Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

Do you find yourself shooting your Leica's to capture those precious moments of your family? We've got a seven month old & I'm wondering how people have found the challenge of manual focusing with the little ones moving around? I'm concerned that I'm going to be stuck with strictly zone focusing; which could be tough in low light due to being stopped down. I'm also thinking about compositions. Since focusing happens in the middle of the screen, I don't know if that's going to make for real interesting compositions with the subject always centered. I suppose you can still focus and recompose quickly? I've only ever rented Leica a couple times and it was before having a baby. Anyway, Leica has got this strange pull on me lately to give it a try. I'm leaning towards the M262 or M10 early next year w/ a 35 or 50 f/2.

Perhaps this is all a mistake and I shouldn't bother because it'd be way easier & cheaper to just buy a small Sony like the RX1R2 or Fuji's Xpro2 to carry with me. As you can see, I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment. Any input from those with experience in my position would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 07, 2017 at 11:45 PM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

Surfnsun wrote:
Do you find yourself shooting your Leica's to capture those precious moments of your family? We've got a seven month old & I'm wondering how people have found the challenge of manual focusing with the little ones moving around? I'm concerned that I'm going to be stuck with strictly zone focusing; which could be tough in low light due to being stopped down. I'm also thinking about compositions. Since focusing happens in the middle of the screen, I don't know if that's going to make for real interesting compositions with the subject always centered. I suppose you can still focus
...Show more

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1441283
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1506341

I suppose the big difference is that Chuck's children are older but hopefully he will answer your questions in the light of his experience with photographing his family with a Leica.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:11 AM
mdg137
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

I have a 3 year old, and I shoot almost exclusively Leica M. Additionally, a huge percentage of the time I shoot wide open.

My primary response to your post, is that under 4-5 years old, they are in constant movement, even when relatively stationary. Manually focusing is a challenge, both with the RF and even the EVF. For me, I don't get overly stressed if I lose some shots due to subject movement out of the focus plane-- there will be thousands more shots to come. The benefits of using the Leica M system, tactile and IQ, outweigh the limitations.

As to off center focusing, the M10 does the easily with the Visoflex 020. You can move the focus/ EVF maginification point around if you have trouble discerning the precise focus point while looking at the whole image.

Additionally, you can always crop a bit to relocate the focus point.

Oct 08, 2017 at 07:19 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

I have a little one who just turned five, and although I just got a Leica (last week) and consequently haven't shot with it much yet, I think it will be excellent for shooting my little one. For the past five years I have shot almost exclusively with manual focus lenses and I think the Leica provides an easy way to do that. If you get the M10 with the EVF, I find it actually easier to focus than the Sony A7RII (although the blackout after each shot is a little long). What the M10 provides using the EVF is an easy way to move the focus point (the D pad) and automatic magnification when you turn the lens. You can also set the thumb wheel to move the magnification in and out which is very handy. The primary advantage of a Leica, however, is the rangefinder which I hear takes some time to develop as a skill, but I am already finding it pretty easy and very useful for focussing. It is great having a viewfinder that allows me to see more that just the shot I am taking. I do think that one of best ways to take pictures of kids is to anticipate their movements and take shots as they move into where you anticipate them going. This basically involves pre-focussing and can be used with any camera, but I think a Leica provides a very easy way to do that. The vast majority of the shots with my son that I consider meaningful and good were shot in this way. I much prefer to use this prefocus technique than following kids with AF, which no matter how good is for me a chore just to keep up with their movements, but that may be just me. Good luck and enjoy these first few years. They are precious and having photos of them is a great way to preserve their memory.

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:24 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

Thanks for sharing everyone. Some great photos taken by some stellar photographers! It’s just what I was hoping to hear! Definitely feeding my want for Leica.

Oct 10, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

Until about 2 months ago, my wife and I used a Leica as a primary means of documenting our now 3-year old - M240 with Summilux 35 and 50, as well as a 90 f/2 and a 21mm Ultron. A few observations:
(1) On the M240, range finder ("RF") was the preferred way to focus, as the live view was slow and buggy. The M10 is better in this regard.
(2) Focus was never a problem when she was less than a year old, even when shooting wide open. I could usually adapt to her movements pretty well in the RF. But when she started walking, shooting wide open became much more challenging. At her present age, it is basically impossible.
(3) If you don't mind giving up shooting wide open for moving subjects (or would settle for a very low keeper rate of in-focus wide-open images), Leicas are actually great for family photojournalism. They're a very usable size, durable enough to put up with the torment your kids might visit upon them, and really delightful to use. I have thousands of images I treasure from my Leica that are technically spot-on.
(4) The M240's video capability was never very good, but I used it a lot, just because it happened to be there at a time my daughter was doing something adorable. As a result, I have a lot of great video of her. If that's something you value, the M10 won't let you have it. The SL would though, so you might consider that camera with some M lenses, if you're willing to give up the RF.

I eventually sold my M240 and moved over to a Sony A9. I kept the Leica lenses and now use them with a Techart Pro AF adapter. The system has some of the benefits of the Leica system (same great lenses, manageable MF, small size) with the benefits of a modern AF camera when I need it. Keeper rates aren't perfect when shooting a moving subject wide open, but far better than I was getting with my M. There is a cost in image quality when using Leica M lenses on a Sony, especially in the corners. I understand that this is compensable using certain glass filters. But for what I am usually shooting with this camera (pictures and portraits at large-ish to wide open apertures), I can live with the compromises.

Oct 10, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Duckmancgy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Those with young kids shooting Leica...Questions...

I have a 9month old and from the onset I have split my time with her between the Xpro2 and the M246 both with manual lenses. I will say its slightly faster with the evf on the Xpro but I haven't had a great deal of issue with the 246 focusing except in darker conditions when i can't necessarily pickup the RF split screen as well. For the birth and time at the hospital I just used the CV 35/1.4 and the xpro2 and loved it. I'd say with a baby you are a bit luckier since they aren't moving around quite as much yet which makes things a bit easier but who knows..

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000prZLHBR6zB8/s/650/I0000prZLHBR6zB8.jpg

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000ltvnZ4KumTU/s/650/I0000ltvnZ4KumTU.jpg

One other point of thought (from my perspective anyways), is when I am capturing memories of the little one - I dont at all care about whether an image is tack sharp or not.. I am more concerned about the image then the perfection of the image.. ymmv of course.

Oct 17, 2017 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.