New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Who owns the pictures?

Lightsearcher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who owns the pictures?

I am a full time Operations employee and I am leaving the company I work for.

Because I take "nice" pictures I was very often asked to take pictures for the company events (fashion week, employee conventions, etc) on company time.

I am planing to use those pictures in my website but I would like to know who owns the rights of those photographs to avoid any dispute. I don't think they will object it but I just want to know the legal side of this situation.

Any advice or info will be very appreciate it.

Thank you.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:58 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who owns the pictures?

Probably not the answer you were looking for but, if it really matters to you, ask a lawyer.

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:18 PM
VictorJB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who owns the pictures?

I would definitely ask a lawyer, but I’m going to lean towards the company owning the photographs since you were on company time when you were tasked with taking the pictures.

Oct 04, 2017 at 06:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who owns the pictures?

Regardless of who owns the copyright on the photos, you shouldn't publish them without signed release forms from any people who would be recognizable in the photos.

Oct 08, 2017 at 10:45 AM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who owns the pictures?

Something else I just thought about. Your company’s employee agreement may already cover this. I know my company’s employee agreement does. Costco employees agree to a model release and that their photographs may be used with or without notification if they’re on company time.

Oct 09, 2017 at 02:41 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who owns the pictures?

VictorJB wrote:
Something else I just thought about. Your company’s employee agreement may already cover this. I know my company’s employee agreement does. Costco employees agree to a model release and that their photographs may be used with or without notification if they’re on company time.

Correct - only if the photo is used by the company,,, not by other party

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who owns the pictures?

I'd been approached before by companies I've worked for about taking "pictures." "Do it for the annual report." "Can you bring your camera to the employee party." "We need a few shots for the web site."

I've always declined.

For one thing, I never liked mixing my fun avocation with work.

For another, even in the rare times when they want to pay you, it's at a rate ridiculously lower than market. Even if I have $50,000 worth of gear, that's free for them.

And then, there's potential disputes like above.

Keep your work life and personal life separate.

Oct 09, 2017 at 08:33 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who owns the pictures?

I've done some product and headshots for my company before. They are paying me for my time anyway and it was a good excuse to work on my photography at work. I always assumed the shots were theirs.

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who owns the pictures?

Thank you everyone for the feedback and comments.

I am leaving the company in good terms and talking with the HR area they are fine I can use the pictures in my website.

I think is a fair agreement, they saved so much money with my photo contributions and now I can take advantage of the images.

Everyone won here...

Oct 17, 2017 at 01:18 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who owns the pictures?

I hope you got it in writing

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM
teddoman
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who owns the pictures?

anthonysemone wrote:
I hope you got it in writing

You could send an email to HR stating your understanding of the agreement. If they don't disagree, then that gives you a leg to stand on.

I'm actually not so such about the underlying copyright issue though. Paying you for your time doesn't necessarily mean it's a work-for-hire project. Most people pay photographers for their time and their photos but that doesn't convert it into a work-for-hire project, the copyright stays with the photographer. Perhaps even more so in this case because you haven't been paid a fee for the photography and the photography falls outside of your normal work duties.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password