Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Buying from someone in Canada?
  
 
jbear
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Hey All,
I'm considering buying a lens from a seller in Canada and we're both curious as to whether or not any duty would be charged. If it's around $2700 is there going to be a cost to me as the buyer when customs passes the lens through?
Thanks all!



Oct 02, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Dj R
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying from someone in Canada?


never had a problem in either direction.


Oct 02, 2017 at 09:31 PM
mphocus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Anything over $100 gets charged duty and with that the taxes and service charges that comes from figuring the duty out. Now saying that, I have had things slip through the border without being charged but other items I have purchased from FM was charged duty. It really is a crap shoot.


Oct 02, 2017 at 09:37 PM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Most used cameras and lenses going between Canada and the US get charged for local sales tax at tbe destination, plus a handling fee; not duty. The handling fee varies from five to ten bucks for USPS/CPC, to ridiculous prices for courier ground. In order to get full insurance for this lens going from Canada to the US, it has to be sent via courier ($1000 is max coverage for Canada Post).


Oct 02, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying from someone in Canada?


mphocus wrote:
Anything over $100 gets charged duty and with that the taxes and service charges that comes from figuring the duty out. Now saying that, I have had things slip through the border without being charged but other items I have purchased from FM was charged duty. It really is a crap shoot.


Are you sure you are getting charged duty or just brokerage/taxes? UPS is horrible for brokerage fees and I stay away from them. Fedex and USPS are great.

I have always understood that cameras and lenses are duty free. Camping gear on the other hand is not and found that out the hard way when I purchased a tent and was charged almost a $100 for duty.

Depending on how strong your morals are you can request the seller to label the item as a gift to avoid any taxes.




Oct 02, 2017 at 10:49 PM
mphocus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Hardcore wrote:
Are you sure you are getting charged duty or just brokerage/taxes? UPS is horrible for brokerage fees and I stay away from them. Fedex and USPS are great.

I have always understood that cameras and lenses are duty free. Camping gear on the other hand is not and found that out the hard way when I purchased a tent and was charged almost a $100 for duty.

Depending on how strong your morals are you can request the seller to label the item as a gift to avoid any taxes.



It could be brokerage. I would have to go back and look. But it was an amount I wasn't expecting.



Oct 02, 2017 at 11:03 PM
rdeloe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying from someone in Canada?


I'm in Canada and buy lots of stuff from the US. As Jim says, you get charged the sales tax, plus the handling fee. Canada Post handling fee is about $10 CAD. Courier is more (and UPS often much more). About 1 time in 5 things slip through with neither taxes not handling fee.

Going the other way (Can-US), what you pay has to be figured out at your end. I'd call the post office if it's coming by USPS. Courier will also know if it's a more expensive item.



Oct 02, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Two23
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buying from someone in Canada?


I've never been charged anything extra from Canada. I've made several purchases in the past couple of years, mostly ebay.


Kent in SD



Oct 02, 2017 at 11:26 PM
jbear
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Wow...that's pretty all over the place.
So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what the maximum hit might be.



Oct 02, 2017 at 11:55 PM
Robert E
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Over the past 5 years I've purchased items from sellers in Canada and never been charged a duty tax or any extra fee. All packages were marked "USED camera lens" (or what ever the item, the key word is: "USED" ) on the customs paper. Also, I never use UPS or FEDEX, always used Canada Post to USPS.



Oct 02, 2017 at 11:56 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



snapsy
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buying from someone in Canada?


If you'd like to be able to service the lens at Nikon USA then be sure to get a copy of the seller's receipt from the Nikon Canada dealer. You'll need that receipt if you ever send the lens in for paid service to Nikon USA - without it Nikon will treat the lens as grey market and not service it.


Oct 03, 2017 at 12:03 AM
molson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buying from someone in Canada?


There is no US duty on cameras, but there is a 2% duty on lenses.

The post office doesn't collect duty or taxes, but the courier services like UPS and FedEx do - plus an extra fee for themselves.



Oct 03, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buying from someone in Canada?


mphocus wrote:
It could be brokerage. I would have to go back and look. But it was an amount I wasn't expecting.


The charges are clearly itemized on the import form. You did not pay duty. You paid tax and/or brokerage fees.



Oct 03, 2017 at 12:09 AM
mphocus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Imagemaster wrote:
The charges are clearly itemized on the import form. You did not pay duty. You paid tax and/or brokerage fees.


Ugh so I had to go back into last year's income tax to find out. $44.77 GST, $44.77 PST Both are taxes) and $9.95 Brokerage fees. No duty. This was on a value of $895.44 Cdn So no duty but a lot of money I wasn't expecting. $99.49 to be exact



Oct 03, 2017 at 12:43 AM
Two23
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Robert E wrote:
Over the past 5 years I've purchased items from sellers in Canada and never been charged a duty tax or any extra fee. All packages were marked "USED camera lens" (or what ever the item, the key word is: "USED" ) on the customs paper. Also, I never use UPS or FEDEX, always used Canada Post to USPS.



Now that I think of it, my Canadian shippers always used the post office to send my items. They have all kinds of weird stamps--some even have critters or women on them.


Kent in SD



Oct 03, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buying from someone in Canada?


mphocus wrote:
Ugh so I had to go back into last year's income tax to find out. $44.77 GST, $44.77 PST Both are taxes) and $9.95 Brokerage fees. No duty. This was on a value of $895.44 Cdn So no duty but a lot of money I wasn't expecting. $99.49 to be exact


So the only fees that should have surprised you, if you had not imported from the U.S. before, would have been the $9.95 brokerage fees. You would have paid the same taxes had you purchased in Canada.



Oct 03, 2017 at 03:05 AM
mphocus
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buying from someone in Canada?


Imagemaster wrote:
So the only fees that should have surprised you, if you had not imported from the U.S. before, would have been the $9.95 brokerage fees. You would have paid the same taxes had you purchased in Canada.


Actually no I wouldn't have had to pay the taxes on a used lens. So the $99.49 was a total surprise



Oct 03, 2017 at 03:11 AM
mah4ever
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buying from someone in Canada?


I've sold several items (mostly used cameras) to people in the US, some well over 1000$us. Always used Canada Post, and labeled the item 'used camera'. To my knowledge never has a buyer had to pay any additional fees at all.


Oct 03, 2017 at 08:07 AM
kozmo30
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buying from someone in Canada?


If you follow this link it will take you to the Canadapost site:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s9

After filling out the required info and selecting which service on the next page you will be given a shipping rate. After choosing which service you would like to use there is a box on the bottom right which allows you to calculate duties.

I typed in $2700 for a camera lens and came up with $66 CAD plus shipping.

Hope that helps.



Oct 03, 2017 at 09:50 AM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buying from someone in Canada?


kozmo30 wrote:
...I typed in $2700 for a camera lens and came up with $66 CAD plus shipping..


The maximum insurance coverage for shipping to the US via Canada Post is $1000 CA. The lens in question is worth $2700 (assume US), which is about $3400 CA.

As a seller (or buyer), I would require full insurance coverage, and so sending by courier is the only option. Based on my considerable experience doing exactly this, I estimate it would cost about $250 (a quick check shows $287 at FedEx), for international economy. International ground costs only $125, but the buyer will have to pay a hefty handling fee that's not required with the other option (and it's very difficult to find out how much it will cost the buyer). In either case, the buyer will also have to pay local sales tax at the destination rates, and a modest US customs handling fee.

P.S. Sending a digital camera to the US is considerably more complicated, as you have to complete FCC disclosure and commercial importation documents, even for a personal sale between friends. Incomplete or incorrect information on these forms will delay the shipment at customs, and/or result in it being returned to sender (I've experienced both situations).



Oct 03, 2017 at 11:31 AM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password