New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Buying from someone in Canada?

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Buying from someone in Canada?

jcolwell wrote:
P.S. Sending a digital camera to the US is considerably more complicated, as you have to complete FCC disclosure and commercial importation documents, even for a personal sale between friends. Incomplete or incorrect information on these forms will delay the shipment at customs, and/or result in it being returned to sender (I've experienced both situations).

Would probably just be easier for me to drive to Winnipeg. It's not all that far.

Kent in SD

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:35 PM
jbear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Buying from someone in Canada?

I appreciate all of the responses. I've never done this with a piece of gear at this price-point. I'm going to be safe and just go domestic with this one.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:28 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Buying from someone in Canada?

mphocus wrote:
Actually no I wouldn't have had to pay the taxes on a used lens. So the $99.49 was a total surprise

Actually yes....Canadians pay taxes(HST/GST/PST) on all goods purchased,new or used, in the US. So you're not surprised the next time you buy anything from the US, when you or the package crosses the border into Canada, taxes are collected either by the courier/post or CBSA. No duty on camera equipment as per NAFTA which might change if 45 has his way(I digress).

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:18 PM
mphocus
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Buying from someone in Canada?

mogud wrote:
Actually yes....Canadians pay taxes(HST/GST/PST) on all goods purchased,new or used, in the US. So you're not surprised the next time you buy anything from the US, when you or the package crosses the border into Canada, taxes are collected either by the courier/post or CBSA. No duty on camera equipment as per NAFTA which might change if 45 has his way(I digress).

I guess I got a free pass on all these times. Except for the one item last year I haven't had to pay taxes.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Buying from someone in Canada?

kozmo30 wrote:
If you follow this link it will take you to the Canadapost site:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s9

After filling out the required info and selecting which service on the next page you will be given a shipping rate. After choosing which service you would like to use there is a box on the bottom right which allows you to calculate duties.

I typed in $2700 for a camera lens and came up with $66 CAD plus shipping.

Hope that helps.

I would not pay any attention to that "calculate duties" part. Canada Post is either wrong or that is out-of-date, or applies to something other than camera gear.

Why would Canada Post even care what U.S. duties be, not that there are any?

Oct 04, 2017 at 01:59 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Buying from someone in Canada?

jcolwell wrote:
P.S. Sending a digital camera to the US is considerably more complicated, as you have to complete FCC disclosure and commercial importation documents, even for a personal sale between friends. Incomplete or incorrect information on these forms will delay the shipment at customs, and/or result in it being returned to sender (I've experienced both situations).

What is complicated about it? I have been sending used digital cameras to the U.S. for the past 12+ years, and all I had to do was fill out a declaration form at the post office.

It is even easier now. All I have to do is fill out the Canada Post form online, print it out, take that form to the post office, where they just scan the barcode. Then I just have to sign the form they print out and pay for the package.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

Hardly complicated.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Buying from someone in Canada?

Imagemaster wrote:
...Hardly complicated.

It gets complicated when it's worth more than $1000 and you send it by courier; otherwise, it can't have full insurance coverage.

Oct 04, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Buying from someone in Canada?

Seems I recall that I was going to send a camera once by Purolator because I wanted more insurance, then the agent said they did not insure used gear for replacement value.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaplah
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Buying from someone in Canada?

They don't, they will insure for what you're selling it for (because that sets the value). So worst case it goes missing, you can get a used one in comparable condition.

If the insured for replacement value, I'd be buying up used D3x cameras and shipping them hither and yon

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Buying from someone in Canada?

kaplah wrote:
They don't, they will insure for what you're selling it for (because that sets the value).

I would not bet on that. I would bet they would come up with their own figure for what it was worth. Just like CBSA will do for calculating tax payable if they believe your figure is incorrect..

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:25 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Buying from someone in Canada?

Imagemaster wrote:
I would not bet on that. I would bet they would come up with their own figure for what it was worth. Just like CBSA will do for calculating tax payable if they believe your figure is incorrect..

With Canada Post it's not a bet. It's a) their stated policy and b) my recent experience. CP asked for proof of what the object was and what I sold it for / paid for it. Then sent me a cheque.

With purolator it would have to be the same. If you pay for $4K with of insurance, they'd damn well better pay out if you can show the value of the good (e.g., with a paypal screenshot). Having them value it would be silly - things are worth what someone recently paid for it, not what an adjuster thinks.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Buying from someone in Canada?

kaplah wrote:
Having them value it would be silly - things are worth what someone recently paid for it, not what an adjuster thinks.

Really? What do you think insurance companies pay adjusters to do? Total your car and ICBC will give you what they tell you it is worth, not what you recently paid for it.

And why do you think insurance companies sell "replacement" insurance at a higher rate than regular insurance?

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:05 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Buying from someone in Canada?

Imagemaster wrote:
Really? What do you think insurance companies pay adjusters to do? Total your car and ICBC will give you what they tell you it is worth, not what you recently paid for it.

Yes, really. It's completely different. On a package, one insures, and pays accordingly, for a specific value, readily confirmed, should it need be, with documentation as I noted. Also as noted, I've done it, recently, with Canada Post.

On a car, one insures for the replacement value of a comparable vehicle, which an adjuster will assess taking into account various factors such as age, condition, etc.

If you pay for insurance on a package and it goes missing, as long as you can prove the value matches the amount of insurance you paid for, you'll get compensated.

I assume damaged goods would involve more judgment (e.g., what is the cost of repair?), but have never investigated.

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:47 AM
steve807

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Buying from someone in Canada?

I thought NAFTA made this sort of thing easier. It did improve my travel for business problems that used to occur before it went into effect.

Oct 12, 2017 at 01:55 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Buying from someone in Canada?

Back when the exchange rate was 1.42 I scored several lenses from Canada. Shipped via Canada Post
to me in NM...took about 3 days. Never paid a dime in tax/fees. Most proud of my 200-500 for $1134

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Buying from someone in Canada?

It's amazing how many Canadians see a post asking about shipping to the USA, and then go on a rant about shipping from the USA... must be a reading comprehension issue.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password