Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

I generally agree with you and Derek about 85GM. And I actually think 85GM is the best Sony prime I'd say.

I do feel the sigma art 85 has very very similar rendering to Sony 85. Not a bad thing. TBH, I like both 85 and 135 ART very much with 135 a little stronger on everything: better focus, less CA but they are share the same house rendering: Not much character but very smooth.
I do believe Nikon 105 is the best lens introduced over past few years. It has even more smooth boekh than 135 art and also put more prettier Bokeh which is hard to put into word IMO. However given sigma's build and super fast and silent AF, it is hard for me to go 105 for now.
I might add 58g later for f1.6-2.2 shooting. That lens rendering very good at those aperture.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I might be in a minority, but beyond the technical IQ, I didn't think the rendering held up to other terrific 85s.

Same thought same time as Derek

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:18 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

I had them both R version and somehow never like 90 cron the same as 80lux.

As Derek said, 90cron pre-ASPH never as sharp as 80lux which is very nice after f4 cross frame. It might have even smoother bokeh than 80lux however to me it always miss something compare to 80, maybe smoother but also less SA combined give a bland feel to image, again this might be very personal.

I sold my 80lux after go to 36M sensors, however look back the images took with it I immediately realize that lens is special. I bought it back. I'd say it is the best Leica glass that give a signature look to the images. It may fail for resolution, or color fringing or even bokeh in individual test, however once it hit, it really hit something.
Now, it is one of few never sell lens on my list.

robgo2 wrote:
I have the Leica-M Summicron 90 f/2 Pre-ASPH (v.III) that I think is really sweet for portraits. I wonder how it compares to the Summilux-R 80 f/1.4.

Rob

Maybe adding a few images worth thousands words. all from 80lux.

Oct 09, 2017 at 05:32 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue wrote:

As Derek said, 90cron pre-ASPH never as sharp as 80lux which is very nice after f4 cross frame. It might have even smoother bokeh than 80lux however to me it always miss something compare to 80, maybe smoother but also less SA combined give a bland feel to image, again this might be very personal.

I sold my 80lux after go to 36M sensors, however look back the images took with it I immediately realize that lens is special. I bought it back. I'd
...Show more

Many thanks for the wonderful images taken with the Summilux-R 80/1.4.
Ben Lieberman of http://www.nysity.com has taken many portraits with that his favorite lens.
On LUF he goes by the alias roguewave.

Enjoy, K-H.

Oct 09, 2017 at 09:17 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Rumors have Leica releasing a 75 1.25 M Lens next year.

Oct 09, 2017 at 01:11 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

sebboh wrote:
it's a similar draw, not as sharp at edges and corners as the lux. it's still pretty awesome for portraits though. the cron has a lot less SA a f/2 than the lux at f/1.4, but they might be similar at f/2. i never compared them directly. the cron has a much more severe midzone dip

80 lux wide open:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/540/31387741482_1d38f67cce_o.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5801/31279252312_4d1f15aee8_o.jpg
80 lux at f/2:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5583/31406264495_b068f2368c_o.jpg
90 cron wide open:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/562/18378240291_fb1610bb62_o.jpg
90 cron at f/4:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5780/20981949488_ed274f893f_o.jpg

Thanks very much. I already have the Summarit-M 75 f/2.5 as a general purpose short telephoto lens, and it is quite excellent overall and not bad for portraits. I do not doubt that the Summilux-R 80 is a better lens, but it is also much larger/heavier and more expensive. For now, I think that I'll stick with the Summicron-M 90 Pre ASPH as my special portrait lens.

BTW, I love the photo of the guy playing the trumpet.

Rob

Oct 09, 2017 at 03:53 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue wrote:

I sold my 80lux after go to 36M sensors, however look back the images took with it I immediately realize that lens is special. I bought it back. I'd
...Show more

Those are some great shots with the Summilux-R 80, and they have triggered an exacerbation of GAS. Must take a cold shower and resist!!!

Rob

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:01 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

robgo2 wrote:
Those are some great shots with the Summilux-R 80, and they have triggered an exacerbation of GAS. Must take a cold shower and resist!!!

Rob

Your portraits with the 80lux are always phenomenal Michael.

And I agree, owned a Sigma 85 art briefly and quickly let it go. Loved the AF speed though.

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

robgo2 wrote:

Rob

i love the lens more than any other 75-135mm lens but i don't own it either. it's too big for my taste and the focus throw is too long for me to easily track kids. i should probably see if the 75 lux fixes those issues for me, but that's even more difficult to justify financially...

i tried the 75/2.5 summarit too and it's a great lens. a bit too sterile for my taste wide open, but most people don't share my love of the mandler glow.

Oct 09, 2017 at 04:44 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Really loved the 21/3.5 OM. The OM lenses are so ergonomic, especially on solid OM metal bodies.

The lenses for the Leica IIIF deserve mention. The 35 Summaron is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used, very solidly built and ergonomic system.

The 180 Tamron is another favorite, one of my most used.

Oct 09, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Nikon 200mm F2VRII is my best lens and gets my vote. If weight and lens balance matters than I take that back! 😬

Oct 09, 2017 at 07:08 PM
sfogg

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Don't know about the best but the one that always amazes me when I shoot with it is the Nikon 500mm f4p.

Does the obvious things like this:

and

but can also do this...

Shawn

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:55 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Hubble Space Telescope.

I would put the Nikon 105mm f/1.4 before some of the Leica’s mentioned.

Edited on Oct 10, 2017 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:42 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

davewolfs wrote:
Hubble Space Telescope.

but the second version, not the first

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:44 AM
davewolfs
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Thank you for the correction.

Hubble Space Telescope Mark II (updated mirror).

JohnJ wrote:
but the second version, not the first

Oct 10, 2017 at 03:47 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password