New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

LightShadow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

I searched online and in the forums here, but couldnít find anything of help.

I canít get any of my 600EX RTs to work in live view mode on both my 5D Mark III and 5DS R cameras. Iím using the ST-E3-RT transmitter, but even if I mount the flashes onto the cameras hot shoe, they simply wonít fire. Reading from the EX RTs manual there is reference that flash should work. Not using live view mode they all work just fine. Is there a particular setting I need to enable?

Thank you for your help.

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:52 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

I just tried my 5DSR with my 600EX-rt on the hotshoe - works in liveview no problem. I had the flash set to ETTL mode - didn't try other modes.

Edited on Oct 06, 2017 at 02:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2017 at 11:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

Check and make sure you have Silent LV mode disabled - the camera doesn't fire the flash in that mode. You can read about this mode on page 208 of the 5DM3 manual.

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:25 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

I check both Silent LV Mode 1 and Mode 2 and both fire the flash on the 5DSR

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:11 AM
LightShadow

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

wallstreetonei wrote:
I just tried my 5DSR with my 600EX-rt on the hotshoe - works in liveview no problem. I had the flash set to ETTL mode - didn't try other modes.

I got mixed up. I meant to reply to to snapsy. Sorry.

Edited on Oct 06, 2017 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShadow

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

wallstreetonei wrote:
I check both Silent LV Mode 1 and Mode 2 and both fire the flash on the 5DSR

Hi wallstreetonei,

The fact that none of my 3 flashes fire on both cameras suggests that the issue lays somewhere in a setting. Iíve checked the cameras settings and the speedlites custom and personal functions, but didnít find a solution to the problem. A call to Canonís customer support might do.

Thanks.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:37 PM
LightShadow

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

snapsy wrote:
Check and make sure you have Silent LV mode disabled - the camera doesn't fire the flash in that mode. You can read about this mode on page 208 of the 5DM3 manual.

Thank you, snapsy.

I believe silent LV mode disabled affects third party flashes only, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I just went through the whole process again: silent LV mode disabled, mode 1 and mode 2, and no flash firing. I tried the speedlites in full automatic ETTL and manual mode, and nothing. Itís so weird.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:41 PM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

almost sounds like a hotshoe connection issue

i will try it with my 1DXii later and post if this also works

i'm also trying to think if there is a custom function flash setting, that you may have for some reason set, that could do such a thing, but there are so many of those that I can't think what it might be

- also try putting the flash in EXT A or EXT M mode and see if any of them fires

Oct 07, 2017 at 10:41 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Speedlite And Live View Shooting Problem

I just tried my 600EX-rt on my 1DXii in Liveview mode and it works - same as on my 5DSR. I tried it with ETTL and with EXT A and EXT M mode and it also works - no issues.

The only way to have it not fire was to go into the Camera's menu and disable flash.

I also didn't see any Flash Fn settings that would disable the flash just because it was in Liveview mode.

So, if what you are saying is true, i.e. your 600EX-rt flashes work, on your 5DSR's hotshoe, when the camera is NOT in Liveview Mode, and then as soon as you switch to LIveview mode, the same flash, still on the camera, won't fire, and you have done nothing except hitting the Liveview button on the camera (i.e. you haven't switched to another camera mode where you may have different stored settings ( i.e. C1, C2, C3)) then I don't have any idea what is wrong because that is as far as my knowledge goes.

The other thing I find crazy is that you have said that this is happening on both your 5D3 and 5DSR and with it sounds like multiple 600EX-rt flashes and yet for me, with a 5DSR and a 1DXii, and multiple 600EX-rt flashes it works fine on both cameras and with different flashes.

Oct 07, 2017 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password