FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Girl and her dog

airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Girl and her dog

What does clean as ivory soap mean? And that was Kim talking but they both Manos and Bresson preferred not to crop. I do to but I do crop from time to time. You should have read on and paid attention to Manos words ads I suggested.

We all have influences and should. Most great artists in any art form are influenced by those that come before and should be. Most are students of history of that and many art forms because they loved art. What did Picasso say bad artist copy, great artists steal? But the secret is to take all of those influences and try to make them your own as both Manos and Bresson have done.

In your example of the decisive moment as you can see he was working to get it. That's the way most work. This isn't easy or some kind of magic. It comes from work. Really hard work and the ability to see and capture that vision in a fraction of a second in many street photographers case. A developed instinct. Sometimes you only get one try and other times you have locations that may work and you work them until you get the shot. All you proved in the contact sheet part of your post is he was working to get it.

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:04 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Girl and her dog

airfrogusmc wrote:
In your example of the decisive moment as you can see he was working to get it. That's the way most work. This isn't easy or some kind of magic. It comes from work. Really hard work and the ability to see and capture that vision in a fraction of a second in many street photographers case. A developed instinct. Sometimes you only get one try and other times you have locations that may work and you work them until you get the shot. All you proved in the contact sheet part of your post is he was working to
...Show more
This made me think of all the iconic news images captured by photographers using 4x5 Speed Graphics!

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:59 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Girl and her dog

Yes Arthur Fellig does come to mind. Those were mostly taken after the fact and not in the moment.

As you know, and I am over simplifying for space reasons, there were two very distinct schools of thinking when it comes to photography here in the US, One was what is known as the West Coast school. Adams, Cunningham, Weston, White were all part of that philosophy. It was called pre visualization and had more to do with the process (zone system and placing tones where the photographer envisioned them to be instead of where they might be in reality. Adams, White and most of the others addressed this as when out photographing not having a pre conceived idea of what they were going to photograph. Instead going out as a blank slate. Being open to their vision. But being able once the scene is seen and then being seen in ones mind eye by pre visualizing the finished print by placing tones or zones where they envisioned them to be and through exposure, negative development and printing visualized at that moment before exposure.

Then there is the East Coast school which Winogrand, Freelander, Meyerowitz, Manos and yes Bresson where all part of. This was about seeing and capturing in the moment and then after seeing contact sheets or what they had shot then deciding what best matched what they were trying to say visually.

There are these two philosopher which on the surface may seem very different but really are not the different and there is everything in-between. That in-between is where many of us are.

Heres some words by Meyerowitz on this trailer (good movie BTW) and it really simplifies and explains why many go to the streets.
just such the arrow under the words poster not available
https://www.traileraddict.com/everybody-street/trailer

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:30 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Girl and her dog

airfrogusmc wrote:
...there were two very distinct schools of thinking when it comes to photography here in the US, One was what is known as the West Coast school. Adams, Cunningham, Weston, White were all part of that philosophy.

That was a good summary of two schools of thought. I have followed both to some extent. I loved printing 35mm on my Leica Focomat enlargers (1a, 1c and V35) because they had oversized holders that allowed me to "French Frame" my prints to prove I composed in camera.

I also graduated from Art Center College of Design, one of the hearts of the West Coast School. When Ansel Adams was teaching at Art Center, he and Fred Archer codified their technique into the Zone System. I had a friend and mentor who took classes from Ansel Adams at Art Center.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:51 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password