New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Point Reyes National Seashore

elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Point Reyes National Seashore

My wife and I spent last week at Point Reyes National Seashore and one day with Daniel Dietrich of Point Reyes Safaris which was the highlight of the week. Daniel is an amazing guide and during the day we were able to photograph 3 bobcats and several coyotes actively hunting gophers, river otters, Tule elk, and a wide variety of birds. Daniel has amazing "eyesight" and could drive and stay on the road and spot a critter on a distant hillside, even a flicker that was feeding on the ground some 30 yards from the vehicle while we were driving along.

I have sea otters around where I live and the river otter were similar but also very different, with clawed fingers that enables them to swim under a bird sitting on the water and pull it down and drown it. I saw a pack/pod of 3 otters working in concert much like orcas or wolves and it was incredible to watch them at work. But for Dietrich I would not have known what was taking place.

What was unusual and not something I thought about until traveling around this area was that most places one could go and not have any road noise or boat noise or planes or helicopters flying overhead. No sounds but the wildlife which is extremely rare. I plan on putting together an audio recording outing for my next trip to the area.

It is abundantly clear that the federally subsidized dairy and beef cattle operators have severely trashed the environment over several generations of extensive abuse. Clearly no respect for the land or for their poorly paid workers, without exception. Sweet deal when the feds bought the land and then give a rancher a $300 a month lease for thousands of acres and buildings. Hard for those inland without the federal subsidies to compete under the current circumstances. Hope that Diane Feinstein does not go through with her plan to extend the ranch leases indefinitely, as though 50 years of subsidies is not enough.

Highly recommend Daniel Dietrich's photo tours of this area.

https://www.pointreyessafaris.com/

Oct 07, 2017 at 06:15 PM
billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Point Reyes National Seashore

elkhornsun wrote:
It is abundantly clear that the federally subsidized dairy and beef cattle operators have severely trashed the environment over several generations of extensive abuse. Clearly no respect for the land or for their poorly paid workers, without exception. Sweet deal when the feds bought the land and then give a rancher a $300 a month lease for thousands of acres and buildings. Hard for those inland without the federal subsidies to compete under the current circumstances. Hope that Diane Feinstein does not go through with her plan to extend the ranch leases indefinitely, as though 50 years of subsidies is
...Show more

I worked for UC Davis for many years doing research for them on dairy farms in the Central Valley. This really isn't the place for discussions like you raise, but I will tell you that the farmers I met in the Central Valley were ALL well-off because of government subsidies and trashed the land at least as much as those around Point Reyes. We know one of the Strauses (Point Reyes area organic dairy farmers) and they do a very good job of doing their share of land preservation, but I can't speak about the rest out there, but perhaps some of the stuff you saw there would make for some great photography!

Oct 07, 2017 at 11:50 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password