Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Summary so far online seems to be:

1 stop better noise but more objectionable (this was one the the nicest things about the D800/810)
DR isn't much improved (boo)
Resolution increase is (obviously) fairly modest but enough to be noticeable with the best lenses.

Anyone who upgraded care to comment yet?

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

My personal opinion is that for most practical purposes, there's no difference in noise and DR performance between the D810 and D850. Maybe there is a one-stop performance at higher ISO's but if there is you'll have to look hard to find it. In terms of IQ, the biggest difference is the extra pixels the D850 brings to the table, but even then a 13% increase (when measured linearly) isn't really that significant in the big scheme of things. Perhaps we should just be happy that the D850 isn't any WORSE than the D810, which remains an excellent camera.

I'll go so far as to suggest to anyone looking to upgrade from the D810 to the D850 that already has sports/action/wildlife covered with a D5/D500 etc....keep your D810 and save your money.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

I think IQ is pretty close. I'd hesitate to say there's a one stop ISO improvement - seems like more like 1/2 stop to me (seat of the pants estimate). DR is about the same, but that's OK - the D810 had very respectable DR. If you need max DR at low ISO, the D750 is still the way to go and the D5 still rules for high ISO DR.

I do like the resolution increase - although I didn't really use my D810 for wildlife like I do with the D850 (mostly D5/D500). Love the D850 AF system with that high res sensor

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:45 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Steve Perry wrote:
Love the D850 AF system ...

This is what has me wanting it(and FPS to a lesser degree), otherwise I'm happy with a D800.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:33 PM
CATProductions

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Suppose we may need to wait for 70 mp + to see more significant gains in low ISO detail. I'd love a D5X with 70 mp; base ISO of 32 or 50, D5 AF, etc.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:44 PM
vitalishe
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

I cannot quite comment on the DR as I did not push RAW files enough in LR. Still waiting for the native support. As to the high ISO noise there is definitely an improvement. The most noticeable improvement is in color tones that stay close to true ones longer. D800 tended to all sorts of color variations and I think D810 had similar behavior. The grain at high ISO is there but it is fairly well controlled.

Yet, I would argue that most improvements of D850 over D810/D800 are not in image quality, which was already superb. Instead it is in all the features that allow you to get the image:
- AF is superb. Works quickly and reliably in very dim light.
- Frame rate that even without the battery grip may be sufficient for occasional sports shooting.

The major improvement has to be the combination of the tilt screen together with the silent shooting.
- Yes, it is silent. So you can use during performances and ceremonies.
- But in addition to it, there is also no delay! So you can use the camera from any angle you like and capture the moment with the framing you like and no disturbance. Remember those medium format cameras you could shoot from the waist level? You can do the same here now.
- Also, you can effectively use live view shooting with manual focus lenses. You have all the same advantages as the mirrorless cameras (except for the ability of mounting all lenses). There is focus peaking which is relatively reliable. But, better yet, at a press of a button you can zoom in to either of three levels, 50%, 100%, 200% for precise focus with fast primes. Another press and you are back to full view for framing.
- Of course there is 4K video from the whole sensor if one cares about it.

These are the major improvements that I have noticed already. There are many smaller ones.
For instance bracketing can now be done in steps of 2 and 3 of a stop instead of being limited by 1 stop, which was silly for cameras with dynamic range like D800.

D850 is a camera that can be used for anything. You can do a little better with D5 and D500 in their special areas, but D850 will not be too far behind. Whereas for everything else D850 will beat them hands down.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

You use the dpreview widgets. Here are a few links I generated for you:

D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, Base ISO, Native Resoution
D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, ISO 12,800, Low-Light, Normalized to Print Res
D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, DR +6EV Push, Normalized to Print Res

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Spectro
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

vitalishe wrote:
I cannot quite comment on the DR as I did not push RAW files enough in LR. Still waiting for the native support. As to the high ISO noise there is definitely an improvement. The most noticeable improvement is in color tones that stay close to true ones longer. D800 tended to all sorts of color variations and I think D810 had similar behavior. The grain at high ISO is there but it is fairly well controlled.

Yet, I would argue that most improvements of D850 over D810/D800 are not in image quality, which was already superb. Instead it is
...Show more

In general I agree with this. I admit to very light use in the few days Iíve had it due to time constraints but Iíve played with set up and a couple of brief field tests. To me the D850 is more of an upgrade to the D810 than the D810 was to the D800. Iím referring to the flexibility it provides (mostly mentioned above) in a single body with addition of the option to move from FX to DX with a single button and wheel adjustment. To some, including me thatís a big deal.
It allowed me to move from a 3 camera system to two without losing any functionality or quality. I like that. Others may not care about it.

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Maybe DR at ISOs above base will be better, the D810/800 were clearly designed to excel at base ISO.

It seem nikon has taken the 800 series and made it more of a refined all-rounder with the upgrades rather than pushing iq into new realms and have released it at an attractive price. Probably smart, sales would have been less for a pricier 70MP beast with 3-5fps.

I won't be upgrading as the af is the sole thing that tempts me.

snapsy wrote:
You use the dpreview widgets. Here are a few links I generated for you:

D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, Base ISO, Native Resoution
D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, ISO 12,800, Low-Light, Normalized to Print Res
D850 vs D810 vs D5 vs D500, DR +6EV Push, Normalized to Print Res

I didn't know this was out yet, thanks.

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:34 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Overall, IQ is not a major improvement over D810, I think. However, noise grain looks more pleasing (very subjective here) and luminance noise is lower. With D810, I find iso 3200 just about the limit and 6400 acceptable once in awhile but I can still get erasonable result with D850 at iso 9000-12800 depending on the subject.
At lower iso, I don't think I see much of a different. However, the main upgrade for me is in the body with better AF, FPS, new WB, layout etc. Let just say that beside weight, D850 is either the same or improvement over d810 in just about everything else and it is a much more capable camera for action/sport than D810 (and I assume D750) which is nice since I don't do action/sport/wild life enough to justify D5 but sometimes I do need full frame rather than aps-c for these purpose so it pair with d500 well and a good all around camera for just about any use.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:03 PM
SeattleDucks

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

Mark_L wrote:
Anyone who upgraded care to comment yet?

I owned the D810 until a few months ago and before that the D800. I've been testing the D850 for a couple weeks. Highlight points for me:

- Ergonomics are better than the D810, for my hands - the grip is deeper but not as fat. Subtle change on paper but a big difference in feel, *for me*.

- The D850 is more speedy and responsive at everything it does.

- Thankfully Nikon maintained the excellent DR of the D810 at ISO 64, and at higher ISO's they improved it over the D810 - see the comparison chart of testing done by Bill Claff: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850

- The backlit buttons and the tilting LCD screen that I loved on my D500 are very welcome improvements for me on the D850.

- The resolution of the D810 was not quite enough for it to serve as I had hoped as backup to my Pentax 645Z. But the D850 resolution increase, while not dramatic, is a very important and noticeable improvement for my work - comparison tests show the D850 at ISO 64 now truly equals what I have been getting from the 645Z in capture of extremely fine details and nuanced textures, and this matters for the large prints I do.

Bottom line, for me: the D850 is a better tool for what I want out of a DSLR. It may not be for others of course.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:08 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any verdict yet on D850 iq over D810/800?

vitalishe wrote:

Yet, I would argue that most improvements of D850 over D810/D800 are not in image quality, which was already superb. Instead it is
...Show more

Totally agree here. I would also add there were many wedding photographers that were having issues with the D810 WB for indoor scenes and often had to resort to using white card to set the WB. The colors were always too warm and yes you can adjust the RAW files but it is a pain. The colors and depth with the D850 I find superb.

If you into wildlife/sports/BIF and you already have the D5/D500 these are great systems without having to resort to the D850.

But the question was regarding the D810, the D850 is a superb upgrade for many the reasons already suggested. I am no longer in sports/horse photography but now portrait/event/landscape/seascapes/travel so my perspective will differ.

My backup for the D850 is the D750 and for light to go travel is the Fuji XT2 system. I was about to move to the Fuji GFX 50 as I love the system but the D850 has everything I need in IQ, rendering, color depth and feel, AF speed and accuracy with many great lenses that are available now let alone the price difference. The other aspect not often discussed is the Nikon lighting system is just superb. It gets out of your way and just works and even more so with the D850 compared with the D810/D750.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password