New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Nikon Drone

Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Drone

Picked up a DJI Mavic Pro yesterday and couldn't find a single thread on FredMiranda for drones... couple comments:

1. Have any of you explored drone photography?
2. Do you think Nikon would ever revive/repurpose the 1 mount for drone photography.
3. Throw out your work if you've gotten into it! Want to see what others here have done, will post my own once I have a moment to take it for a spin.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Drone

The Mavic is awesome! I've only really used mine for play, so far though, so nothing worth showing, here.

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that the more massive your camera/lens, the more heavy-duty any gimbal system would need to be, and extra weight directly affects battery life. This is probably why the Mavic camera is so tiny.

Congrats on your new toy.

C

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Drone

I sold my seldom used Nikon Coolpix A and Sony Rx100 (my wife's) to fund the purchase... got it for $810 new at BestBuy so it only cost me $200 out of pocket!

I agree they wouldn't use that mount for Mavic competitor, but more along the lines of the more professional line they offer.

Chris Court wrote:
The Mavic is awesome! I've only really used mine for play, so far though, so nothing worth showing, here.

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that the more massive your camera/lens, the more heavy-duty any gimbal system would need to be, and extra weight directly affects battery life. This is probably why the Mavic camera is so tiny.

Congrats on your new toy.

C

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Drone

The GF has been wanting a mavic. We will probably get one at some point. We recently acquired one of those handheld gimbal stabilizer gadgets for her gopro, so that's been occupying our time as of late.

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:26 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Drone

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Picked up a DJI Mavic Pro yesterday and couldn't find a single thread on FredMiranda for drones... couple comments:

1. Have any of you explored drone photography?
2. Do you think Nikon would ever revive/repurpose the 1 mount for drone photography.
3. Throw out your work if you've gotten into it! Want to see what others here have done, will post my own once I have a moment to take it for a spin.

There are at least 2 threads about drones on FM.

Official drone photography IMAGE thread. (Not primarily for discussion, see post #1)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462449

Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501189

K-H.

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:45 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Drone

Didn't see that! Still want to keep this thread alive because interested in others view re Nikon ever entering the market. Thanks!

k-h.a.w wrote:
There are at least 2 threads about drones on FM.

Official drone photography IMAGE thread. (Not primarily for discussion, see post #1)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462449

Official drone DISCUSSION thread (not primarily for images)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1501189

K-H.

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:55 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Drone

I don't even want to think of what Nikon would want for a drone. 7K for the drone, 5K for the remote, 2k for a charger and 300 bucks per battery is my best guess.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Drone

You forget $4k for the battery grip that increases the top speed .

runamuck wrote:
I don't even want to think of what Nikon would want for a drone. 7K for the drone, 5K for the remote, 2k for a charger and 300 bucks per battery is my best guess.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:37 AM
zoetmb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Drone

Considering that most of the Cooplix line was garbage (except perhaps for the AW series and the Coolpix A), that they cancelled the DL line and that the KeyMissions are apparently not successful, I doubt very much that Nikon would enter the market. It's a niche market and with ever increasing restrictions on drone photography, it's not a growth market AFAIK and there are already plenty of competitors. Drones need great software and Nikon is lousy at that. They're also lousy at wireless communications. I don't see what Nikon brings to the party except perhaps for lens quality. And even if they were good at all that stuff, they probably couldn't compete on price as Runamuck points out.

Oct 06, 2017 at 05:28 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Drone

DJI has 70% of the market... not sure that qualifies as a competitive market. Also, absolutely an expanding market, but to each their own.

zoetmb wrote:
Considering that most of the Cooplix line was garbage (except perhaps for the AW series and the Coolpix A), that they cancelled the DL line and that the KeyMissions are apparently not successful, I doubt very much that Nikon would enter the market. It's a niche market and with ever increasing restrictions on drone photography, it's not a growth market AFAIK and there are already plenty of competitors. Drones need great software and Nikon is lousy at that. They're also lousy at wireless communications. I don't see what Nikon brings to the party except perhaps for lens quality. And even
...Show more

Oct 06, 2017 at 05:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

guitardirky
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Drone

Does anyone have a rig that will fly a D810?

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:58 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Drone

It's not my rig, but I've seen this in flight

guitardirky wrote:

NightOwl Cat 2017

NIKON D2X    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    122mm    f/6.3    1/350s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NightOwl Cat 2017

NIKON D2X    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    175mm    f/13.0    1/180s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Drone

I have 2 drones, one is the Mavic Pro. I like it's small size and portability. Easy to fly and fun to use.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:42 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Drone

And found the video I captured of the rig in flight. Be prepared for the high pitch whine of the motors

guitardirky wrote:

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:25 PM
PIOK
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Drone

What I like about drones is very easy way to see how a place looks like > but is not really perspective you will find once you get there

What I don't like: You will not be able to hike and capture similar photos without using your own drone. I can't also imagine go to some amazing places and have 5 drones flying above my head

BTW... some great photos from New Zealand taken from drone ( again - I won't be able to capture this )

http://www.addicted-to-passion.com/2016/05/23/nowa-zelandia-z-drona/

There is not need for Nikon Drones if we have so many very good from brands who specialized in this market

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:17 PM
guitardirky
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Drone

My biggest caveat with the DJI stuff that I've tried out is that there is no iris control. I think for shooting landscapes you would need to be able to stop down much more to improve the sharpness factor.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:26 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Drone

guitardirky wrote:
My biggest caveat with the DJI stuff that I've tried out is that there is no iris control. I think for shooting landscapes you would need to be able to stop down much more to improve the sharpness factor.

The DJI Phantom 4 Pro has an adjustable aperture.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:50 PM
guitardirky
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Drone

jeraldcook wrote:
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro has an adjustable aperture.

Yeah, I think its the only one on the market right now that does. It's also a 20mp camera as well.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:14 PM
Desertcruiser
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Drone

...and i got it a few days ago, the phantom 4 pro.
An awesome toy. I will take it to the desert soon...

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Drone

guitardirky wrote:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087654-REG/dji_cp_sb_000129r_spreading_wings_s1000_professional.html

24lb TO load

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password