FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sharpening techniques and different applications

Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

spoupard wrote:
I use Adobe Bridge as my DAM and Affinity as my editor. Bridge isn't the most powerful DAM, but for my volume of photos it works fine. As far as Affinity goes, I haven't found anything that I've wanted to do, but can't. It may not be perfect, but it works great for my purposes.

I've just started with Affinity Photo and it's superb. It's like Photoshop for the 21:st century rather then Photoshop from the 1990's
And add to that, the program is very new and already as powerful as it is and they add new features quite fast.

Using Bridge as a DAM might be an option if I stop using both Lightroom and Capture One.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Ok, so second post photo (more to come, have a few different to show and try).
The post will again be about sharpening but considering people wanna know about C1 as well I'll try and add in some more things to that.

This first shot i straight on import. Lightroom, Capture One and Affinity Photo again.

Lightroom: RAW File imported with zero adjustments apart from those that are applied as standard, which is only 25 points of sharpening and 25 points in detail. No luminance noise reduction only color noise reduction at 25, 50 and 50. Adobe Standard profile under camera profile. No other adjustments so the file is as zeroed as I believe I can get it in LR.

Capture one: Same story, imported without any profile or adjustments. Capture One normally imports files with an auto curve adjustment but it applies quite heavy contrast. I have chosen to import using a linear curve instead. I believe this zeroes the RAW file as much as possible. I suspect that Lightrooms standard profile might be somewhere in between Capture Ones linear curve and auto curve as the file in Lightroom is lighter and looks a bit better. All imported files in C1 still have sharpening and noise reduction applied as standard. I usually chance this and add some extra but they sharpening and noise reduction settings are actually profiled for cameras and lenses and depending on how you shoot, with what lens, camera and ISO combination the settings change. C1 applies more sharpening as standard but also more noise reduction. In my eyes I often get a cleaner file (noise wise) from C1.

At first glance, with no adjustments, I'd say that Lightroom is more true to the histogram I saw during the shot. In Capture One I have to dial in about 1,5 stops of extra exposure to get somewhat similar result to Lightrooms standard profile. If however I choose and auto curve in Capture One the entire picture comes alive but it also has a tendency so overexpose the highlights with quite a bit.

Affinity Photo has zero adjustments applied to it as it does nothing on importing, not even any sharpness. I does add some color noise reduction though and that is all. Expect the AP example to be softest of them all from the start, don't judge the program by this though!

So, first shots, LR, C1 and AP in that order. Wings are in focus btw, not much else.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Olympus 60mm Macro F2.8 @ F2.8. ISO 200 1/320 second exposure.

Crops coming in a few hours!

Lightroom

E-M1    OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro lens    60mm    f/2.8    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Capture One

E-M1    Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro lens    60mm    f/2.8    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Affinity Photo

E-M1    OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro lens    60mm    f/2.8    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Crops. All else same as above.

Lightroom.
Capture One.
Affinity Photo.

Lightroom

Capture One

E-M1    Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro lens    60mm    f/2.8    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Affinity Photo

Oct 14, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Ops, sorry about the watermark in the first crop.

And I will post more tomorrow with actual sharpening and edits. Too late now and I kind of ran out of time today!

Oct 14, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Sorry regarding the late reply. Here are the crops, sharpened in Lightroom and Affinty Photo. Lightroom with added sharpening and Affinity Photo with a layer of unsharp mask. I did not use the raw developer sharpening here but will experiment with it later. Capture One has got the same sharpening as default.

I've brought the exposure up to try and get the shots close to each other. In Capture One, with the linear profile chosen, this ment pushing the exposure 1,75 stops. This would have been unnecessary had I used another profile which makes me wonder. If I shoot with a normal profile and shoot for use in C1, I need to be more careful with my highlights. If however I shoot for a linear profile I can have a brighter exposure in camera. This too requires some more experimentation.

I will keep this thread alive a bit longer and have it evolve in to a "program vs program" rather then pure sharpening. Maybe it should have been posted in the post process forum instead but heck...

Same as before, Lightroom, C1 and AP.

Ps. I am NOT accustomed to Affinity Photo OR Photoshop which means my sharpening techniques in Affinity Photo aren't really there yet. I added the program as a little wild card as it's more of a Photoshop alternative then it is an alternative to LR and C1. I am quite confident I can get as good or better sharpening with AP if I learn it well.

Lightroom

Oct 15, 2017 at 01:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Looks to me like this is more of a contrast/clarity issue than a sharpness issue. The LR version has lower contrast and thatís easily correctable.

Iím glad you posted this here rather than the post-processing forum, as I would have missed it completely and this subject is of interest to me.

Oct 15, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

bobbytan wrote:
Looks to me like this is more of a contrast/clarity issue than a sharpness issue. The LR version has lower contrast and thatís easily correctable.

Iím glad you posted this here rather than the post-processing forum, as I would have missed it completely and this subject is of interest to me.

Very true. Remeber, these are all straight from import with Lightroom Adobe Standard profile and C1 linear profile. But even the linear profile in C1 seems to have higher contrast.

I will post the examples, with crops, with some adjustments as well. I will post more examples as well.

Oct 15, 2017 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

bobbytan wrote:

Very true. Remember, these are all straight from import with Lightroom Adobe Standard profile and C1 linear profile. But even the linear profile in C1 seems to have higher contrast.

I will post the examples, with crops, with some adjustments as well. I will post more examples as well.

Oct 15, 2017 at 04:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

This is an interesting take ....
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1513270/0#14219359

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:11 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

This may be narrowed down to AP and C1 for me, after receiving an email from Adobe just now.
Although I prefer to use LightRoom, Adobe looks to be eventually moving LR to the cloud with a whopping 20GB of storage (and only for a limited time, at that).
Since I have 100s of GB's of images and find that the local version of LR is slow enough, never mind trying to use it via the net, I will move away from LR the minute they drop support for what they are now calling LightRoom Classic.
I may be over-reacting and assuming something that may not happen, but I have seen it too many times before.

Kim

Oct 18, 2017 at 05:07 PM
kwalsh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

kimknapp wrote:
TI will move away from LR the minute they drop support for what they are now calling LightRoom Classic.

I give it fair odds this will never happen and it is a certainty it won't happen anytime soon. Pushing 40+MP RAW files to the cloud and then editing them is just not going to happen unless a whole lot else gets solved outside Adobe's control. Classic will be around for a good long while.

The more possible case is that Classic will not develop much if Adobe decides to abandon what I'll call the "wedding market" but really includes pretty much all event photography and photojournalism. But that market will still exist - high input volume, low output volume, very fast turn around - and the "cloud" will *never* address this market. So Adobe abandons it someone else will take it over. It might be one of the alternatives being discussed here that does!

Oct 18, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

Like I said before, I have very high hopes for Affinity and their release of a DAM, or digital asset manager such as Lightroom. Considering how Photo performs right now and how modern it feels I think that a LR alternative from Affinity could do really well. Specially if they price it like their other products. They have also said they are working on a Adobe In Design alternative, they already have an Illustrator alternative which was their first release.

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:24 PM
kimknapp
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sharpening techniques and different applications

I think in the short term Adobe saw a large increase in income from the CC initiative, but it may backfire on them, if others can do a good job without paying monthly fees.

Oct 18, 2017 at 09:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password