never compared them side by side. Sigma is set to release a 35/1.4 Art E-mount in the next couple of months and it could be a great contender.

Jan 02, 2018 at 05:16 AM
jwpstl
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

$100 off the Rokinon version. Still not quite low enough to tempt me but getting closer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-AF-35mm-F1-4-Full-Frame-Auto-Focus-Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Sony-E-Mount-FE/292386559162?hash=item441398d4ba:g:vpUAAOSwnTdaPWKv

Jan 02, 2018 at 04:59 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Sigma 35 Art OOF rendering is not for everyone, I find it to be smooth and pleasant but there is double-lining and slightly onion ring in the highlights. LoCA seems better controlled than the Zony or Sammy but I never compared them side by side. Sigma is set to release a 35/1.4 Art E-mount in the next couple of months and it could be a great contender.

Any chance you've had a chance to play with the Canon 35 II adapted? It has been the most preferred for me after spending some time with the FE 35/1.4 and adapted Sigma Art as well.

Jan 02, 2018 at 05:24 PM
Lucinda
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Shot with the A7R III, using pixel shift. I did downsize this file for the web, the headlight was the focus point and in the original file the amount of detail captured in the light was incredible. I didn't do more shots as it was windy, I simply wanted to learn 'the process', downloading the Sony software, exporting as a TIFF, then using LR/PS.....

the 35mm f/1.4 was stopped down to f/2, I was in terrible light. I love shooting wideopen and that is why I buy fast glass, however for pixel shift this might not be the correct strategy, with that said I will shoot more and learn, for me its about cars and old churches and ruins as to how I will apply pixel shift. I learn in baby steps, I find the strengths, I make things work.

ILCE-7RM3    35mm    f/2.0    1/8000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 02, 2018 at 06:44 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Some advice for Pixel Shift shooting based on hundreds of PS frames taken with Pentax K-1:

-PS only enhances the detail at the exact point of focus and mercilessly unveils the weak points of the lens used. Should there be any blur and lens skew, the contrast between sharp and messed up areas is brutally high.
-If scene has something that moves (!or light changes during long exposure!), PS frame will have nasty grid-like artifact pattern (the way it works with Pentax). Just brush in content from non-PS frames using Photoshop by using layer masking.
-Pixel Shift works very well with focus stacking
-Pixel Shift brings out the most detail at the aperture where the lens draws the best. So this may limit the usage a bit with fast lenses - only the center area of the image may provide better details when shooting wide open or near wide open.

Jan 02, 2018 at 10:49 PM
kosmiq

p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Anyone tried the updated firmware yet? Supposed to give faster af in darker conditions. Requires the Samyang Lens Station though. My lens station should arrive sometime next week.

Got the lens brand new for 4495 Swedish kronor (~$460 USD [excluding sales tax] or ~$560 with taxes, retails for closer to $750 in Sweden. But store made a mistake and still delivered on it after I pointed out the obvious). Really like it on my a7rii. Fast enough af for me (with firmware 01) and nice bokeh plus sharpness. Wormy bokeh balls is probably the only bad thing about it, in my opinion. At least for the price.

Jan 21, 2018 at 04:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password