Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

Has anyone ever shot video at Nland Surf Park in Austin, TX? I rarely shoot video with my DSLR's and I'm wondering if there's dummy settings that may help me get some footage similar to :25-:55 in this video:

I'll be bringing a 7DII for the extra reach and 100-400II with extenders, or I can bring a big white but prefer to travel light. Being that the wave is coming toward you I imagine it will be very difficult to adjust zoom and keep the surfer in focus?

Does anyone have any "video for dummy" settings I could try on the 7DII?

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:53 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

This thread has been posted in the sports forum with no action so I'm cross posting it to the Canon forum. Maybe Fred needs a video forum for the video guys...

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:49 PM
Clicky94

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

artsupreme wrote:
Maybe Fred needs a video forum for the video guys...

Nah, this site is about proper photography

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:49 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

Clicky94 wrote:
Nah, this site is about proper photography

Agreed, however there are times when "proper photographers" have to shoot video. And I'm sure there are plenty of FM'ers who are into video to make a forum out of it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 07:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

artsupreme wrote:
Maybe Fred needs a video forum for the video guys...

artsupreme wrote:
...I'm sure there are plenty of FM'ers who are into video to make a forum out of it.

Here's a thread about creating a video forum, from earlier this year.

"Any interest in a video forum?" http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1487806

It didn't get a lot of mileage, but you could bump it back to the present, and maybe send a PM to Fred.

Oct 11, 2017 at 08:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

Face tracking for AF, slowly zoom out as surfer gets closer, fluid head, IS off. I tried my hand at video at surf Snodonia in North Wales a week or so ago with 5D4. AF + face tracking worked really well in video mode. I tapped the square over the surfer as the action started and whilst the square left the surfer, surfer was always in focus. Also tried to zoom out. I did this hand-held so a bit shaky, didnít have the tripod with me.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
osv2

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

artsupreme wrote:
I'll be bringing a 7DII for the extra reach and 100-400II with extenders, or I can bring a big white but prefer to travel light. Being that the wave is coming toward you I imagine it will be very difficult to adjust zoom and keep the surfer in focus?

the correct way to do it is to use a parfocal zoom... zoom all the way in to the furthest object that you want to be in focus, set focus with the camera in manual focus mode, and then it'll stay in pretty good focus while you are zooming.

you'll probably need to use autofocus with the glass that you have, so i'd suggest practicing zooming on slow cars coming at you on the street.

a real video zoom lens will be a motorized zoom, so it'll give you a steady crawl zoom motion, but you won't have that either.

with video, the shutter speed has to be fixed, for 1080p it's generally 1/60th or 1/120th... if you change the aperture while recording, it'll show as a sudden change in exposure, so watch out for that... maybe float the iso, if you need it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nland Surf - Need help with settings...

Sorry can't help you with the settings but NLand looks awesome! Thanks for posting.

I would also support a video forum.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:49 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password