FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

joefoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

Was quoting previous poster. Try to keep up.

Oct 08, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

As always I have no clue what the number means or whether they completely made it up but the charts they provide alongside it are interesting.

gdsf2 wrote:
If you use manual focus lenses, on a tripod, and take one frame at a time, I agree, stick with the D810 or even the D800e.

To me this is the person who needs this camera, and you've contradicted your previous paragraph. The live view of the D800E was worthless garbage (I bought and returned it). Even the D810 due to the far lower screen resolution is a huge step behind the D850 in this use case. And the tilt screen is invaluable for tripod work

Oct 08, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

sjms wrote:
everyone sees something different in an image once their mind is set on what they think they will see.

The joys of confirmation bias. Some of the responses to comparisons posted on this forum are hilarious.

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:28 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · DXO on the D850 - First to hit 100

joefoo wrote:
DXO and Bill Claff disagree on the relationship between the dynamic range curves of the D750 and the D850. DXO has the D850 leading the D750 for most of the ISO range, Bill Claff's data say the opposite. I thought perhaps the DXO algorithm gave the D850 some added bonus for higher pixel count, but they have the Canon 5DS curve well below both Nikons. Bill Claff has the 5DS beating the D850 above ISO 1200.

Also instructive is the fact that DXO rates the D500 and the D750 about even above ISO 300.

Based on data from my eyeballs, I think
...Show more

One aspect that quantitative measurements of noise don't consider is qualitative aspects, especially how well the read noise is balanced between the color channels. The D850 inherited the D500's improvement in this respect, as it eliminates the magenta cast in the deep shadows. Here's a sample:

D850 vs D750 vs D810 vs D5, DR +6EV Dpreview Widget

Oct 08, 2017 at 05:52 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password