Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Hockey photographers, need advice

Mark Kuhlmann
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey photographers, need advice

Hello all,

My University finally has approval to cut holes in the plexiglass for photographers to use. I've shot hockey for several years, but always in the middle of the rink "box" and in the catwalks/concourse. I'm looking for suggestions on hole placement around the rink, seems like 4-8 holes total is what most NHL arenas use? Any templates/advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:02 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey photographers, need advice

USA Hockey and the NCAA would be a good place to start. The Rangers and Islanders do not have shooting holes and with all the Tournaments our son attended, I never experienced a rink holes.

Good luck

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:09 PM
FaulknersFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey photographers, need advice

If I remember correctly, the Canes have 6. Basically, if you are looking directly across the ice, there is a hole slightly ahead of and behind each goal on the opposite side of the bench and one right behind the goal on the same side as the bench.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey photographers, need advice

My thinking.... You want a hole looking up ice on each end, ideally one that is on the same side of the rink as the bench. Then you often find one a little up from the goal line and one a little in from the blue line -- sometimes on both sides of the rink each end, sometimes not. The pro rink I shot at had the holes in panes at the end of the stairs for the seats, which went right down to the glass. I like the idea of one in the corner panes of glass so you can look either up ice or cross ice to the goal. I think the AC Centre in Toronto has one of those. The semi-pro rink I shot at last year only had holes mid-way between the goal line and blue line, which was really a terrible position -- can't really shoot offense or defence from there. Far and away my favourite is one looking up ice, but then I liked shooting through it with my 500... made things look a bit like a video game.

Oct 07, 2017 at 12:14 AM
bcmusher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey photographers, need advice

Here is a link to some information on photographic holes in glass at hockey rinks

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=15569

Bonnie

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:29 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey photographers, need advice

That Sportsshooter article touches on the size and shape, which I've found to be important.

My daughter's university just added glass with holes last year. First time I've had a rink with holes. They only have one at each end, located between the face off circle and the end line.

I'm grateful to have something, but they could have done better. The holes are round and only a little bigger than a 70-200. That really limits how much one can pivot to shoot towards the blue line. They are also too deep in the zone, unless you are after goalie shots. Luckily the rest of the glass is clean and good quality, so shooting through it isn't that bad.

Mark

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password