Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · why camera bags so expensive?

mbphoto_2.8
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · why camera bags so expensive?

Abag lasts 10-20 years.. why not spend a little more to get good quality?
Also, loads of people sell their bags barely used wgen they switch systems once more, or add big lenses, or realise that they don't carry 10kg worth of gear anyways..

Some friends of mine pay 200-500 bucks for a bag and have a dozen or more to choose from at home. We're talking simple friggin' handbags, with no padding, special velcros, inner compartments, etc.

Oct 14, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · why camera bags so expensive?

Bags are often big profit makers, especially when they aren't from big names. When I worked at a camera store, we had no-name brands that would sell for $75 to $100, but cost the store less than $10 each.

Oct 14, 2017 at 07:44 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · why camera bags so expensive?

Ape Case Pro has a full line. I have many, many of their bags which have yellow interiors. Easy to find stuff. They also have clever inserts that maximize storage. Amazon has them for good prices. Used bags are rare and not so cheap.

Oct 16, 2017 at 08:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · why camera bags so expensive?

Why yellow? Yellow tends to attract some insects outdoors.

EBH

Oct 17, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · why camera bags so expensive?

Didn't Kata start the whole yellow interior thing that people now praise other companies for?

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · why camera bags so expensive?

Yes, I think it was the Van Gogh edition.

EBH

Oct 18, 2017 at 08:36 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · why camera bags so expensive?

I've used bags from various manufacturers (Crumpler, LowePro, OP/Tech, etc ... ) for 40 years. Now, I go to the ThinkTank site and find what I need. Everything is well thought out and I know if I have a problem, I can call them and they'll take care of it. I don't mind paying extra for that. Worrying about my bag/roller/holster/sleeve is not something I need on my mind. In this regard, my gear is expensive, my bags are not.

Oct 19, 2017 at 02:31 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · why camera bags so expensive?

I lost the shoulder strap to my ancient bag. The Ape Case large for 74 bucks is not bad. It will arrive tomorrow, hopefully.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:00 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · why camera bags so expensive?

la puffin wrote:
I've used bags from various manufacturers (Crumpler, LowePro, OP/Tech, etc ... ) for 40 years. Now, I go to the ThinkTank site and find what I need. Everything is well thought out and I know if I have a problem, I can call them and they'll take care of it. I don't mind paying extra for that. Worrying about my bag/roller/holster/sleeve is not something I need on my mind. In this regard, my gear is expensive, my bags are not.

When I lost the cover from a discontinued bag TT sent me one without cost. I didn't even ask for it.

EBH

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · why camera bags so expensive?

Actually camera bags are quite cheap compared to some of my wife’s bags

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:01 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · why camera bags so expensive?

With very few exceptions camera bags STINK at carrying any meaningful weight.

TT stuff exudes quality when you see it, but load it, put it on your back, and 30 minutes later the entire weight of everything is on your shoulders. OK if you are around town, completely unacceptable if you are a few miles from the parking lot and have another 3000 ft to go i the vertical.

Tamrack is more or less useless for the above purpose. Lowepro is, with some exceptions, also useless. Don't know why they insist on either providing a super dinky tripod mount or insisting that you side mount.

If you will be spending time off trail get an Osprey/Gregory/Mamut/Arcteryx with an insert from ebay and call it a day. I personally am fond of packs with back access, unless I am on a multi-day trip where a large pack is needed to accomodate both camera gear as well as camping/trekking necessities.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:28 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · why camera bags so expensive?

tung256 wrote:
Why do other bags, same size or smaller, cost a lot more like the ones from LowePro? Am I paying for the name?

Gee, I don't know if I find LowePro (and others) bags to be all that expensive. Just take a close look at all of the thought (R&D), the variety & quality of materials used, and photography-specific details that are within one of these packs. There's considerable labor involved in putting one together, and you get all that for the price of a memory card, or a dinner out at a nice restaurant.

Another thing to consider: (start at 3:30):

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · why camera bags so expensive?

Bags aren't expensive in terms what they are supposed to hold.

I have many different bags, and its for transporting equipment which cost a lot more then the bags.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:09 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · why camera bags so expensive?

GroovyGeek wrote:

Not really, as not every bag is made for hiking. In fact, that genre is a niche.

There are plenty of other bags then hiking backpacks.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · why camera bags so expensive?

swifty168 wrote:
Actually camera bags are quite cheap compared to some of my wife’s bags

They have increased quite a lot in recent years.
As long as it not a Raindrop Besace...

EBH

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:16 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · why camera bags so expensive?

rw11 wrote:
It is not the sewing cost for child labor in Sri Lanka - it is because it is a CAMERA bag, so the manfs. figure they can charge more than if it was a _regular_ bag.

Curious why you think there is child labor in Sri Lanka. It's illegal in my country and if you know of a instance please point it out so that I can direct the authorities appropriately.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · why camera bags so expensive?

GroovyGeek wrote:

Fotografpaul wrote:
Not really, as not every bag is made for hiking. In fact, that genre is a niche.

Yes and hiking is not always climbing 3,000 feet.

EBH

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:48 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · why camera bags so expensive?

Fotografpaul wrote:

Absolutely, there are plenty of other bags
But I stand by my assertion that most camera bags are terrible at carrying weight for prolonged time without all the weight ending up on your shoulders. Sure, most non-hiking photographers don't need to spend 5-6 hrs with all their gear on their back, so the design criteria are different. That does not make my statement incorrect - they stink at carrying weight ;-)

EB-1 wrote:
Yes and hiking is not always climbing 3,000 feet.

EBH

Absolutely, but that is almost irrelevant when it comes to how a bag handles weight. The distinguishing characteristic of hiking (rather than a short stroll) is that there is meaningful distance covered, e.g., 3+ miles. For most people that means spending 2+ hrs with the full weight of their gear in the pack. Most photo oriented packs lack internal frames and instead rely on a beefy looking waist belt, which in the absence of a frame does very little to prevent the full weight of the pack ending up on your shoulders within an hour.

This is not bad in the absolute sense. The photo oriented packs often offer niceties such as easier compartmentalization and photo-oriented niceties such as "swing around" capabilities. But they still suck at carrying weight :-)

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:03 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · why camera bags so expensive?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Absolutely, there are plenty of other bags
But I stand by my assertion that most camera bags are terrible at carrying weight for prolonged time without all the weight ending up on your shoulders. Sure, most non-hiking photographers don't need to spend 5-6 hrs with all their gear on their back, so the design criteria are different. That does not make my statement incorrect - they stink at carrying weight ;-)

Well, camera backpacks are not most bags.. as already been stated.

No weight ends up on my shoulder if use a roller.. yeah we can go on like this forever..

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · why camera bags so expensive?

Anything that requires a lot of walking gets this out of the trunk. Everything goes in the bag. Weight is now immaterial. Unlike the other models, this fits easily in the trunk of my Hyundai Accent.

Nov 19, 2017 at 01:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.