Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Steve, yeh 50AA would be a perfect candidate it is just so lovely because of its size.

Oct 05, 2017 at 04:31 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue wrote:
Steve, yeh 50AA would be a perfect candidate it is just so lovely because of its size.

i just can't get excited about this lens. it sounds fantastic on paper, but all the images i see fail to inspire me.

my picks are the 35/2 sonnar on the rx1 and rokkor 58/1.2. optically i don't need anything else beyond these two (i could stand for better ergonomics on the former and smaller size on the latter).

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:10 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

sebboh wrote:
i just can't get excited about this lens. it sounds fantastic on paper, but all the images i see fail to inspire me.

my picks are the 35/2 sonnar on the rx1 and rokkor 58/1.2. optically i don't need anything else beyond these two (i could stand for better ergonomics on the former and smaller size on the latter).

Quite a few people like that lens though. TBH, I didn't pay a lot attention on this lens given its high price and I am quite happy with 50lux but lovely size and APO correction combined seems to be considered as a modern statement lens from Leica. I handle it multiple time though, it is definitely a very lovely lens on hand.

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:33 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

zhangyue wrote:
Quite a few people like that lens though. TBH, I didn't pay a lot attention on this lens given its high price and I am quite happy with 50lux but lovely size and APO correction combined seems to be considered as a modern statement lens from Leica. I handle it multiple time though, it is definitely a very lovely lens on hand.

i'm happy leica made it, i just see a lot more magic in the lux asph.

Oct 05, 2017 at 07:25 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Once upon a time, this is what happened to refill the wine rack
Leica R 280/4 APO - 180/2.8 APO

Oct 05, 2017 at 08:06 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Full Frame 35mm
Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4

Medium Format
Mamiya Macro MF 120mm F4

Oct 05, 2017 at 08:14 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

trogdon wrote:
I think from a technical perspective I think the Sony 135mm f1.8 is the best. I don't get to use it as much as I'd like due to the nature of the lens, but when it delivers, it's pretty spectacular

I agree. Donít have it anymore (donít have Sony anymore), but this lens is special.

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:36 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Can we return to this in 6 months? I want to check the Canon TS-E 135 F4 L Macro.

Oct 05, 2017 at 11:01 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

My APO's::
Otus 28/1,4
Otus 55/1.4
R 100/2.8 APO
R 180/2.8 APO
R 280/4 APO
My Bokeh's:
Contax N 85/1.4
ZA 135/1.8
Rokkor 58/1.2
Others:
RX1 35/2
C/Y 35/1.4
C/Y 100/2
ZF 21/2.8

Oct 05, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

I can't say these are all "the best lens ever made," but the two TS-E lenses have to be incompetition with best designs ever made for 35mm format.

Here are my favorites of my collection:

Canon EF 24/3.5L TSE II
Canon EF 17/4L TSE
Canon EF 50/1.2L
Canon EF 16-35/4L IS

Sony FE 12-24/4 G
Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8
Zeiss Loxia 35/2
Zeiss Loxia 50/2

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

sebboh wrote:
i'm happy leica made it, i just see a lot more magic in the lux asph.

I think if you used it for a bit you would see what a stunning lens it is. If I am ever nearby in Oregon, I will let you borrow mine for awhile and I think you would feel differently about the lens.

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:57 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Iíve tried so many lenses at this point that I donít know if I could pick a favorite. Thatís kind of been my whole problem in that I have had considerable difficulty in finding MY lens.

One that I am starting to regret selling was my 35mm Summilux-M vII which had a really gorgeous / flawed character.

Iím presently super impressed by the Contax G lenses namely the 21,28 and 45 and Iím looking forward to getting to know the system.

Iím using Zeiss ZM a Lenses again for my Leicas and I will say that the ZM 35mm f/1.4 is quite impressive. If it was a bit smaller I think it could be a contender for top pick.

Here's a couple samples of the same scene with the Contax G 21mm and 45mm on my G2 and Fuji Superia 200 film. I love the incredible detail these lenses can render on film.

Feast and Famine. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Feast and Famine. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Edited on Oct 05, 2017 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2017 at 02:54 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Canon 200 f /1.8

Oct 05, 2017 at 03:08 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Actually really like my 35 Lux FLE.

I have a Canon 55 1.2 aspherical that i really like and I had an 85 1.2 aspherical that was an exceptional piece of glass. I liked it better than he EF85L

I think my favorite modern Canon lens was (had it for 8 years and sold it when I dumped all the Canon gear) was the 200 2L.

When I had my 500 C/Ms I really liked the Hasselblad Zeiss 180cf and the 50 FLE cf. And I had a boss that had a couple of SWCs that are in one word AMAZING and still fetch really good prices on the used film market.

Edited on Oct 05, 2017 at 04:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2017 at 03:13 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Sort of an impossible question to answer, really.

For me, it's probably the Contax G 45mm f/2. Unlike a lot of modern lenses, it seems to manage the combination of near perfection with enough flaws to still be said to have character. It's an interesting combination. The size and weight are important to me as well. Really wish I had an A5 or A6 to pair with it!

The Contax G 28mm f/2.8 (on film and APS-C, haven't tried with PCX or Kolari yet), Contax G 90mm f/2.8, and CV 35mm f/1.7 Ultron VM are also up there for me.

Oct 05, 2017 at 03:19 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think if you used it for a bit you would see what a stunning lens it is. If I am ever nearby in Oregon, I will let you borrow mine for awhile and I think you would feel differently about the lens.

perhaps, i'd love to try it some time. i'm impressed with it's contrast and color, i'm not convinced that contributes well to a more attractive images. if i see similar shot with it and the lux asph i nearly always prefer the lux shot.

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:07 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

sebboh wrote:
perhaps, i'd love to try it some time. i'm impressed with it's contrast and color, i'm not convinced that contributes well to a more attractive images. if i see similar shot with it and the lux asph i nearly always prefer the lux shot.

Do you feel that images from lenses that correct strongly for SA and CA tend to impart less depth?

Rob

Oct 05, 2017 at 06:17 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

robgo2 wrote:
Do you feel that images from lenses that correct strongly for SA and CA tend to impart less depth?

Rob

not necessarily, i wouldn't say that images from the 50 cron APO lack depth, they're just not as pretty imo.

Oct 05, 2017 at 06:51 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

It would be great to see some examples that people feel portray the lens' greatness. Many of these lenses are quite rare/exotic/expensive.

Oct 05, 2017 at 09:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What do think is the best lens ever made?

If I had to pick just one it would be the Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar. The Zeiss 35mm on the RX1 series is a close second.

Oct 05, 2017 at 09:31 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password