New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

JimmyJames
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

As always, I am in search of the perfect camera case.

Canon Gear:

2 x Pro Bodies (1 DX Mark II/5D Mark IV)
400 f4 DO
300 f2.8L or 200 f2L
70-200 f2.8L
24-70 f2.8L
2 x 600ex-rt

and other odds and ends.

I typically drive to locations and if I fly, I do pare way down and have a case or two for that task.

Suggestions?

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:40 AM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

Pelican is pretty hard to beat. You couldn't fit all that in a 1510 but one of the larger models should easily be able to handle it.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

Pelican cases are very heavy before you put anything inside and no need for a weatherproof case if it is going to inside the car or your hotel room all the time. I like the rolling cases as I can get inside to remove items and they have extra pockets for small items and a laptop, etc. which is not nearly as doable with a Pelican case.

One exception but an expensive one is to get a Pelican case and then add dividers and add the lid insert for smaller items but the total cost is more than a regular rolling case. Although I have two of these, one for photo and the other for sound gear, but most of the time I use a couple backpacks instead.

I have one backpack with telephoto lenses and accessories and a smaller backpack with landscape lenses and a pano kit, or loaded with macro gear depending upon where I am traveling.

I find that having the backpack on the back set works very well and if I had a hard case it would have to be in the trunk as it is going to slide around a lot while driving.

Oct 10, 2017 at 05:17 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

It's hard to beat the protection offered by a Pelican. A Pelican 1510 (and her variations) as well as the new lightweight Pelican 1535 Air are ideal camera cases---that are also roller cases. Lots of options and configurations.

This Pelican series also are carry-on compliant. BUT, the kicker is this---there is no guarantee that you can take your carry on with you on board smaller planes. This is where having the Pelican is so important for both security and protection if you are forced to gate-check your gear. I wouldn't trust any other case if forced to gate-check.

There really is no such thing as the perfect camera case, which is why photographers have closets full of bags and cases

Oct 10, 2017 at 05:48 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

All of that and more can fit in the Moose Peterson MP1 by Mindshift gear. The bag is light, but nicely padded. Were it not for your 70-200, it would fit in the smaller MP-3 too.

Oct 10, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

JimmyJames wrote:
As always, I am in search of the perfect camera case.

Canon Gear:

2 x Pro Bodies (1 DX Mark II/5D Mark IV)
400 f4 DO
300 f2.8L or 200 f2L
70-200 f2.8L
24-70 f2.8L
2 x 600ex-rt

and other odds and ends.

I typically drive to locations and if I fly, I do pare way down and have a case or two for that task.

Suggestions?
If I needed to and wasnt going to be a on a small (2 seats and one seat per row) jet, I would use my Think Tank Airport International and my backpack. I could fit all of that stuff in those two items and still have my ipad and a set of headphones for international flying.

Oct 20, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

You did not make it clear if you only wanted a case, or if you would like the option to carry all that on your back for short distances. For just a case, I would recommend the thinkTANK Airport Security roller case. You obviously know about their smaller International version in that series. The Airport Security is ideal for working out of a car, and also is easy to take to and from the car when you get to a room or your home. Your list of items will likely just fit, but you might not be able to include both big lenses.

If you do want to carry things on your back, you should check out the MindShift FirstLight 40L. It has a lot of room, but again, might not have quite enough room for all of what you want to get in. And of course if you are going to carry it on your back, being able to add a tripod on the outside of the bag is handy.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Transporting Multiple Big Lenses/Pro Bodies

I have never had to gate check a bag in my many years of flying. Even with very small 6-passenger planes I take my bag to the plane and it is loaded while I watch. On a return flight from Turks and Caicos on a small plane my checked Pelican case came out from the baggage in Florida and it had been pulverized. It looked like a 747 landed on its. Fortunately it was on the return leg and I could transfer my gear to cardboard boxes.

What I cannot carry onto the plane stays at home. Too much chance for gear getting lost in transit or stolen by TSA and airline employees or badly damaged. It takes more thought and creativity to get around the airline restrictions and I have learned to avoid United and Delta altogether, but the effort is well worth it.

Oct 23, 2017 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.