end

Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

AFphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

This is to rdeloe

AFphotography wrote:
Oh man!! You nailed it with your sharpening technique! It works so good.. I did change the NR to 50 instead of 75 for my personal preference but its amazing. Thank you!

Oct 20, 2017 at 07:41 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

As I prepare my flame retardant suit-X-trans is fine-the problem is Adobe!
In the interest of full disclosure-I despise Lightroom!

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:33 PM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

That's great to hear. Remember that the place where I started (e.g., Noise 50) was just that -- starting point. Some require more, some less (and some people prefer more or less).

Rob

AFphotography wrote:
This is to rdeloe

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

Noise can be a real issue, but this thread reminds me of a few important facts:

1. ALL digital photographs have at least some noise. Often it isn't visible or it is very mild, but it is always there. A perfect, noise-free digital image does not exist.

2. Some (barely) visible noise in a photograph is not necessarily a bad thing. (In fact, some photographers intentionally add noise to images in certain cases. I won't go into detail here.)

3. Most excessive noise can be minimized using basic post-processing techniques, to the extent that it doesn't compromise the image.

4. Quite often when people say that they have a "noise problem" (with their camera, in post-processing, etc.) there is a very good chance that they could resolve it by applying some techniques that they just haven't yet learned about.

Dan

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Are the X-trans Files too Noisy? Tips Needed

Some photographers add "Grain" to their black and white images to give them that Tri-X feeling... Perhaps there are tools that can do it better than Lightroom, but i have a hard time telling the difference between noise and grain. It's not something I do but, as usual, to each his or her own.

But yes, noise is yet another thing that can be obsessed about too much. As in so many cases, there's nothing like stepping back and looking at actual prints to judge whether or not the noise you're seeing at 1:1 is actually a problem.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password