Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

I am somewhat of a lighting addict, and have quite a few softboxes, umbrellas, light stands, batteries, chargers, etc.

I am wondering how others are traveling with their modifiers, and if you've found inventive solutions to keeping this arranged and protected both at home, as well as when you're bringing stuff on location.

One specific thing I'm trying to figure out the best solution to is how to store and travel with a bunch of diffusion material for my umbrellas.

Also wondering if anyone has found a great mid-size lighting bag. Right now I pretty much have my small light bag which is an "On-Stage Stands" brand speaker stand bag, which carries 2-3 light stands, and either a couple umbrellas or a couple midsize softboxes and brackets. And when I fly, I use an armored golf bag that can carry a pretty massive amount of gear.

Show me your bags!

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:10 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

I have invested in quality lighting (Profoto and KinoFlo) and want to make sure it arrives on location safely. I have a variety of Lightware cases that I have confidence in to do the job. They can be found used at a savings and may require a little patience to find the perfect size. The golf club hard cases and Fiberbilt tubes are one of the best solutions for airline travel.

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:37 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

Ah those are nice! I assume you also travel with some sort of collapsible cart like the rock n roller?

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:10 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

For light stands I've used a Standbagger bag (roll up version). I thought it was expensive when i bought it (8 years ago) but it is still in really good shape with no damage and my stands and umbrellas have been fine in it. I tried that on stage bag, because the older stand bag I had weren't easy access, and I ripped one of the handles just out of the return period. They now make easier access ones that I might "upgrade" to.

Oct 10, 2017 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sungphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

neoshazam wrote:
For light stands I've used a Standbagger bag (roll up version). I thought it was expensive when i bought it (8 years ago) but it is still in really good shape with no damage and my stands and umbrellas have been fine in it. I tried that on stage bag, because the older stand bag I had weren't easy access, and I ripped one of the handles just out of the return period. They now make easier access ones that I might "upgrade" to.

Oooh the original roll-up model 13 looks amazing for around the town. It's not that expensive either.. Awesome thanks for the recommendation. This is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking to get ideas on.

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:14 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

sungphoto wrote:
Ah those are nice! I assume you also travel with some sort of collapsible cart like the rock n roller?

Yes, the R16 and grip is carried in a Tenba CCT46 TriPak Car Case. When I fly, the gear will be rented and billed to the client. I cannot imagine what the fees would be on a case containing four C Stands, soft boxes and grip.

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:01 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

In think tank pouches in a pelican case with dividers

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:22 AM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you store and travel with your lighting gear?

Thanks all - ended up picking up a Think Tank Production Manager 40. Best lighting kit purchase I've made in a while

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password