Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged.....

JMcDonald84

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

A little backdrop of myself.... I am 33 yr old... been on the forum a few months. Veteran of the Air Force... avid photographer growing up with a photographer as my dad. My wife owns a Wedding Company down here in Destin FL.... she was bugging for a few years to start wedding photography. So I bit the bullet and went and spent some money on an a7ii with the stock 28-70 3.5-5.6... bought a ZEISS 55 1.8 as well.

She booked me a couple small weddings to start out with, I was super nervous lol... I shot the first one in complete AUTO and my 2nd one I went manual for quite a bit and I liked that better.

I know I still have much to learn and I'm going to get some more equipment as I can afford it. I'm open for any type of feedback!! Thanks!

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:43 PM
JMcDonald84

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:46 PM
JMcDonald84

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:48 PM
JMcDonald84

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

I apologize for the huge photos..... I don't know how to resize them for the forum....?

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:49 PM
shackleton12

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

I don't know whether it's just how my smart phone views the pictures, maybe the originals look different but your framing/cropping looks a little awkward in some of these, to my eyes, at least.
A lot of the time the subjects look oddly placed, cutting them off at the ankle, slicing the top of their heads, etc. They somehow don't seem to 'fit' the composition. Not in all, just some.
The locations look superb and, judging by the couples faces, you've done a good job of capturing their feelings.
For your first two weddings, I'd say, good job!

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:10 AM
loosetrucks
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Congrats on photographing your first two weddings!

Since the photos aren't numbered, it's a little hard to offer feedback on a per-photo basis. So instead, I'll offer some general advice on what has helped me on my journey from my very first wedding to today:

(1) Go full manual as soon as you can. Going full manual and using spot metering sped up my learning immensely.

(2) Along with number 1, learn to see light. The direction, amount, quality, color, and even lack of light all help to create a photo. Yes we may think adding a tint or fade will make our photos look similar to our favorite photographers, but chances are, their style of photography goes past their post-processing and has more to do about how they use light.

(3) Aim for a consistent post-processing look for all your photos. Your first photo and last photo have a faded/tinted look that's different than the entire set. While I'm sure this was intentional, it's far better to have your favorite shots stand out from the set through content, composition, moment, use of light, etc. The furthest I'd go is a black and white conversion. But inconsistencies between color edits in the same set tend to stick out like a sore thumb. So decide on your editing style and stick to it. In the long run having a larger body of work that looks and feels consistent will definitely pay off as you start adding weddings under your belt.

Try numbering the photos in your post. That way, we can reference specific photos when offering feedback/critique.

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 04:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:32 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Congrats on your first two weddings! One thing that is important is that the couples generally look relaxed and that is important. I think that the couples will be happy.

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JMcDonald84

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

shackleton12 wrote:
I don't know whether it's just how my smart phone views the pictures, maybe the originals look different but your framing/cropping looks a little awkward in some of these, to my eyes, at least.
A lot of the time the subjects look oddly placed, cutting them off at the ankle, slicing the top of their heads, etc. They somehow don't seem to 'fit' the composition. Not in all, just some.
The locations look superb and, judging by the couples faces, you've done a good job of capturing their feelings.
For your first two weddings, I'd say, good job!

I agree with the cropping... I shot the first wedding with my 55 1.8, so I couldn't get "wide" at times..

The couple were extremely pleased. I didn't charge much... I definitely know how important this day is for them so I tried to do my very best to capture some great shots... I ended up turning over around 60 or so photos to the first wedding and then almost 100 to the other.

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:24 PM
JMcDonald84

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

loosetrucks wrote:
Congrats on photographing your first two weddings!

Since the photos are numbered, it's a little hard to offer feedback on a per-photo basis. So instead, I'll offer some general advice on what has helped me on my journey from my very first wedding to today:

(1) Go full manual as soon as you can. Going full manual and using spot metering sped up my learning immensely.

(2) Along with number 1, learn to see light. The direction, amount, quality, color, and even lack of light all help to create a photo. Yes we may think adding a tint or fade will make our
...Show more

Will do! Thank you so much for the feedback. I will definitely work on those things you mentioned.

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Question... have you second shot any weddings?

Do you want to shoot weddings? either stills or video?
I ask because as I read it is mentioned your significant other talked you into it.

Please work on that water-mark. ouch. not that you have to but use your name or a single word.

phantom is the name of a drone....
The name implies you shoot video. Not that you can not do both.

This comes across as confusing. For example....Some shooters around here create separate sites for there commercial stuff vs the wedding side.

I say this for you to think who your clients are? Mainly girls/ladies/moms.... hint. Yes, there are men that get involved ... but generally it is the female side.

as for the photos ... it is a start. I have seen worse.
I agree with the lack of consistence and composition as mentioned.

Many of the old timers here like to push and be creative.
An expression you can use for a reality check ... if this shot looks like it came from my iphone/samsung ... i did not do my job.
Means you need to be working the craft as much as the business side.

Keep posting and asking for CC.

-Mark

Oct 05, 2017 at 12:50 AM
JMcDonald84

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

Ziffl3 wrote:
Question... have you second shot any weddings?

Do you want to shoot weddings? either stills or video?
I ask because as I read it is mentioned your significant other talked you into it.

Please work on that water-mark. ouch. not that you have to but use your name or a single word.

phantom is the name of a drone....
The name implies you shoot video. Not that you can not do both.

This comes across as confusing. For example....Some shooters around here create separate sites for there commercial stuff vs the wedding side.

I say this for you to think who your clients are? Mainly
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback Mark, I appreciate you taking the time to write something. To answer your questions.....

I have not done any second shootings. I had a couple opportunities but a lot of the photographers down here in the Destin area work alone or they already have someone in mind.

The intent of me starting this business was originally for Aerial Drone work. So I purchased a pretty nice one and started there. That's where the name " Phantom Motion Films " came from. But then my infatuation for Photography really took over and that's when I purchased the camera gear. My wife REALLY REALLY wanted/still wants for me to do Videography....While I like shooting videos... taking pictures is where my heart is... so she understands and supports. But I will still cover either or if someone wants video or photo.

As for the Watermark... yea I know its a bit lacking.... I will work on that!

I never thought about have 2 websites for different things... but the more I think about ti after you say something... I think I may want to do that. I was actually thinking about changing my name now while it's still early to MAC Photography or JMAC Photography, something of those sorts.... and then maybe keep the Phantom Motion Films for my Drone Services via another website.

Thanks again for taking the time to critique.... I welcome all comments good or bad, anything that will help me better my career and my skills.

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:34 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

A couple thoughts on the 2nd shooting....

Either here on this forum or find a local closed facebook group of area wedding photographers.
Expect to 2nd shoot for free. When you have experience, then you can start getting payed.

Networking is your friend.... you need to be the one reaching out. Give more than you receive. Even if it is just an assistance.

Another way to work with other shooters is by attending workshops and networking afterwords.

-Mark

FYI ... thanks for serving our country. I am an ex-airforce crew chief on KC-10's.

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:24 AM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shot my first 2 weddings recently... ready to be judged...lol

They are a damn sight better than the wedding pictures we got from the 45 minute photographer who shot our renewal ceremony on the beach. Nice job working different scenarios. The couples should be very happy. I'm so embarrassed about ours, I wouldn't show them to anybody. I didn't complain since there was nothing I could do about it anyway.

Oct 10, 2017 at 04:36 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password