New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

In processing files from my new 5D4, it seems as though I am very often knocking down the exposure to get my desired results. This is in sharp contrast to my 7D2 where I felt I was almost always adding a bit of light. No complaints either way, but, as this is my first full framer, I am curious is there is something intrinsic crop VS. FF where my exposures have shifted a bit. Seems to be a about a 1/3 to 1/2 stop difference between the bodies.

Oct 06, 2017 at 05:14 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I havent had a lot of opportunity to shoot over a long stretch, but here are a couple shots with the EV noted for them....

İHerb 2017

No EV

İHerb 2017

No EV

İHerb 2017

No EV

Oct 06, 2017 at 05:47 AM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I am not entirely surprised. I am convinced by 7D2 underexposed by about half a stop compared to my 7D - and people have mentioned this apparent 'underexposure' for the 1Dx2 and 5D4 elsewhere.

Are you shooting with the same lens on both cameras? Different lenses have different transmission of light so if you are using EF-S lenses vs L lenses that may explain it.
Are you spot metering? Shooting manual or Av/Tv? If you are having to crop differently then the different ratios of subject to background may affect it.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:12 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Always manual, same lens. Shooting birds the hour before sunset. It just seems that with similar settings the 5D4 sensor is gathering a touch more light.......

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

OK, so if you are applying the same settings with the same lens and then cropping to the same FOV (sensor size becomes irrelevant) this does suggest the sensor itself is collecting more light per unit area. Not sure what is happening unless there is some noise reduction wizardry going on that gives the image above the noise floor?

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Clicky94

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Even if you use the same lens on both cameras then the field of view with the full frame is causing the metering to be obtained from a larger area, unless you are going to photograph a flat untextured surface under even lighting then I don't see how you can make a true comparison.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

When we were shooting nothing but film we would test a new emulsion batch and make corrections for it. Color corrections, ISO variance and the like. With sheet film Kodak even put color balance filtration in the box for you to start with to balance it to a neutral standart.
With B&W we had variances from batch to batch and developers used.

Then the fact shutter speeds, light transmission through glass, apertures not spot on - any number of small things that could effect the final image.

Compansate for the difference in exposure from the bodies and keep track to make sure it is the same in bright/dim light and hot/cold conditions so you have it under control. Keeps from the odd surprise.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I don't have a 7D2 but back when I was comparing my 7D vs 5D2 and 3 using a 100-400 with and without 1.4x I noticed that the 5Ds with the 1.4x would use the same exposure settings as the 7D without the 1.4x. i.e. a one stop difference. I sold the 7D and kept the 1.4x. I've also noticed that I use exposure compensation less with my 5D3 and 4 than I did with my first two 5D generations.

BTW those F4 Corsairs were always among my favorite airplanes along with the PBY Catalina. Always wanted to fly one. In my training I flew the T28 which had a single bank R1820 engine; the Corsair had a double bank R2800. The numbers refer to the cubic inch displacement and each bank had 9 cylinders. Heavy metal thunder indeed!

Oct 06, 2017 at 04:08 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

What lens/aperture?

FF will have more vignetting with the same lens, resulting in darker corners in photos, which could result in different behavior from the automatic metering (i.e. the centers will be brighter).

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:15 PM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I've always thought Canon was 1/3 to 1/2 a stop underexposed outdoors. Only my 5D Mark III/IV seem to nail it.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I have a 1dx, 1DIV, and 5DIII that I shoot side by side at events. At the same exposure, my 1Dx always is about 1/2 stop darker. I just know it and adjust.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:20 PM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Interesting comments.

1) I have owned 5D3 and 7D2 at the same time - 7D2 had almost zero headroom before whites would blow - whereas I found that the 5D3 was always 2/3rds of a stop underexposed for my liking. The whole ETTR became a huge thing back then and I'm pretty sure Canon deliberately moved the 7D2 in that direction.

2) I have owned the 5D3 and the 5DSR at the same time. 5DSR was 'similar' to the 7D2 but maybe the slightest bit less aggressive - but in general I find the exposure to be very good.

3) I currently own the 5DSR and a 1DXii. I find them very similar - exposure is basically spot on.

To me, the big change is 5D3 to everything newer than the 5D3. I'm not saying the 5D3 exposure is wrong, but in my opinion, it seems like they deliberately built in at least a 1/2 stop safety window which they now have 'mostly' removed because they are more comfortable with their newer metering system's accuracy.

Oct 07, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

There is an EC menu setting so you can match your cameras or expectations.

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Dave_E
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

I have both cameras and would agree with your findings. My 7DII seems to require +2/3 of a stop and my 5DIV -1/3 of a stop for similar exposure.

Dave

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

My second comment on this one.

Think of the camera bodies like your vehicle. On getting a new vehicle you don't know where Empty actually is for gas compared to the guage. At the E, below or above it?

A bit of experience and you figure it out. Some are just before the E mark - even with digital 'miles left' on the computer read outs.

So, you check and drive secure in the knowlege you know when you can push it.

Same with the cameras. A bit of testing and you know the exposure variations between your bodies. Adjust accordingly and you are fine.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:06 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

The 30D was about 1/3 stop faster than the 40D, when I looked, so it may be more of a body to body difference, than ff vs aps.

Oct 12, 2017 at 02:50 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

My 5D4 and 7D2 are very close in exposure when using the identical settings and same scene, no more than maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 stop apart. Certainly not 1 stop apart... Now if I use automated modes like Tv and Av, it is hard to compare because not all settings, metering, etc translate from one to the other all the time, which can cause exposure differences. However again, in manual mode, I barely notice a difference.

Even when I had a 5D3, no huge difference...

Oct 12, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Under warranty you can send the body in and they will zero the exposure to what ever you want. It is not uncommon for pros to do this with every camera.

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:07 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Dave_E wrote:
I have both cameras and would agree with your findings. My 7DII seems to require +2/3 of a stop and my 5DIV -1/3 of a stop for similar exposure.

Dave

Very same adjustments I use for both cameras.

Oct 12, 2017 at 06:18 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Exposure differences 7D2 vs. 5D4

Many find two identical cameras of the same model will have differences in exposure. Between models with different exposure metering technology, It would be a surprise if they were the same. It is difficult to compare the two, getting the same composition and light levels are not intuitive processes. If you get closer to a subject with a crop camera to get the same composition, the light intensity changes, so you do not have a valid comparison. If you use zooms to get the same composition, light intensity will likely also be affected.

Oct 14, 2017 at 02:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password