New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Aspen colors in the PNW

xoda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aspen colors in the PNW

I'm looking to shoot fall foliage, particularly aspens as they turn color. What's a good place in the Pacific Northwest to shoot that? I know Colorado has lots, but I'm hoping for some place closer to Seattle or Portland.

Oct 08, 2017 at 09:34 AM
sullivanrp

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aspen colors in the PNW

There aren't too many aspens in the PNW, at least to my findings.

There are places for fall foliage like the Seattle arboretum (Assuming you are based out of Seattle), and then other parks/hidden spots. Leaves are really turning/falling already.

In terms of good golden color (alpine larches are your best bet, to my knowledge) you'll want to look towards the north and central cascades. Maple Pass Loop in North Cascades NP and Colchuck Lake in the Central Cascades outside Leavenworth are two good options. But I'd say peak was in the last week, so you'll want to hurry this week to get out there. These both involve semi-intensive hikes, depending on your fitness levels.

There are some resources for fall hikes around the internet, and washington trail association (wta.org) has great information regarding those hikes so you can be prepared for the trails. As far as easy-car access goes - I am not sure I am of much help. Highway 2 through stevens pass can be pretty as well, but hard to pull over at spots. Really just depends on what you are looking for.

There are more options on the columbia river gorge but wildfires have left much of that area damaged, so I can't speak to those locations.

Hope some of that info helps.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:27 AM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aspen colors in the PNW

It may be a bit late, but the larch trees turn golden in early fall in the eastern cascades. In addition to the locations mentioned above, you might try the Teanaway area north and east of Cle Elum. Nearby, try the drive on Highway 97 between Ellensburg and Peshastin. The short hike to Red Top Lookout along that route is especially nice and not too strenuous. Good luck!
Keith W.

Edited on Oct 09, 2017 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aspen colors in the PNW

We went over 2 Stevens Pass to and from Leavenworth from the Seattle area Oct. 4/5 and there was quite a bit of color. Not really familiar with the area (from SoCal) but it looked good. Golds and reds in abundance and it seemed like more to come depending on the types of trees, etc., and altitude. Agree that safe parking can be a bit troublesome, space and color not always matching up. We were mid-week and I'd wonder what traffic might be like during Leavenworth's Oktoberfest weekends.

Oct 09, 2017 at 06:26 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aspen colors in the PNW

Leavenworth has good colors. Steens Mountain near the alvord desert has Aspens.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:42 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aspen colors in the PNW

Forest Service has info on where aspens are located - you can call them, check web site or even get DISS data from their scientists

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password