1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2017 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Ayoul
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

tristannyc wrote:
While I still have this lens I will see if I can't get you some studio type shots as well. I am def returning it though because the autofocus really hurts my brain compared to my canon 1.4 50. And the Chromatic Aberration is no joke. ouch.

Did you update the FW of the Samyang with the dock station ? EDIT : I've just found in the other thread that you didn't.

Mar 11, 2018 at 07:51 AM
Adam Au

p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

jmbillings wrote:
Yeah, the depth of field is just very slim- when close to the subject I don't know that I'd use it all the time. True though, it's probably not pixel-peep sharp at 1.4, but it's fine considering I don't want to pay more than double for the Zony if it's not a huge improvement!

For comparison, here's one at F2.5 or so: here

And at F1.6 here

I don't know if its a fair comparison, but my Sony 85 F1.8 is shaper at 1.8 with eye af than any of the samples you posted. I am also on the hunt for a 35 F1.4 for environmental portraits and don't want to shell out for the Sony 35 F1.4. If i was going to drop that amount on a lens, I would rather get the 85 1.4GM as that makes more sense for what I shoot.

Mar 11, 2018 at 02:26 PM
tristannyc
[X]
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Adam Au wrote:
I don't know if its a fair comparison, but my Sony 85 F1.8 is shaper at 1.8 with eye af than any of the samples you posted. I am also on the hunt for a 35 F1.4 for environmental portraits and don't want to shell out for the Sony 35 F1.4. If i was going to drop that amount on a lens, I would rather get the 85 1.4GM as that makes more sense for what I shoot.

I have decided to try out the 28 f2. I know it isn't the 1.4 cream, but something about the weight, and the bokeh which I find to look semi magical I think will fit me most. If I ever have to do a very high end wedding the sony 1.4 is the only option I believe right now for a 35 if you want to check all the right boxes for that weight class.

Mar 11, 2018 at 02:40 PM
tristannyc
[X]
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

I added a bunch more photos that I took on a walk. Nothing technical. https://imgur.com/a/anW01

Mar 11, 2018 at 04:39 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

tristannyc wrote:
I added a bunch more photos that I took on a walk. Nothing technical. https://imgur.com/a/anW01

Very strong and weird flare on some photos, as criticised by lenstip, too. The OOF areas can be very distracting, like in 7fvjVRE.jpg .

Apr 03, 2018 at 04:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Holger wrote:
Very strong and weird flare on some photos, as criticised by lenstip, too. The OOF areas can be very distracting, like in 7fvjVRE.jpg .

That looks more like sensor reflection than flare. Which body was used?

Apr 03, 2018 at 05:05 PM
bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
My new Sammy 35/1.4 AF is coming today.

Curious to see what you think.

I haven't used mine much yet, but am on the fence.

Apr 03, 2018 at 05:25 PM
tristannyc
[X]
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
That looks more like sensor reflection than flare. Which body was used?

A7Riii

Apr 17, 2018 at 09:08 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Reposting @fred miranda ‘s thoughts on this:

I just got a Rokinon 35/1.4 and here are my first impressions:

1) It feels more compact than the Zeiss since it has a 67mm thread. (Instead of 72mm)
2) It's well built. No plastic anywhere.
3) Focusing is snappy with no hunting in low light. It's not silent like the Zeiss though. In AF-C, the motor noise is more noticeable
4) I did some tests and on the viewfinder, the images look sharp wide open at infinity and closer distance. I'm checking for decentering and resolution right now. No signs of onion ring yet...

So far it looks great.

Update:
It weights exactly 650g (without caps and hood)
My copy is decentered (so I won't post samples until I get a good copy) but I can see that this lens is a great performer at infinity.
The edges are fantastic at f/5.6 and there is no resolution dip anywhere (The Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA has a mid-field dip). So, outstanding from center to corner at f/5.6 although f/2.8 and f/4 are not far behind.

Update 2:
I don't see any onion ring pattern in any of my images yet. If it's there, it's nothing like the Zeiss where onion ring was a big negative.
There is some fringing (LoCA) but I also think it does slightly better than the Zeiss here. I wish I had the Zeiss to compare them side-by-side but I know the Zeiss well.
It's very sharp at f/1.4 (more so than the Zeiss) even at MFD.
I believe OOF rendering is not as smooth as the Zeiss at mid-distance but I have only tested with harsh lighting so far.
EyeAF tracks quite nicely on AF-C with A7RIII.
There is full EXIF and auto-magnification when turning the focusing ring in MF mode.
Aside from the red-line on the barrel, its design and build quality reminds me of the 55/1.8 ZA.

Mar 30, 2021 at 03:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.