Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

I'm going to be spending a week in both cities starting next week. I'm just wondering where are some of your favourite vantage points to shoot photos in either cities?

I prefer to shoot with a tripod and I have heard lots of stories about tripods being prohibited in NYC. Any truth to that? Is there a way to use a tripod in Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial, or Rockefeller? If I can't use a tripod in either place, is there a way or place in those locations to use a tabletop tripod?

Thanks!

Oct 09, 2017 at 11:25 PM
cmplaya
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

lsquare wrote:
I'm going to be spending a week in both cities starting next week. I'm just wondering where are some of your favourite vantage points to shoot photos in either cities?

I prefer to shoot with a tripod and I have heard lots of stories about tripods being prohibited in NYC. Any truth to that? Is there a way to use a tripod in Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, WTC Memorial, or Rockefeller? If I can't use a tripod in either place, is there a way or place in those locations to use a tabletop tripod?

Thanks!

i use tripods all the time in the streets/parks and have never been stopped except right outside the WTC. inside buildings probably different

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:35 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

lsquare wrote:

Thanks!

My recollection is that you can not use a tripod at all at the ESB observation platforms. You can probably do it at Rockefeller Center but you may be asked to move on, but tripods are prohibited at the Top of the Rock. You can get a daily tripod permit for GCT at the station master's office; check on-line for possible day restrictions and exact procedures. You will find it frustrating, though, unless you are well away from rush hour. You will need to put a sticker on the tripod that is very difficult to remove.

The Metropolitan Museum allows tripods one day a week (I think it's Tuesday); no charge.

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:09 AM
kdrk888
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

use a beanbag

Oct 14, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

I think the problem may be more of difficulty rather than legality. The crowds! Rockefeller Center is often teeming with people, native New Yorkers and tourists from every state and country. I would recommend walking the High Line, an old, abandoned elevated train line turned into a park. Great architecture and vantage points. I don't know about where in NY tripods are allowed but I have walked the High Line in a relaxed manner and without the feeling of being surrounded and jostled. You can get great views from Brooklyn and Hoboken so perhaps consider these locations. While you are endeavoring to get great cityscapes, don't forget the great potential for street shots. The folks strolling through Central Park, the couples, the characters. I like to shoot people who are concentrating on someone or something, oblivious to my presence. And, such opportunities are numerous in the city.

Even if tripod shooting is legal in some places, that does not mean you will not be told to scram. I was shooting on the street taking one of those upward views of a hotel. Great architecture. I was fully in my rights to be taking pictures (handheld) yet an employee emerged from the hotel and told me to leave. I don't like causing scenes so I left. Kept my pics however.

I would guess that you would not be allowed to use a tripod in the Empire State Building. Not sure you would want to even if you could. You will likely wait in line for a long time. Then, when you get to the floor to see the views, you will feel like a sardine and there is considerable fencing.

There are obviously a great number of places in New York that make great subjects for photography. But, don't forget just to experience the city. You know about the food, the theater, the architecture. I enjoy all of that but also just love to walk the streets. From Broadway and 100th all the way to Greenwich Village and Soho. The High Line as I mentioned. Walking through Chinatown, Central Park. Go to the Museum of Modern Art. Check out the various exhibits throughout the many museums. The Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Library and the Natural History Museum. Go to John's Pizzeria in the Theater District. Sarabeth's for breakfast.

Have a blast and post your pics!

Oct 18, 2017 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zoetmb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

In Grand Central Terminal, you can place your camera on a wide railing on the steps of the Apple Store. (It will become obvious when you're there).

You can shoot in the streets (outside of buildings) with a tripod, but the cops can ask you to stop if you're blocking pedestrians or traffic. Generally, you need permission to shoot indoors with a tripod. The museums will generally stop you and many have security guards in almost every room. Some won't even permit you to carry the tripod and they'll make you check it anyway. In other places, if you shoot fast, you can probably get away with it. Some museums also have prohibitions on flash and some have some rooms where all photography is prohibited.

But if you're shooting digitally with a 2.8 lens and a recent body with low noise. unless you're shooting video, I don't see why you'd need a tripod in most situations anyway, unless you want to shoot slow to get blur or are creating HDR images from multiple exposures.

If anyone tells you to leave while you're outside on public property, tell them you know the law and you have the right to photograph anything you want. Once you step on private property, they can prohibit you. If a cop stops you, refer them to Operations Order dated 04-03-09 #14 which details that people are permitted to take photographs in NYC. You might be able to find a copy online which you should carry with you, as I do.

Personally, I'd avoid the usual tourist views. You can find millions of those photos online. What are you going to get that someone else hasn't already gotten? Instead, I'd do a lot more personal photography. Go to the off-the-track places with fewer tourists. Go to Williamsburg, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights or Greenpoint, all in Brooklyn. Go to the Lower East Side in Manhattan and shoot on the ungentrified blocks on the outskirts of Chinatown. Go to the Bowery and shoot the dynamic of multi-million dollar condos sitting next to shelters for homeless men. Go up to the Bronx and photograph the beautiful houses on streets that look like you're in the country in Fieldstone (Riverdale) or go to Forest Hills Gardens in Queens where the streets are modeled after a UK village. Etc.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:23 PM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

Brooklyn Bridge Park and Gantry Plaza State Park are two amazing vantage points of New York City. Both have the East River in between you and the big apple. Happy shooting

Charlie

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:09 AM
runakid
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

DUMBO in Brooklyn is great too.

Nov 12, 2017 at 09:58 AM
IndyFab
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best vantage points in Boston and New York City?

A nice shot for your portfolio is a skyline shot from the Jersey side of the Hudson River.. Use a 70-200 think Pano

Nov 12, 2017 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password