New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2017 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

You have to be really careful with the clarity slider. On some (many) images it looks terrible and clarity should be left at 0, but especially under hazy and/or low contrast conditions in can really help. Or if you want to get this urbex look like in #23 or #24.

Not long ago I completley avoided clarity in all my images, but nowadays I use it in about 50% of my images, mostly with low intensity around 5-15, but sometimes much higher (20-40).

If you have an image with high global contrast or a very smooth painting like image avoid clarity. It destroys everything.

Boris

Oct 08, 2017 at 03:34 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Marvelous set - thanks for sharing! I'm glad that you have posted the full set here - it's more convenient to have them all in one place.

Oct 08, 2017 at 06:54 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

36, 41 and 46 are my favorites, but this really is just incredible work. A lot of inspiration for everyone in here, lovely.

Oct 08, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Amazing series, Boris. I really like the light in the coastline shots and those waterfall images.

I think you've tried most UWA available for e-mount. The 16-35 GM may be worth taking a look, but that's another comparatively big lens. Another option may be the next Firin lens from Tokina. Their first lens was pretty well received. If their next UWA is similar, it might be worth checking out.

I'm using a Canon mount Samyang XP 14 2.4 on my a7rii. I'm happy with the lens. It's a big step up from the cheap 14 2.8, as far as resolution, field curvature and sunstars go, the vignetting of course is still there, but not as bad as it was with the 2.8. I have to admit, though, I rarely use it stopped down for landscapes. Mine lives at f2.4, as I'm mainly using it for astro photography. Also, the adapter adds to the size. It's not as large and heavy as the Sigma 14 1.8 or the Canon 11-24, but still quite a handful compared to the Loxia lenses.

Oct 08, 2017 at 07:51 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Looks like it was a beautiful trip.

Oct 08, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Nice set of images. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:28 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Really really good! Thanks for sharing!

Oct 09, 2017 at 07:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris -- Terrific set of amazing images. I must say that each of your posts of your various adventures opens up a whole new section of the world I'd never seen in such depth. Cudos on your skill at capturing key dramatic images of any locale!

I have just a couple comments/critiques, if you don't mind. Strictly in the spirit of fellowship and sharing, not negative.

1) I don't care for the motion blur so prominent in many of your island shots of water and foilage. In particular, the beach with the blurred boat -- it is equivelent to me of having an architectural shot of a blurred building with sharp landscaping around it. Personally, I don't mind some wave showing in water if it means keeping the main subject sharp.

2) The first repair shop photo seems far too dark, especially compared to the following shot from a different angle. I think this image would benefit from re-working by bringing up the shadows and overall lightening. Other PP effects might also help. Great image, but poor lighting, IMO.

3) I do feel you might benefit in presentation and discussion by breaking your inventory into multiple entries or chapters for review and discussion. In the past you've done this effectively. I assume you found that too work intense? Personally, I'd limit each set to 8-10 images. Plus -- I don't like to see you get short-changed on "likes" by me only posting one like for 40 amazing images! Come on, let me like you many, many times per trip!

4) I'm very sorry you had a problem with the 12-24G. I had a similar situation, but my initial images were encouraging enough that I send the lens in for warranty repair to the US facility at Precision Camera. When it returned, all seems to be well. This has rapidly become my go-to lens, often times leaving my Loxia 21 in the bag! I've gotten what I feel are generally equivelent image quality (at one stop slower f/2.8 v. f/4) and an impressively versatilve range, even finding use in nature/landscape for 12mm! That surprises me, because like you, I frequently like to use Loxia 35 and look for the right shooting position to allow that angle of view to encompass a wide subject. I've had very good experience hiking around with just the 12-24 on one camera and either the Loxia 35 or 50 on another -- very convenent and relatively light weight. Just thought I might encourage you to try the lens again, and if you find shortcoming, send it in for adjustment.

I love your photos and PP, and like Fred's landscape work, I aspire to incorporate your "look" and PP tips into my approach. You and the other greats here on FM have really been the best thing to ever happen to my photography and I thank you for your generous sharing. Please accept my comments with my underlying admiration. Thank you!

Edited on Oct 09, 2017 at 08:33 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:28 AM
drjs
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Breathtaking images. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:32 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

great set

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:45 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Terrific set of image Boris ... thanks for sharing them

Mike

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks Danny, austinschutz, Chris, Surfnsun, Arka, nampramos, Jim, drjs, milkod2001 and Mike!

Oct 09, 2017 at 01:55 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Gunzorro wrote:
1) I don't care for the motion blur so prominent in many of your island shots of water and foilage. In particular, the beach with the blurred boat -- it is equivelent to me of having an architectural shot of a blurred building with sharp landscaping around it. Personally, I don't mind some wave showing in water if it means keeping the main subject sharp.

2) The first repair shop photo seems far too dark, especially compared to the following shot from a different angle. I think this image would benefit from re-working by bringing up the shadows and overall lightening.
...Show more

1) I shot most of the images with and without ND filter. But after comparing both version on my computer I nearly always prefered the long exposure version.

2) The dark look of this image was intentional. But it could be also that it looks even darker on your screen than on mine. I've calibrated my screen to 120cd. By the way #23 and #24 are not the same workshop. They are about one block apart.

3) Good suggestion. Maybe I will do this next time. It's not really more work to split the images in several entries/chapters.

4) Maybe I should give the 12-24 another try. But I really hate this buying, testing, returning game. But if you get a good sample of the 12-24 it sounds like a great lens.

Thanks Jim for your comments and suggestions.

Boris

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks for the additional info, Boris!

BTW -- I've happily followed the lead of you, Fred and others, and am extremely happy with my set of 21-35-50 Loxias for my best shooting. You guys are real trailblazers.

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:23 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Boris - just seeing the set now and it is wonderful! I hope you have a lot of wall space!

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Some really nice shots here. Good work

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Thanks Bob and Guy!

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

By the way I couldn't resist and ordered another 12-24 today :-)

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

Very good lens if you get a good copy. Very strong from 12-21. 24 stop down a extra stop

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Thailand with Sony A7RII and Zeiss lenses

GMPhotography wrote:
Very good lens if you get a good copy. Very strong from 12-21. 24 stop down a extra stop

I will definitely keep the Loxia 21. Therefore if it's great corner to corner at f/4 from 12mm-20mm, that's all I need.

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:31 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.