FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

arbitrage wrote:
I'm sure we will see many of these "spec" i.e. wish lists over the next year until Canon does release a 7D3 which will almost certainly fall short of these wish lists and the 20 page moaning thread will begin

Sad, but true. Canon's days of leapfrogging other companies seems to have died out. They are the market leader and certainly are successful but lack any compete level lately. Would love to see them prove me wrong however. I've got enough invested in Canon lenses to want to stay with them but you see what's out there for bodies and it's frustrating.

Oct 07, 2017 at 05:31 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

Yeah sadly that is true and my Canon lens investments keep me from straying. I tried the D500 with a Sigma tele zoom at our local mom and pop store. Although I found initial AF acquisition painfully slow I did some bursts of people driving bu with their windows rolled down which did make me feel in comfortable. When I got home I was impressed. I didn't know what I was doing and every capture was bang on.

I am not unhappy but if Canon offered a crop with 1DX II focusing I'd pay more for it.

Oct 07, 2017 at 05:49 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

ggreene wrote:
Sad, but true. Canon's days of leapfrogging other companies seems to have died out. They are the market leader and certainly are successful but lack any compete level lately. Would love to see them prove me wrong however. I've got enough invested in Canon lenses to want to stay with them but you see what's out there for bodies and it's frustrating.

So their developing anti-flicker and DPAF doesn't register on your list of useful developments? By 'leapfrogging' you seem to be limiting your definition to dynamic range on the sensor? Personally I love the way Canon handles and how it beats every other manufacturer in that respect.
Even the much-maligned lack of 4K - have you been to Nikon forums and read how they hate Nikon implements 4k?

Canon seems to aim at delivering what it thinkgs the average user in that target market will find useful. They have not (so far) pandered to the spec-sheet warriors but I think that will change because 'trial by social media' will become more important than advertising.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have a camera with full 4k, 13-stop DR 50MP sensor, but given an either/or option I like it the way it is because what I use 99% of the time is right there.

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:26 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

IndyFab wrote:
So the question begs to be asked,...... does Canon actually have someone reading social media like this forum for what folks are talking about with regards to there DSLR's, to give feedback to the decision makers up the chain.

Is everyone just wasting data space venting there wants and disappointments with present production models?

I have heard from a couple of sources that the Canon execs were horrified by the response to the 6D2. But if you think about it, that is the only real howler they have had for many years. Everything else has been criticised when announced but users have been delighted with what the overall package delivers.
I don't think has ever been particularly good at trumpeting its own successes, and I find that many of the real developments come in the deeper functionalities.

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:29 PM
dreamlander

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

Sy Sez wrote:
Unless Canon has recently developed an extraordinary advance in sensor technology, the notion that they could get 30MP on APS-C with "acceptable" Noise/DR performance seems highly unlikely.

The 30 mp and af are the most interesting specs to me, and I would think one of the most important to the camera's main user set, wildlife. But I to doubt we will see 30 mp.

I don't understand the idea of more pixels= worse noise? Since the beginning, digitals camera have continuously gained mega pixels and have gotten better "acceptable" noise. The cameras with the most "acceptable" noise today are also some of the highest mp sensors.

Oct 07, 2017 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

Mikehit wrote:
By 'leapfrogging' you seem to be limiting your definition to dynamic range on the sensor?

No, my definition is consistent AF tracking like the D500 has. A 7D3 should be better then a D500 not just catching up with it. I have little hope that Canon will even give the 7D3 what it should have at bare minimum and that's 1DX2 AF processing. They continue to lock features into market segments while the competition has already broke out of those constraints.

Sony has an A99ii and A9, Nikon has the D500 and now D850. At some point I'd like to see Canon throw caution to the wind and come out with something cutting edge. They need the body equivalent of an 11-24/4 or 200-400/4 with built in TC. Something that hasn't been done before.

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

Zenon Char wrote:
I believe they get a lot of feedback from pros that are well known and published.

I have decided to answer this more conclusively. No they don't read forums. Since getting my 7D2 I have been whining on several sties about Canon adding drive mode to the "Detail Set".

AI Servo kicks in when I use the AF-ON. AI Servo, Case 6 and 65 point zone (61 with 5D4) kick in when I use the * button. Drive Mode would complete it here for me. I think a simple FW change could do it?

Oct 08, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

Zenon Char wrote:
I have decided to answer this more conclusively. No they don't read forums. Since getting my 7D2 I have been whining on several sties about Canon adding drive mode to the "Detail Set".

AI Servo kicks in when I use the AF-ON. AI Servo, Case 6 and 65 point zone (61 with 5D4) kick in when I use the * button. Drive Mode would complete it here for me. I think a simple FW change could do it?

You could use C1, C2, C3 for that.
But how often do you want to change frame speed for a given situation? .

Oct 08, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Camera Ears, specs for the 7DIII

I do but I would still like to see that feature added.

Oct 08, 2017 at 11:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password