New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

shutter replacement .

jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shutter replacement .

If you send a camera body in for shutter service and shutter replacement, does Nikon resets the internal count in the camera to zero in the menu?

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:48 PM
wtidwell85

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shutter replacement .

jaybird555 wrote:
If you send a camera body in for shutter service and shutter replacement, does Nikon resets the internal count in the camera to zero in the menu?

No

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:12 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shutter replacement .

They did on my D3 "back in the day", but not on my D4 2 years ago.

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:26 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shutter replacement .

That sucks, Canon does the same thing. There goes your resale value on used cameras.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:17 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shutter replacement .

People who buy a used camera use the shutter actuations as a proxy for how much the camera has been used in general, not just the shutter. A well used camera is a well used camera, even if it has a new shutter.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:21 PM
lbloom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shutter replacement .

Perhaps keeping a good record would help. For instance, the shutter replacement service receipts, and personal notes/screenshots of the shutter counter number at the time of replacement.

Much like a used car with complete paperwork on, say, timing belt replacement at 100k.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bwaterme
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shutter replacement .

Seems right that they wouldn’t. Would be like resetting the odometer of a car when you get a new engine. Car still has xxx,xxx miles on it.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shutter replacement .

bwaterme wrote:
Seems right that they wouldn’t. Would be like resetting the odometer of a car when you get a new engine. Car still has xxx,xxx miles on it.

I'm going with this.

Sure, the shutter (and mirror flap, etc) are the parts that get the most wear, but shutter count is indicative of camera use/life as a whole.

Here's a solution: shutter count says 115,000, but it was serviced at Nikon last January where they replaced the shutter, adjusted the AF, tightened some screws, gave it a cleaning. Here's the work order documenting this.

Now buy my camera.

Problem solved!

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:57 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shutter replacement .

jaybird555 wrote:
That sucks, Canon does the same thing. There goes your resale value on used cameras.

Right...

Because that used camera body, that had a shutter replaced at 250,000 shots, now has the same value as a kindly old man's camera body with only 3,000 actuation's on it which has always been garaged because it's his Sunday driver.

Shutters replaced, but it still has a cracked radiator and needs tires, a new transmission, rear end, U-joints, ball joints, and has a squirrel still living in the body somewhere.

The value of that high mileage body has been transferred over time to all the beautiful images it's taken and memories provided. It no longer resides in the body itself.

What you really get out of a shutter replacement is to continue using that body for a while longer, rather than dropping another $3,300 on a new camera.

Oct 08, 2017 at 02:28 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shutter replacement .

I KNEW IT !!! That squeak I've heard in my camera it's a squirrel living in the body somewhere. I hope it doesn't come out when I'm looking in the viewfinder and bites my nose.

Oct 08, 2017 at 08:02 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shutter replacement .

Worry about your eye!

Oct 08, 2017 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password