Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

Curious if other Photographers always have their camera with them or at least nearby? (In the car while going about daily life) I know some people that never miss a shot because they always have their gear.. I tend to only bring my gear when I am planning to take pictures... My concern for leaving my gear in my Jeep would be how hot it can get parked in the sun. Curious what some of you do?
Is it bad for camera gear to be in a hot vehicle?

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:38 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I take mine when I plan to shoot. Use my iPhone for everything else. Not ideal, but it is what I do.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:56 AM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

Definitely not a great idea to leave a camera in a hot car. I’m not certain you would have major issues with the camera itself but on lenses it could help lubrication move to the wrong places. I actually put my camera bag inside a cooler in my car (with no ice). It will keep everything from getting too hot for a while. Eventually though if left all day even inside the cooler would start to get hot. But it does seem to work well for several hours at a time.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:57 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I wouldn't do it personally, even though often times these devices are tougher than we give them credit for. Not worth the risk. If you absolutely have to, leave it in the trunk, not where there is glass and in a secondary bag or container if possible.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:26 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I've found camera gear stays cooler than I expected it to be when I keep on the floor or in the trunk wrapped in a blanket or sleeping bag.

My concern would be the grip glue and oil as mentioned above.

I'm always surprised that the basic vehicle interior like dashboards etc. aren't just obliterated by the hot summer sun. Especially in the desert. After all, they say a car interior can rise as follows:

At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees.” “When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172

The above was on the internet, therefore it must be as true as everything on this board.

Would I do it though? No.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:33 AM
CMYK Designs
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I never do it, not only for the heat, but for the person who may feel the need to break a window and take it!.....but with that said, I hear the Sony A9 can be used to actually heat the car in the winter...

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:56 AM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

My step-brother once left a laptop on the passenger seat of his car on a hot day in Michigan, and some of the plastic parts melted. It was shot. I now live in South Carolina, and our hot days are at least as hot, and certainly more numerous, than Michigan's. Having witnessed that firsthand, I do my best to avoid risking my cameras in that way unless there is a situation where I absolutely have to leave them in the car, then I take measures to make sure they and the car are as shaded as they can be.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I had a 5D mark III die on me, while shooting from the pit at Wrigley a few summers back. It was 114 on the field though. It needed a new board.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:39 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I recommend having a "beater camera" for your car. For example, I always keep a Canon 5D in my trunk. Btw I've kept it there for years and it still works great.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I don't leave a computer or camera in my car EVER
Just not worth the risk for theft.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:49 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

I avoid cooking batteries in a hot car as much as I can. I've killed SLA batteries for DC packs that way. Not sure how it affects camera batteries but I still avoid it if I can.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

This is why I ensure my camera! Also, I rarely leave my camera in the car... and NEVER leave it in the car if the outside temp is over 80 degrees.

Dj R wrote:
I don't leave a computer or camera in my car EVER
Just not worth the risk for theft.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:01 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

My D300 spent 4 years in my route truck. I never worried about it. Summers hit 95F and winters -15F. It was in a box behind my seat and camouflaged by bungee cords and cargo straps. All I did was change out batteries occasionally. Years later, it is still going. If I did any damage it still hasn't shown up. I have not lost a single battery or memory card to heat and cold in the truck. Company policy was that if I was not physically in the cab it was locked with windows closed.

Go ahead, baby it. Wrap it in swaddling cloths. Keep it's environment at 72F with 35% humidity. It's your time and money.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

CanadaMark wrote:
I wouldn't do it personally, even though often times these devices are tougher than we give them credit for. Not worth the risk. If you absolutely have to, leave it in the trunk, not where there is glass and in a secondary bag or container if possible.

How hot does it get up in the mountains of Alberta?

Kent in SD

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:42 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

Two23 wrote:
How hot does it get up in the mountains of Alberta?

Kent in SD

This summer we had a few consecutive weeks of approximately 30-35C (86-95F). I believe some records were set for how long it was so hot. If you didn't have air conditioning you were having a bad time! The summers are hot and dry.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

If you must leave it in a car, put it inside a cooler in the trunk, with or without one of those chemical ice gel packs.

I would never leave anything inside a Jeep.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:47 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

Hmm, I don't know. I've been leaving bags of camera gear in hot cars for over 30 years now and have never had an issue with the bodies or lenses. Heck, even film survived the ordeal. I typically just have too much gear to take everything with me each time I leave the car. My biggest fear isn't heat but theft - so I always keep things covered / hidden as much as possible.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:58 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

Dj R wrote:
I had a 5D mark III die on me, while shooting from the pit at Wrigley a few summers back. It was 114 on the field though. It needed a new board.

How, how does one obtain this access........

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:04 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

If you are going to do this you need to have the right physical picture.

The camera has an appreciable heat capacity (energy required to raise temperture by one degree). The camera gains heat energy mostly by conduction if it is insulated. More insulation means the temperature increases more slowly.

EVENTUALLY the camera will come into equilibrium with its surroundings (well above 115 F for a car in Arizona in summer).

So (1) use insulation and (2) don't let it sit too long.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera in Hot Car a No No?

My gear gets left in the car and it definitely gets hot here. I usually don't do it on purpose, but it happens. That said, it's never left in direct sunlight. It's always "hidden" due to possible theft.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.