New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

coops75

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

I like the look of metallic paper prints for my work and the average cost of having them done at a lab is $7 for a 12 x 18. I like this size for 18 x 24 matt's. I need about 50 prints for an upcoming show and will need more for a couple of shows at the end of the year. So that's $350 right off the bat. I am considering getting a small printer and doing my own. One advantage of this other than possibly cost, is that I can re-print for the next day, not have to wait a week for shipping or pay for priority shipping.
If anyone has experience printing on metallic paper I would appreciate any advice, on what printer and paper, and if you think, given what info I have given, its worth my while? Cheers

Oct 05, 2017 at 09:04 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

The metallic paper prints no differently than a glossy paper.

You may want a printer that uses a "chroma optimizer" to reduce bronzing, and a printer that doesn't have matte and photo black ink switching.

Then you either print straight out of the box, or use paper vendor profiles, or make your own profiles.

Small printers with small ink tanks will cost a small fortune to run, more than a printer with 80ml ink tanks.

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:15 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

You might want to have a couple of test prints made (or make your own) on inkjet metallic paper. It's quite a bit different in look and feel than the metallic papers that are processed with chemicals. If you're used to the real photo paper metallics, you might not like the inkjet versions.

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:21 AM
coops75

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

danski0224 wrote:
The metallic paper prints no differently than a glossy paper.

You may want a printer that uses a "chroma optimizer" to reduce bronzing, and a printer that doesn't have matte and photo black ink switching.

Then you either print straight out of the box, or use paper vendor profiles, or make your own profiles.

Small printers with small ink tanks will cost a small fortune to run, more than a printer with 80ml ink tanks.

Thanks for this. Just read that someone figured it costs about $.90 to print an 8x10 with this printer. I would guess $2 in ink for a 12 x 18, give or take, plus the cost of the paper. I do see why using a printer with larger carts would be cheaper in the long run.

Oct 05, 2017 at 11:23 AM
coops75

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

Peter Figen wrote:
You might want to have a couple of test prints made (or make your own) on inkjet metallic paper. It's quite a bit different in look and feel than the metallic papers that are processed with chemicals. If you're used to the real photo paper metallics, you might not like the inkjet versions.

Good advice. How does this printer handle glossy prints?

Oct 05, 2017 at 11:24 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

I have been very happy with the Epson R3000. It has some of the best archival printing I've seen. It is especially good with printer managed b&w printing. The R3000 has some issues that can be found by looking in printing forums - I have had very few issues. It has been replaced by the Epson SureColor P600. Cost around $800 (has a $150 mail in rebate right now).

It does use (waste) ink when switching between glossy and matte blacks. If you are printing to metallic paper, I expect you will be using glossy black ink most of the time. The ink cartridges for this class of printer are larger than smaller format printers, but still only about 25ml each. To get the large 80ml size cartridges means going to even larger format printers. Initial cost goes up (about double) and finding a place to place the printer in a home environment can be a bit difficult.

The R3000 has fairly large ink cartridges, but it does take 8 of them, so a full set from Epson costs around $250. Cone makes low cost, HIGH quality bulk ink that can cut that cost by about 70%. Note that a 12x18 is about 2.7 times the size of an 8x10.

I have been using Red River 66lb Polar Perl Metallic. Really like for b&w and was surprised at how much I like it for some of my color work. I use Red River's ICC profile - easy to use with my Mac and the Epson R3000. 13x19 box of 50 sheets costs about $100 (20 sheets for $55).

Red River Paper has a large selection of papers and sizes at a reasonable price. I've had excellent service from RRP - quick shipping and always arrives in perfect condition.

I am just a hobbyist photographer and home printer. I have no ties to either Epson or Red River - just wanted to give a specific example of what has worked well for me.

Jim

Oct 05, 2017 at 12:50 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

coops75 wrote:
Thanks for this. Just read that someone figured it costs about $.90 to print an 8x10 with this printer. I would guess $2 in ink for a 12 x 18, give or take, plus the cost of the paper. I do see why using a printer with larger carts would be cheaper in the long run.

There are many "cost of printing" numbers for the more popular inkjet printers over at the Red River Paper website.

Oct 05, 2017 at 03:20 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

I use an Epson 3880 (now replaced with the P800) and print to Epson's metallic papers. I tried Red River's metallic as well, but ended up preferring Epson's papers.

But the P800 only prints up to 17" wide (Super C size), so won't suffice for your 18" desire. You'll need to go at least to the next size up, which is a huge printer and takes very large and costly cartridges. The nice thing from a cost perspective is that the larger cartridges translate to lower per-print ink costs, but you really need to do a lot of printing to justify 125ml cartridges (the P800's are 80ml).

As previously mentioned, the look of metallic paper prints is quite a bit different from printed-on-metal prints, so you might want to look at samples of both before deciding to print your own. And as mentioned, printing on metallic paper uses glossy settings.

The other thing: "metallic" paper gets its look by adding brighteners. I've read concerns that these can fade over time (a long time) if exposed to UV light, leaving the print with pretty much a regular glossy look. Not a worry for me as my images are framed behind Museum Glass and kept in subdued light, but could be a concern on a strongly sunlit wall.

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:27 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

I use the Canon Pro 10 printer with Moab Metallic. It does a beautiful job.

Oct 05, 2017 at 07:25 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

OP wants to print 12x18 - that works fine on the R3000 or replacement P600, no need to have a printer that prints wider. My R3000 prints fine on 13x19 paper.

From the Epson web site:

P400 - $599 - Maximum printable area 13" x 129" / Maximum cut-sheet size: 13" x 19" - 14ml ink tanks

P600 - $799 - Maximum printable area 13" x 129" / Maximum cut-sheet size: 13" x 19" - 29ml ink tanks

P800 - $1295 - Maximum printable area: 17" x 129" / Maximum cut-sheet size: 17" x 22" - 64ml ink tanks

Jim

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:28 AM
coops75

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

carnac wrote:
I have been very happy with the Epson R3000. It has some of the best archival printing I've seen. It is especially good with printer managed b&w printing. The R3000 has some issues that can be found by looking in printing forums - I have had very few issues. It has been replaced by the Epson SureColor P600. Cost around $800 (has a $150 mail in rebate right now).

It does use (waste) ink when switching between glossy and matte blacks. If you are printing to metallic paper, I expect you will be using glossy black ink most of the time.
...Show more

Going to research this printer over the weekend. Thanks

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:02 AM
coops75

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Printing my own metallic paper prints

Abbott Schindl wrote:
I use an Epson 3880 (now replaced with the P800) and print to Epson's metallic papers. I tried Red River's metallic as well, but ended up preferring Epson's papers.

But the P800 only prints up to 17" wide (Super C size), so won't suffice for your 18" desire. You'll need to go at least to the next size up, which is a huge printer and takes very large and costly cartridges. The nice thing from a cost perspective is that the larger cartridges translate to lower per-print ink costs, but you really need to do a lot of printing to
...Show more

Actually looking to print 12 x 18. Have heard good things about the P800 but may be a little out of my price range. Thanks for the input

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.