FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Loan for camera gear...?

mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Loan for camera gear...?

JMcDonald84 wrote:
I do want it for a new toy.... lol... but to be honest... the main reason I wanted the a9 was because I hear horror stories about SD cards failing and I don't want to be one of those stories and not have a solid backup option. As soon as I am done with the wedding I run to the car where I have my laptop and immediately back up my photos.

So yea I would like the "cushion" I guess you could say to have the comfort feeling of having a camera with 2 SD cards.

From 2010-2012, and then 2015-present I shot weddings using single-slot cameras. Over those half million or so images, I still haven't had an issue that has prevented me from walking away with all images (knock on wood). Twice I've had a photo or two get corrupted, all of which were recoverable after. I'm also waiting to upgrade to the A9, as dual cards will definitely give me better piece of mind, but trust me, you'll survive...

Here in SoCal, there are SO many film photographers. These photographers store images on super fragile material, with no backups, and then often ship them half-way across the country(!!!!), which totally blows my mind. I think about that and then think, "yeah, I'm doing just fine".

As for a loan - I've never taken one out for my business (although there have been a few times I've put gear on credit cards and haven't been able to pay right away, so... Similar). Regardless, I wouldn't recommend it. Like others have said, if it's absolutely must-have, I would rent one on a per-wedding basis.

The only thing I would really think about taking a loan out for would be for business expansion; advertising and the like.

That said, I'm not a terribly great businessman, so others may have more wisdom here.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:15 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Loan for camera gear...?

Generally speaking, upgrades don't improve our photography. I looked at your portfolio, and didn't see anything that would've benefited from a higher-end camera. Going into debt to acquire new gear is usually a poor business decision. An exception might be lighting equipment if it expands your opportunities. Keep in mind that things can go downhill in a hurry. This includes local and/or global economic conditions, health, children, school, accidents, or even an unjustified review that tanks your business. Best bet IMO is to save money until you have the cash in hand. Most financial planners would tell us to use credit cards only when we're 100% sure that the entire balance can (and will) be paid on or before the due date.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:54 AM
MAC
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Loan for camera gear...?

JMcDonald84 wrote:
I have a question for you guys. I'm not to far into the wedding photography game. I'm using what I have and it's working... but I want better like most of us. My question is....

Did you take out a loan of some sort to start your wedding photography business...? And if so, how long before you broke even...?

don't go in debt

referrals vs advertising will open up more gigs

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Loan for camera gear...?

Do you have a vision?

Does your offering exceed all others?

Do you KNOW you will succeed?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Loan for camera gear...?

JMcDonald84 wrote:
I work full time building aircraft for the military so I have steady income, but eventually. I would like to do this full time along with my wife's wedding company.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation as I am. I work for the Army during the day, but do photography on the side.

When I was first getting back into photography, my wife and I had a discussion, and talked about what the income expectations from the business would be. For now, all profits from photography go towards new gear. From time to time, I do take an "interest-free" loan from our general checking account for a month or two, if I find a really good deal on the next piece of equipment.

Personally, I don't like the idea of loans. If I *have* to do a photo shoot, I'm just worried that I won't approach it with the same passion or enthusiasm, and that's something I don't want to do. My day job pays the bills, photography allows me to buy toys. I'm fortunate enough that I can say no to an inquiry, and not worry about whether we'll make the mortgage.

In the past year that I've been rediscovering photography, I've bought the following, all paid for with jobs I've done:
- Tamron 11-20mm f/2.8
- DJI Phantom 3 Professional
- Nikon D750
- Nikon 70-200 VRii f/2.8
- Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
- Nikon TC-20E III
- Custom Desktop (i7-7700k, GTX1070, 32GB, 500 m.2 SSD)
- Random assortment of old cameras and lenses for my "collection"

My recommendation? Learn HDR (if you don't already) and start shooting homes. Realtors always need a decent photographer, and you can make an easy $150-200 (rough price-points for VA) for about 1.5 hours of shooting, and 2 hours of post. I started with the UWA, and right now, I'm averaging 6-8 homes a month. Nothing fancy, but it allows my collection to grow.

Side-note: I'm not sure how it is with your friends, but any time I buy a new piece of equipment, everyone rolls their eyes and asks how much it cost. Inevitably, someone makes a comment about how that money should be spent on food or a vacation or something, and the ability for my wife to look them in the eye and say "no, actually all that money came from photography" is extremely satisfying. (It also helps that we had the conversation to begin with, and she's supportive of my endeavors.)

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password