Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

Early this morning, a buddy and his girl began the trip to her home in the Philippines.

She's very quick with her cell phone camera and the images are already starting to flow back here.

So, I am finally seeing the value of a cell phone camera to take/share images.

The main problem I have with all cell phone cameras is the time-lag between pressing the shutter and when the image is actually taken.

We all know the world is a sucker for high megapixel cell phone cameras, with seemingly no regard for speed.

I want a FAST cell phone camera that has a sharp lens.

Are there any out there? How about just one?

Thank you.

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 10:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:17 AM
cvrle59
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

bs kite wrote:

Early this morning, a buddy and his girl headed to her home in Philippines.

She is very quick with her cell phone camera and the images are already starting to flow back here.

So, I am finally seeing the value of a cell phone camera to take/share images.

The main problem I have with all cell phone cameras is the time-lag between pressing the shutter and when the image is actually taken.

We all know the world is a sucker for high megapixel cell phone cameras with seemingly no regard for speed.

I want a FAST cell phone
...Show more

Not sure, if this should be in Nikon's forum, but I decided to answer it. I have Lumia 950, which gives me excellent output for a phone, but If I would buy one right now, I would just go blindly for Huawei P10. Friend of mine has one, and I saw his images. Don't mention this to the iPhone users, please, they think that iPhone is the best by default...

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

In my experience, you will always have that lag which is one reason why I just cannot get on with cameraphones - I am moving the camera down before it has finished the photo.
But actual photo quality is becoming excellent as long as you don't need to crop too heavily or rely on a lot of processing.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:50 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

The Samsung Galaxy phones have very fast AF and near zero shutter lag. The iPhone's are horrible in this regard (up to and including the iPhone 7, which is what I presently own).

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:42 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

snapsy wrote:
The Samsung Galaxy phones have very fast AF and near zero shutter lag. The iPhone's are horrible in this regard (up to and including the iPhone 7, which is what I presently own).

mmmm....Interesting that you say this:

I have the Samsung S5 and before you mentioned this, I felt it had too much of a lag for me. Just tried it and it is not as slow as I previously thought. About 1/2 second. Not really bad.

Thank you much for heads up on iPhone lag.

Still looking for the fastest gun out there folks.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:01 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

bs kite wrote:
mmmm....Interesting that you say this:

I have the Samsung S5 and before you mentioned this, I felt it had too much of a lag for me. Just tried it and it is not as slow as I previously thought. About 1/2 second. Not really bad.

Thank you much for heads up on iPhone lag.

Still looking for the fastest gun out there folks.

Have a try of an S7 or S8. You'll find that the AF and lag are immensely improved.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:04 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

I have the iPhone 8+ and it seems quick enough for me, to the point where I'm thinking of selling my Ricoh GR, since the phone seems to work well doing what I used to use the GR. Obviously not equal, but small enough gap to perhaps not warrant carrying the extra camera in my pocket all the time.

As far as iPhones go, I will say the video quality is the best I've used from a phone. 240fps 1080, 60fps at 4K, with effective OIS, amazing tool in that regard. Stills are pretty good for a phone, and the 2 lens certainly opens things up. Portrait mode works far better than you'd expect too. Real advantage of the iPhone for me is simply all the apps, and the fact all the stuff I've bought, such as filmic Pro, will continue to work with a new phone. If I switched to another platform I'd have to rebuy a ton of stuff, if they even offer it. So that keeps me "loyal" to Apple so to speak

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

I can't really make any recommendations here, but hello from Manila, Philippines!

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:26 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

Photozack81 wrote:
I can't really make any recommendations here, but hello from Manila, Philippines!

Hey! Hello from Maine

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:33 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

snapsy wrote:
Have a try of an S7 or S8. You'll find that the AF and lag are immensely improved.

Really? Sounds interesting. I am going to look into this.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:16 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

For those interested ... a site for comparing all cell phones. I have used it before and it is pretty cool. I can see the actual sizes of the phones too, just by placing a credit card to the computer screen and scaling it.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones

This whole thing started the other day when I met a clammer (clam digger) at the estuary. He pulled out his cell phone and began showing me all of his images. Pretty exciting really. Got me thinking about it. Here I am with all this expensive/heavy gear and many images I can take with a fast phone.

He said his is the Droid Turbo 2. Do not think it has the speed I want though

It would be great to have a fast, sharp one that could just zoom from ultra wide to normal.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

cvrle59 wrote:
Not sure, if this should be in Nikon's forum, .....

It shouldn't, but some people don't care which forum they post non-relevant subjects in, and some people get upset when you point that out.

Sort of like people that could not put a library book back in the correct section.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

My last two phones were the Droid Turbo and the Droid Turbo II. I was satisfied with the camera on both and really enjoyed the the Turbo II high megapixel for heavy cropping. The HDR function produced fantastic images for a phone but slowed the capture rate down. It had a super fast fps when not in HDR mode and I liked it for action (spray and pray) such as catching my kids jumping in the pool. My only complaint with both of them is that it turns out neither were water proof .

I just recently had to replace my Turbo II with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. So far I like it but it's still too early to say if I like it better than the Turbo II. It seems fast enough so far.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:24 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

Mar73 wrote:
My last two phones were the Droid Turbo and the Droid Turbo II. I was satisfied with the camera on both and really enjoyed the the Turbo II high megapixel for heavy cropping. The HDR function produced fantastic images for a phone but slowed the capture rate down. It had a super fast fps when not in HDR mode and I liked it for action (spray and pray) such as catching my kids jumping in the pool. My only complaint with both of them is that it turns out neither were water proof .

I just recently had to replace my
...Show more

Sounds interesting.

Now maybe I missed it, but I was asking about the time lag between when the shutter button is pressed and when the shot is taken. Maybe I missed something in your response. If so, please point it out. Thank you.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

bs kite wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Now maybe I missed it, but I was asking about the time lag between when the shutter button is pressed and when the shot is taken. Maybe I missed something in your response. If so, please point it out. Thank you.

Sorry for not really answering your question. All three phones I listed have little to no lag in normal lighting conditions. I just tested my new Note 8 before replying and it is as quick as any dslr in my hotel room with three lamps on.
The one thing I was trying to communicate in my previous post is that there is lag when using HDR on the Turbo II. Unless I was shooting landscape or cityscape I kept the HDR mode off. Hope this helps.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:41 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

One more thing. The Note 8 is waterproof

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

I just tried my LG-V10, instant. as when I touched the trigger it snapped. several times, then I stopped.

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

millsart wrote:
I have the iPhone 8+ and it seems quick enough for me, to the point where I'm thinking of selling my Ricoh GR, since the phone seems to work well doing what I used to use the GR. Obviously not equal, but small enough gap to perhaps not warrant carrying the extra camera in my pocket all the time.

As far as iPhones go, I will say the video quality is the best I've used from a phone. 240fps 1080, 60fps at 4K, with effective OIS, amazing tool in that regard. Stills are pretty good for a phone, and the 2
...Show more

Same here. Have the new 8 and the gap between it and my Coolpix A seems very narrow,

As far as lag, as cel cameras go it seems fast, but I adjust expectations when using them. I am not shooting Usain Bolt with this stuff.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:01 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

And now DXO is rating cell phone cameras.

https://www.dxomark.com/news/

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:21 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cell Phone Camera(s) what is the fastest ?

Mar73 wrote:
Sorry for not really answering your question. All three phones I listed have little to no lag in normal lighting conditions. I just tested my new Note 8 before replying and it is as quick as any dslr in my hotel room with three lamps on.
The one thing I was trying to communicate in my previous post is that there is lag when using HDR on the Turbo II. Unless I was shooting landscape or cityscape I kept the HDR mode off. Hope this helps.

No problem at all

I now understand completely what you were getting at.

Also, taking a quick look at that Note 8.... Wow! Seems it is a Wide (26mm)>Normal zoom too.

See the DXO post below above. Apparently these cell phone cameras are getting exciting. I want to be able to quickly grab wide to normal shots.

I see Charles Loy's is really quick too. I must check out some of these new cell phone cameras.

Edited on Oct 05, 2017 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.