FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

People are prepared to pay more for the better lenses, and they are waiting. They will be interested in other options before long, like this attractive one.

There's a nice short wrap up video of the AF Samyang 35/1.4 here:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-tidbits-706/

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

philip_pj wrote:
People are prepared to pay more for the better lenses, and they are waiting. They will be interested in other options before long, like this attractive one.

There's a nice short wrap up video of the AF Samyang 35/1.4 here:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-tidbits-706/

Tested on an APS-C!!!

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

I just got a Rokinon 35/1.4 and here are my first impressions:

1) It feels more compact than the Zeiss since it has a 67mm thread. (Instead of 72mm)
2) It's well built. No plastic anywhere.
3) Focusing is snappy with no hunting in low light. It's not silent like the Zeiss though. In AF-C, the motor noise is more noticeable
4) I did some tests and on the viewfinder, the images look sharp wide open at infinity and closer distance. I'm checking for decentering and resolution right now. No signs of onion ring yet...

So far it looks great.

Update:
It weights exactly 650g (without caps and hood)
My copy is decentered (so I won't post samples until I get a good copy) but I can see that this lens is a great performer at infinity.
The edges are fantastic at f/5.6 and there is no resolution dip anywhere (The Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA has a mid-field dip). So, outstanding from center to corner at f/5.6 although f/2.8 and f/4 are not far behind.

Update 2:
I don't see any onion ring pattern in any of my images yet. If it's there, it's nothing like the Zeiss where onion ring was a big negative.
There is some fringing (LoCA) but I also think it does slightly better than the Zeiss here. I wish I had the Zeiss to compare them side-by-side but I know the Zeiss well.
It's very sharp at f/1.4 (more so than the Zeiss) even at MFD.
I believe OOF rendering is not as smooth as the Zeiss at mid-distance but I have only tested with harsh lighting so far.
EyeAF tracks quite nicely on AF-C with A7RIII.
There is full EXIF and auto-magnification when turning the focusing ring in MF mode.
Aside from the red-line on the barrel, its design and build quality reminds me of the 55/1.8 ZA.

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:10 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

So apparently it comes in both Samyang and Rokinon brand names. Confusing

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:15 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

GMPhotography wrote:
So apparently it comes in both Samyang and Rokinon brand names. Confusing

I believe you can also throw Bower into the mix...at least there used to be 3 different brand names for the same lenses from Samyang.

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:23 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Thank you for the quick impressions. Sucks that your copy is decentered but based on your initial assessment it seems like it's worth the price specially considering the price of its closest rival.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just got a Rokinon 35/1.4 and here are my first impressions:

1) It feels more compact than the Zeiss since it has a 67mm thread. (Instead of 72mm)
2) It's well built. No plastic anywhere.
3) Focusing is snappy with no hunting in low light. It's not silent like the Zeiss though. In AF-C, the motor noise is more noticeable
4) I did some tests and on the viewfinder, the images look sharp wide open at infinity and closer distance. I'm checking for decentering and resolution right now. No signs of onion ring yet...

So far it looks great.

Update:
It weights exactly 650g (without
...Show more

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

ajamils wrote:
Thank you for the quick impressions. Sucks that your copy is decentered but based on your initial assessment it seems like it's worth the price specially considering the price of its closest rival.

In some ways it's better than the Zeiss and this is based on a less than optimal copy:

1) Sharper at f/1.4, especially at mid-field. That's is one of my complaints of the Zeiss where it had a noticeable drop in resolution at mid.
2) Much less offending onion ring pattern (actually almost non-existent on the Sammy)
3) Even performance at f/4, f/5.6 or smaller at infinity where center, mid and edges look outstanding. I will test it against my CV 35/1.7 + PCX 5m.
4) Smaller filter thread (67mm)

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

ajamils wrote:

Yes, I will get a replacement.

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

There are very slight traces of onion ring pattern with the Sammy. The same scene with the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA or CV 40/1.2, would be onion ring festival.

See full image:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/_FM71371.jpg

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Okay I like that

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

umsl12
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
In some ways it's better than the Zeiss and this is based on a less than optimal copy:

1) Sharper at f/1.4, especially at mid-field. That's is one of my complaints of the Zeiss where it had a noticeable drop in resolution at mid.
2) Much less offending onion ring pattern (actually almost non-existent on the Sammy)
3) Even perform at f/4, f/5.6 or smaller at infinity where center, mid and edges look outstanding. I will test it against my CV 35/1.7 + PCX 5m.
4) Smaller filter thread (67mm)

Thanks Fred! Look promising! Can you tell us how fast is AF? Anyway you can give a link for a full size sample, regard to sharpness at wide open? Thanks

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

umsl12 wrote:
Thanks Fred! Look promising! Can you tell us how fast is AF? Anyway you can give a link for a full size sample, regard to sharpness at wide open? Thanks

I don't want to post samples as this copy is not optimum but I'm very impressed with EyeAF on this Sammy + A7RIII. I'm getting pretty much all sharp images. Here is a sample at f/1.4.
Electronic shutter, AF-C, uncompressed RAW,
Screenshot from Lightroom at 1:1

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Another lens to buy. It never ends . Lol

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:45 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

GMPhotography wrote:
Another lens to buy. It never ends . Lol

I think Iíll wait until the stronly rumored Sigma FEART 1.4/35 appears (if it does) in Feb, and then evaluate all the alternatives to the Zony and decide if I want to jump ship for my 1.4/35 AF needs.

But meantime, we are all waiting for that small stellar f1.8-2 35 the system so badly needs...

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Yea Iíll wait till next year,hard lens to buy since I love my cv 40 to shoot now in that area. Iím in no hurry if at all to sell the 40.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM
umsl12
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't want to post samples as this copy is not optimum but I'm very impressed with EyeAF on this Sammy + A7RIII. I'm getting pretty much all sharp images. Here is a sample at f/1.4.
Electronic shutter, AF-C, uncompressed RAW,
Screenshot from Lightroom at 1:1

Thanks Fred!

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Here are some samples but keep in mind this lens can do better. It's just to have an idea of rendering and aberration control:

All at f/1.4 and all using AF-C and electronic mode. Metering highlight + 2EV

1:1 crop from image above

1:1 crop from image above

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:27 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

more...

1:1 from above

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Last one:

1:1 crop from image above. This is at f/1.4!

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · In stock: Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4 AF lens for $799

Sorry for the lack of EXIF. I exported them from Lightroom and my new preset removed all metadata. I just confirmed and they are all at f/1.4 though.

There is no sign of onion ring pattern in the bokeh balls (from all my test images). If it's there, it's nothing to worry about.
Axial CA seems very similar to the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZA.
Less Lateral CA compared to Zeiss. AF is not completely silent but it's fast and accurate. I would think the Zeiss is slightly faster when going back and forward at extreme distances.

Rendering is very nice and smooth. There was a green tint and slight warm cast on images but it was an easy fix.

If you get a good copy, this lens is a winner and the price is a bargain.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password