Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs exp...

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

Hello all! Back in April 2017 Canon Canada announced it was eliminating its flat rate equipment repair structure that had been in place for some time (~10 years?) and returning to estimates on a case by case basis for all repairs. There was a brief discussion about this change here on the Canon forum.

Given that it's been about six months since the announcement, I'd like to pick up the discussion with feedback from those who have actually had equipment serviced by Canon Canada. I would like to see a balanced discussion based on facts, on actual repairs, to hopefully shed some light on whether or not the change has actually been beneficial to Canon Canada's customers. Did you pay more for a repair that in the past was flat rate? Did you pay less for some, as Canon claimed might be the case?

As a guide and baseline to determine whether or not your specific repair was higher or lower than the previous flat rate structure, below are the outgoing flat rate fees published on the Canon Canada CPS site at the time of the announcement:

"These rates include all necessary parts and labour to complete service. Only products exhibiting corrosion or severe impact will be subject to a manual estimate. If necessary, the estimate will be sent to you for your approval. Please note that where manual estimates are required, service turnaround guarantees will not apply. Rates below are subject to the applicable member service discount. (Platinum -30%, Gold -20%) Taxes are extra."

EOS 70D, 7D, 6D: $219
EOS 5D series: $249
EOS 1D X/1D X Mark II: $299

11-24mm f4L: $319
16-35mm f2.8LII: $319
16-35mm f4L IS: $259
17-40mm f4L: $259
24-70mm f2.8L: $259
24-70mm f2.8LII: $319
24-70mm f/4L IS: $219
24-105mm f4L: $259
8-15mm f/4L: $259
100-400mm f4.5-5.6L v1/v2: $319
70-200mm f2.8L and IS v1, f4L and IS: $259
70-200mm f2.8L IS II: $319
28-300mm f3.5-5.6L IS: $319
70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM: $259

14mm f/2.8L: $219
14mm f/2.8L II: $299
24mm f1.4L v1/v2: $299
35mm f1.4L: $219
35mm f1.4L II: $299
50mm f1.2L USM: $219
85mm f1.2L: v1/v2$299
135mm f2.0L: $219
200mm f2.0L: $219
300mm f4L IS: $219
300mm f2.8LIS through 800/5.6L IS: $299
The list didn't include the 200-400

100mm f2.8L IS & 180mm f3.5L: $219

All TS-Es: $299

All TCs: $99

580EXll: $149
430EX II: $99
MR-14EX: $149
MR-24EX: $149
ST-E2: $99
Battery grips (all): $99

Here's the announcement by Canon:

"Canon Canada wishes to advise you of a change in fee structure to our repair rates. Effective April 19, 2017, most products will no longer be repaired under a flat rate system, instead, Canon Canada will assess each product upon receipt and provide an estimate for time and materials.

Why the change?
Flat rates are fair to all customers only if the average repair price does not vary significantly. In order to be fair to all customers, a repair estimate will be provided specifically to address the issue with your particular product. In order to minimize your downtime, Canon Canada has established a pre-approved charge. This means that if the cost to repair your product is below $349 + tax, Canon Canada will proceed with the repair and return your equipment as soon as possible. In the event that the estimate charge is beyond the pre-approved charge of $349 + tax, Canon Canada will require your approval to proceed. If at any time you require a manual estimate, please advise us when sending your product and an estimate will be provided regardless of cost."

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 07:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

I'll start off with an example from a colleague with a 1DXII that locked up with an Err20 or 30 (don't recall which) and was no longer operational. He received an estimate of approx. $700. Unfortunately I don't have the specific details, but he said it was about $200 for parts and the rest for labour.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

Good idea for a thread, Ron. I agree that we should try to figure out if the loss of fixed-rate repairs is as unfavourable for CPS members, as I think it is.

I know that many of my repairs at the old fixed-rate were much less expensive than they would be on a per-item basis. I like to take repair work to my local Camera Repair Centre; twice, they've told me straight-up that I should send it to Canon, because the cost for parts that they worked up exceeded the fixed-rate cost, before accounting for labour.

I just made it through a two-week fly-in trip to Utah without breaking any of the 29 kg of photo gear that I had with me. Too bad for this thread. I'll keep working on it. I will report any Canon Canada repair costs here, as they might come up.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:16 PM
tyue

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

Not a CPS.
My 70-300L stopped focusing all of a sudden. CPS looked at it and asked for $850 to have it fixed.
Anyone in Calgary with a CPS member can contact me so I can save 30% on my repair fee is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:18 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

It's been quite a few years since I needed to have any Canon gear serviced or repaired. I wish I could say the same for the other "pro" gear I've owned...

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:02 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

tyue wrote:
Not a CPS.
My 70-300L stopped focusing all of a sudden. CPS looked at it and asked for $850 to have it fixed.
Anyone in Calgary with a CPS member can contact me so I can save 30% on my repair fee is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Ouch.

That's about what I paid in the early 2000s to replace the USM and IS in my 70-200/2.8 IS...

BTW, the above flat rate fees were applicable to everyone, if I understood correctly. CPS members received an additional discount. So if you're not a CPS member and have had something recently estimated or serviced, please post about it.

CPS does ask that members 'register' their gear. Not sure this is more relevant to determining CPS membership level eligibility or if they also check it for servicing.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:08 PM
tyue

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

The quote said this:
"Zoom FPC, and Group 6th Barrel Assembly, as well as some other minor parts".
The lens still sits in a corner of my room, if anyone is really to help, let me know. 30% off $800 makes sense to have it repaired. $800 is a bit iffy.

The lens was working nicely in the morning, put it in my camera bag, took it out to use in the afternoon and it stopped working.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chimping
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

I recently had my 85 mm f/1.2L II repaired for dust behind the rear element and focussing issues. The repair came to $234.47 with my Platnium discount.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

Chimping wrote:
I recently had my 85 mm f/1.2L II repaired for dust behind the rear element and focussing issues. The repair came to $234.47 with my Platnium discount.

Thanks for that. Was that with Alberta HST? It's close to the flat rate price, minus discount, plus tax.

BTW, somewhere on the Lensrentals blog there's a DIY for cleaning the dust from the inside rear element as it's a common problem with that design. Mine has a ton of dust. I haven't yet bothered to crack it open myself and try.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Chimping
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks for that. Was that with Alberta HST? It's close to the flat rate price, minus discount, plus tax.

BTW, somewhere on the Lensrentals blog there's a DIY for cleaning the dust from the inside rear element as it's a common problem with that design. Mine has a ton of dust. I haven't yet bothered to crack it open myself and try.

We only have GST in Alberta, thank God. I think that price included GST.

I saw the post on Lens Rentals, but I live in fear of making things worse and I needed my lens adjusted anyways!

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:58 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

rscheffler wrote:
CPS does ask that members 'register' their gear. Not sure this is more relevant to determining CPS membership level eligibility or if they also check it for servicing.

Ron, my understanding is that only the specific items registered (by serial number) on your gear list are eligible for CPS service.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:37 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

molson wrote:
Ron, my understanding is that only the specific items registered (by serial number) on your gear list are eligible for CPS service.

Not from Canada but I have brought newly acquired items to CPS for CMS, and ask them to please add it to my profile without any problem

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:46 PM
tyue

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

After learning about CPS, maybe it is a good idea to join since I have at least one lens to fix. Any reason not to do this?

Thx.

Oct 06, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please share your Canon Canada equipment repair costs experiences

tyue wrote:
After learning about CPS, maybe it is a good idea to join since I have at least one lens to fix. Any reason not to do this?

No downsides. I find it's well worth the money, considering you also receive discounts on L lenses and 1 series bodies.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password