New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

I am interested in doing a detailed all day tour of the Canyon De Chelly and take it at my pace as I go. My research tells me one can only go OR at minimum it is advisable to go down the canyon with a Navajo guide in their vehicle.

Does anyone have had 'great' experience with any of the guides / operators personally. If yes, could you kindly share contact info.

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:28 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

anyone :-)

Oct 10, 2017 at 08:29 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

There are several operators and the one I chose used a Suburban which made for a lot less dust inside the car and on my gear. Most of the operators use an open Jeep which is great for collecting dust.

When you arrive phone and ask what vehicles they have and who is actually going to be doing the driving. Some tours are done by the owner and you learn a lot more about the local history from the perspective of the few descendants who managed to avoid the slaughter by the US Army troops.

All day is a good choice as it gives you time to stop at places and get much further into the canyon.

Oct 10, 2017 at 09:56 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

@elkhornsun Thanks much

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

It's been years since I've been down inside Canyon de Chelly, but we used Navajo Guide Timothy Halwood of Twin Trails Scenic Tours. 928-349-5560. There were many "guides and tours" available outside the gate area. The "open vehicles" are really for the general public. The other guides have regular 4x4 vehicles and are able to spend more time at locations with photographers.

See, https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/canyon-de-chelly-a-room-without-a-view-part-ii/

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:25 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

@kdphotography; Thank you for the recommendation. and nice write up on that link :-)

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

Years ago, I did a walking tour there. It was just me & the guide. The vehicles are constrained to the tracks in the canyon, as if they go off of them, they're likely to get stuck. I went to the front desk in the visitor center, told them where I wanted to go, what I wanted to see/shoot & they chose someone they thought was appropriate. I think it may have been cash only & there was a separate charge for the guides uncle to shuttle me back to my vehicle. I don't remember the cost, but significantly less than $100. Probably more like $60 or $80 with tip. We descended into the canyon on mock steps, but depending on where you want to go & your level of fitness, that may not be necessary. Walking in the water was nice & cooling & we never encountered anyone else where I wanted to shoot as everybody else was on a driving tour. The next day I ran into 2 rangers at Natural Bridges who had been on a driving tour that day & they were quite sunburned (I was not).

Oct 14, 2017 at 01:45 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canyon De Chelly guide/operator recomendation

Arizona Highways has a 5-day photography workshop there:

http://www.ahpw.org/workshops/2018/Canyon-de-Chelly-Photography-Workshop-2018-10-17/

Might give you some ideas for photos.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password