FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Mortified by my own presence

JacobsLadder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mortified by my own presence

InSanE wrote:
Simple solution.
Just add silent shutter to your price list and make them pay for privacy.

Sure as fuck I will demand silent tools at my dentists.
Surely construction workers cringe while using power tools in urban areas.

do your fucking job, dslr sounds are expected PRO!

There are these things that come along once in a while in technology called innovation, or improvements. Silent tools at the dentist, silent jack hammers on construction sites, silent leaf blowers...those would all be welcome innovations and advancements in technology. Just as is the silent shutter at weddings or anywhere else where it benefits to be as unobtrusive as possible. If we did things simply because that's the way they were always done we'd still be using explosive powder flashes from the 19th century and getting to the wedding in horse and buggy.

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:25 AM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mortified by my own presence

Nikon D810 is much better in that area
I am using both, D750 and D810, and during the quiet part of the ceremony D810 is the One to use.

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:45 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mortified by my own presence

Ceremony coverage and how invisible you ought to be is really a subjective, personal choice.

I know local photogs who use OCF 100% of the time in interior locations (churches included) and I never dared because I don't want to disturb with a strobing light.

Others use short primes (50mm) only and are almost always within six feet of the couple, orbiting them like satellites. The ceremony is the only time I whip out the 70-200 so i can be more discrete yet retain some compositional flexibility.

Expectations of totally silent shutters are not reasonable. They're a brand new affair.

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:34 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mortified by my own presence

I suggest a switch to the Fuji XT2. Fastest shooting I've ever experienced. I shot weddings and now shoot events. Best dang camera I've ever owned. Yes I have A7rII for portraits but that Fuji beats any other system I've used. Plus, your wrists will thank you. Set up properly, you will be stealthily silent, less obtrusive with smaller gear, capture qickly, access essential controls quickly, have more battery life (holds three batteries with grip) and have substantially less weight to manage with a lot of flip out viewing angles.

eke2k6 wrote:
It sucks, because this might be what pushes me to upgrade to either the D850, or the 750's successor.

Edited on Oct 09, 2017 at 12:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:00 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mortified by my own presence

I owned it for a while. I just prefer my Nikon lenses and the full frame aesthetic.

I would never use flash for a catholic ceremony, especially a quiet one. My sensors can handle having the iso pushed.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:23 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mortified by my own presence

Full frame doesn't matter if you don't capture the frames. 99% of wedding images will never be enlarged. They will be in albums.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:52 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mortified by my own presence

Everyone has their preference. Your question was about quiet so I should let that be the center of the discussion.

eke2k6 wrote:
I owned it for a while. I just prefer my Nikon lenses and the full frame aesthetic.

I would never use flash for a catholic ceremony, especially a quiet one. My sensors can handle having the iso pushed.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mortified by my own presence

The silent mode on the D850 is decent even though it separates the sound of the mirror into two sounds.

The silent mode in live view is completely silent.

Oct 09, 2017 at 01:59 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mortified by my own presence

I really don't think that the shutter sound of the d750 is so bad. I was shooting a full mass catholic wedding on Saturday and actually thought to myself," my camera is really pretty quite ... way better than the d800 and d700 that I used to use ... Its really nice not to be a distraction". I think that this might be the beginning of ...........NAS
On the up side, new cameras are nice.

Oct 16, 2017 at 07:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mortified by my own presence

> 99% of wedding images will never be enlarged. They will be in albums.

100% of wedding images are enjoyed today on high res mobile device screens. Don't know what that means but only a fraction of our images are printed anymore — album, canvas or print.

Oct 16, 2017 at 09:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.