FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2017 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu -- very nice. I did not pic favorites, I too like to all in this post vs. a link.

I am switching to Sony from Nikon and pretty excited. I just traded my Zeiss 21 and will replace it with the Loxia 21. I really like the Loxia line and my second lens may be the Loxia 85. Your L50 photos have me thinking but my plan is to have one AF, possibly the 55...

Anyhow, I do not want to get off topic, your photos are beautiful.

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks moosehead!

My AF lens for people (and wildlife and landscapes) is the Batis 135, which is quite nice. I also have the 1.4/50 AF but prefer the L50. I have no problems with the gap from 50 to 135.

The Loxia 21 is really great and was my main reason for switching from Nikon to Sony.

Boris

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:02 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Thanks moosehead!

My AF lens for people (and wildlife and landscapes) is the Batis 135, which is quite nice. I also have the 1.4/50 AF but prefer the L50. I have no problems with the gap from 50 to 135.

The Loxia 21 is really great and was my main reason for switching from Nikon to Sony.

Boris

..Thanks for posting Boris, it actually helps me a lot..
..Are you glad you switched to Sony? I am pretty confident and excited. I switched due to the weight primarily.
..L21 is a must for me then I am realizing that I need a plan even though I am going to get just one more lens for now. I am liking all the Loxia.
..I only want/need one AF and while the 55 1.8 is probably a no brainer, but the Loxia is drawing me. I just sold my Zeiss 135 (that and the Z21 were the best two lenses I have used). Why wouldn't I duplicate it. Funny, today I was thinking the Batis 135 should be my one AF... It solves a lot of things for me, it is just expensive. I know that I would love it and the weight is not too bad.
.. So my plan may be L21, L50 (or the Voig-65), and the Batis 135 ... I do not think I would have any issue with the 50-135 gap at all. The priority for a 4th may be the 35 range.
.. Did you consider the V65? vs the L50, or since it is new I think, it may not have been out

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:19 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris,
As usual your pics are a joy to view. I've been to Thailand many times (probably 50) and this brings back many memories. You captured Thailand quite well! Thailand is also notorious for featureless hazy skies so I think you did well with what you captured. Love the night stars in your evening captures. Love the waterfall pics but for me I think some are too long on exposure. Not saying they are not properly exposed - just I think some would benefit from shorter exposures. My hat is off to you if you are car renting and driving in Bangkok. I would rent and drive quite often but would avoid trying to navigate Bangkok! You miss a turn and that could be an 1 hour mistake!
Dave

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

moosehead222 wrote:
..Thanks for posting Boris, it actually helps me a lot..
..Are you glad you switched to Sony? I am pretty confident and excited. I switched due to the weight primarily.
..L21 is a must for me then I am realizing that I need a plan even though I am going to get just one more lens for now. I am liking all the Loxia.
..I only want/need one AF and while the 55 1.8 is probably a no brainer, but the Loxia is drawing me. I just sold my Zeiss 135 (that and the Z21 were the best two lenses
...Show more

Yes I'm glad I switched to Sony, but mainly due to massive reduction of size and weight. I still think the ergonomics and the DR (especially the usuability of overexposed highlights) of the D800E were slightly better. But on the other side MF is much easier with the EVF and less vibration due to no mirror is another advantage of the Sony.

The Voigtländer 65 was not available when I switched, but it sounds like a great lens. If I would start again now, I would probably go L21, CV65, B135 for a three lens combo and B18, L21, L35, CV65, B135 for a 5 lens combo.
The main difference between CV65 and L50 is probably the performance at f/2-f/2.8 (and of course the much shorter MFD of the CV). At f/4 the IQ of the L50 is extremely good and I can't imagine that the CV65 could be much better. I'm still thinking about getting the CV65, but I really like the L50 and owning both lenses makes no sense.

Boris

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:41 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

dbehrens wrote:
Boris,
As usual your pics are a joy to view. I've been to Thailand many times (probably 50) and this brings back many memories. You captured Thailand quite well! Thailand is also notorious for featureless hazy skies so I think you did well with what you captured. Love the night stars in your evening captures. Love the waterfall pics but for me I think some are too long on exposure. Not saying they are not properly exposed - just I think some would benefit from shorter exposures. My hat is off to you if you are car renting and driving in
...Show more

Thanks Dave!

The exposure time of flowing water is always a big discussion and highly subjective. Some people love very long exposures and some hate it. My father for example has a real aversion against any long exposure of flowing water. I love it :-)

Regarding rental cars in Thailand: The problem is only the first few hours. After an 11 hours long distance flight picking up a rental car where you sit on the "wrong" side in the car and then driving on the wrong side of the road though the morning taffic of Bangkok can be a bit stressful. But after a few hours I always get used to it. And the traffic in Bangkok is definitely less chaotic than in Chiang Mai. It seems that in Bangkok at least some people are following the traffic rules, while in Chiang Mai I always got crazy looks and blowing of horns when I stopped in front of a red traffic light.

But both in Bangkok and Phuket I had some "experiences" each in the first hour in the rental car:

In Bangkok we were driving on one of the big main roads / motorways that led through Bangkok to the west when we saw a motorway service area where we stopped for a quick coffee. But there was no way back to the motorway from there. I took us about 40 minutes to reach the motorway again. But that's Bangkok.

In Phuket we were just driving for about 100m after picking up the rental at the airport when we stopped for a few seconds on the breakdown lane to check the direction on the navigation system. A police office on a motorcycle immediately appeared and we had our first ticket after beeing less than one minute on a road in Thailand. In this moment I was slightly annoyed, but afterwards you can just smile about this experience.

Boris

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:12 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu wrote:
Yes I'm glad I switched to Sony, but mainly due to massive reduction of size and weight. I still think the ergonomics and the DR (especially the usuability of overexposed highlights) of the D800E were slightly better. But on the other side MF is much easier with the EVF and less vibration due to no mirror is another advantage of the Sony.

The Voigtländer 65 was not available when I switched, but it sounds like a great lens. If I would start again now, I would probably go L21, CV65, B135 for a three lens combo and B18, L21, L35, CV65,
...Show more
The CV65 is twice as heavy as the L50 so I will need a lot more experience before I decide. I held the B135 today and I was surprised how light it was ...

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.