New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

I want to utilize the dual slot capability of Nikon D850 for keeping backups as I shoot. My main card is Sony XQD G 64GB. I want to save images to SD cards as well as a backup. Debating if I need SDXC UHSII to keep up with the 'writes' in XQD cards ( i shoot landscapes primarily and sometime wildlife) or SDXC UHS I will work just fine which is almost half the price albeit with relatively very slow writes,

Thx

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

UHS-II if you don't want to slow it down too much or use by itself and want to get maximum performance.

SD will never really keep up with the writes vs an XQD card.

I just have it there as overflow and or the occasional needed nef/jpg option

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:09 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

Hmm. In that note what do u do for keeing backups on location with CF cards i had option to backup on portable drives

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:33 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

The sandisk UHSii is fast... 300mb/s, but doesn't come in 256gb capacity yet. Their 95mb/s cards are quick too... id do one of those. Seeing you're shooting with "only" 64gb cards, is bite the bullet and buy this:

msoomro wrote:
I want to utilize the dual slot capability of Nikon D850 for keeping backups as I shoot. My main card is Sony XQD G 64GB. I want to save images to SD cards as well as a backup. Debating if I need SDXC UHSII to keep up with the 'writes' in XQD cards ( i shoot landscapes primarily and sometime wildlife) or SDXC UHS I will work just fine which is almost half the price albeit with relatively very slow writes,

Thx

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

msoomro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

@Blakehfreeman: For my main cards I like to go small. 64GB are as much as I feel comfortable to go. I don't like putting too many images on one card. Tooo risky to loose images. However, for backups (SD cards) I can go larger capacities as well. I use one backup card per day whether it gets full or not.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:07 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

Totally understand! When I did paid work I did the same... although today with dual memory card slots I've become complacent and have the current set up for my D850 (whenever it arrives 😡 ):

msoomro wrote:
@Blakehfreeman@@: For my main cards I like to go small. 64GB are as much as I feel comfortable to go. I don't like putting too many images on one card. Tooo risky to loose images. However, for backups (SD cards) I can go larger capacities as well. I use one backup card per day whether it gets full or not.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SDXC UHS I or UHSII for Nikon D850 as backup card

msoomro wrote:
Hmm. In that note what do u do for keeing backups on location with CF cards i had option to backup on portable drives

I have more than a few XQD2 cards to begin with (previous bodies supporting them). and since I shoot for dollars quite a bit I do have a laptop with me a high percentage of the time. with BU drives. I also don't shoot at the volume that some do. I rarely hit on the SD card. and if I do use it it's for jpg so I don't need to match sizes.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password