New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

What are my options for using a wireless radio triggered flash for the D810? Talking about i-ttl speedlights here

Infrared won't do since I have the flash next or sometimes slightly behind the camera.

Oct 02, 2017 at 08:45 PM
phototoronto

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Radio Popper Px?

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Paul_K
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

I'm a longtime user of Pocket Wizard TT5's radio triggers, use them with the camera's CLS menu option, as well as the Nikon SU800 and PW AC3 zone controller (Don't have the TT1 as it's only a transmitter while the TT5 us both a transmitter and receiver)
Pocket Wizard claims a max range of around 100 feet, although admittedly never used them at such a distance (never needed to, thus never tried)

Not the cheapest ones around, but as far as I've experienced over the years work flawlessly on my D7100/D3/DF/D800's with SB600/800/910's in CLS TTL and manual mode wherever I position my speedlights (front, back, alongside of me)
Thanks to the (regular) firmware updates also work on newer bodies up to the D5 (update for use on the D850 will no doubt come soon)
Don't work as good on Canon speedlights though, something with radio interference due to the Canon speedlights themselves which can only be countered with special 'socks'.

With the TT5's even the SB400 can be used CLS, despite that officially it's not CLS compatible
Thus it becomes a small sized, and thanks to CLS reduced output, very low output/GN remote flash that can be slipped into a corner or crevice to add just that tiny extra 'spark' to eg lighten up a 'black hole' on the background or add a light accent on hair or garment

I can also use then as 'dumb' triggers on my Bowens studio strobes with (admittedly expensive for what they are and do) additional cables

Even use them on my old Metz 60CT4 potato head flash units I have lying around for decades (already used them during my film shooting days on my F801S/F90/F90X/F100 bodies)
With their 200Ws (at full power in Manual mode) output a cheap/no (extra) cost location flash option I have already lying around when there's no AC available compared to eg buying a Elinchrom Quadra or ELB 400

If I were to buy 'new' TTL dedicated radio triggers nowadays, I would give the Phottix Odins a serious thought.
Cheaper then the TT5's, although Phottix does not have a customer service (if any) of the same quality as Pocket Wizard . As they were only introduced in 2014, of course weren't around yet when I bought my first TT5's back in 2011, so no blame on Pocket Wizard in that respect from me
Extended my number of TT5's slowly over the years, so the total cost has been less 'painful' then if I would have to get a full set (trigger and several receivers) in one buy nowadays

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:04 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

The PX units, while great, were obsolete some time ago (still sold of course). I loved them for quite some time, then finally other systems became available that solved the previous compatibility issues and were much, much easier and faster to setup and teardown and transports. The only reason to use them now is long-range TTL, which would be an odd use-case.

If one needs TTL, I suggest the Godox X1 transmitter / receiver system - with Godox speedlights, receiver is built in.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:45 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

If you're looking for 3rd party, I went with Godox/Flashpoint/Cheetahstand with their X1 transmitter along with their lights. You can run both 3rd party on the hotshoe(groups a-c) and Nikon via their radio system(groups d-f if I'm not mistaken).

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:21 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

The Godox x1n looks ok to me. Is it possible to use them to radio trigger the SB-5000 (for example)? Or is it better to hook them up with the Godox V860II?

I have never used Godox stuff. How is the quality (compared to Nikon/Canon speedlights)?

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:04 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

I can give an honest recommendation to the YN-622 or whatever it's called. I've got a set of those and they work great.

The D500 and D750 worked fine with them. I suspect the D810 will as well.

They triggered my SB-910 well enough, support TTL (even though I don't use it) and the range is stated to be well outside anything I'd use it for.

You can also pick up a bunch of them for what one or two of the other ones cost.

Oct 03, 2017 at 07:41 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Daan B wrote:
The Godox x1n looks ok to me. Is it possible to use them to radio trigger the SB-5000 (for example)? Or is it better to hook them up with the Godox V860II?

I have never used Godox stuff. How is the quality (compared to Nikon/Canon speedlights)?

https://comrace.ca/images/godoxx/

I expect that a Godox receiver would trigger and control an SB-5000. But yes, in my view it's better to use the X1N with V860II flashes (better range, no external trigger required, faster recycle, more "pops" on a charge).

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:40 PM
clickmepp
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

You can have a look at New Radio Transmitter - Flashpoint R2 Pro 2.4GHz Transmitter for Nikon (XPro-N)

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2pron.html
https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2zlr.html

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:08 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

The "R2 Pro" for Nikon isn't out yet - notice the "Pre Order Now" on the page. But they will be easier / faster to adjust than the X1N transmitter, at the cost of some bulk and not having a second hot shoe. I'll likely get one once they've been out long enough for a few firmware updates and have good reviews.

Also, ordering from Adorama gives some support, vs. ordering Godox from eBay where you get no support.

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

I was under the impression that the flagship SB-5000 had a wireless trigger built-in and compatible with new Nikon cameras....is that not true?
Douglas

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:52 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

The sb-5000 has acts as a receiver, you'll need to purchase 2 additional components for the bodies to transmit for the D500, D5, and D850 bodies.

Depends on your budget and needs. For example.

SB-5000 + trasmit kit will cost around $750 USD
Godox AD200 + x1n transmitter will cost around $400 USD

I haven't tried controlling power remotely from the x1n transmitter with a x1 receiver on the sb-5000.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:33 PM
vitalishe
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Another +1 for Godox/Flashpoint.
Keep in mind that it is a SYSTEM. They have a whole range of flashes all controlled by a single radio trigger and their receivers are built in. That's a saving in bulk and price.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:13 PM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

I switched from Nikon optical wireless flashes to the Flashpoint R2ttl transmitter and a couple Zoom Lion flashes about a year ago and I'm very happy with them. You mentioned that you would have one of the flashes right next to the camera. There is an undocumented feature on the R2 transmitter that will change the distance range. Normally if you have a flash closer than about 8-10 inches to the transmitter it won't fire. By holding down the test button, while you turn on the transmitter and waiting for the red light to flash twice you put it into a closer distance mode, where it will fire a flash right next to the camera, (at the expense of further distances I guess). I use this system a lot when shooting macro and was frustrated until I stumbled upon this feature.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:43 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

bgorum wrote:
There is an undocumented feature on the R2 transmitter that will change the distance range.

It's documented in the firmware release notes.

Oct 04, 2017 at 01:40 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

webmstrk9 wrote:
SB-5000 + trasmit kit will cost around $750 USD
Godox AD200 + x1n transmitter will cost around $400 USD

A better comparison would be a V860II + X1N transmitter - similar light output to the SB-5000 (although much better battery life and quicker recycle), similar form factor.

That would be, from Adorama, $180 + $46 == $226.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:02 AM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

I own 3 Godox 860IIn together with 3 X1T transmitters and recently added a AD200.
I have had issues with all 3 860s!
Two of them came apart at the foot with one of them losing all the tiny screws and bearings.
I ended up permanently JB Welding a foot to each of them.
The 3rd one's jog dial stopped working so I cannot change anything on it.
It is fine as a remote flash but I occasionally need to have an on camera flash at events so am back to using my SB910...

The AD200 on the other hand is solid!
I would recommend it.
Recycle times however are not as quick as my old SU800/Radiopopper PX/ SB910 with external battery pack combo.

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:50 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Good info here. Thanks everybody

Basically I look for a performance similar to my Canon 600EX-RT plus battery pack and ST-E3-RT.

It certainly would be nice to use the flash also on the camera hotshoe for other purposes.

Oct 04, 2017 at 06:39 AM
bgorum
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

kaplah wrote:
It's documented in the firmware release notes.

Good to know. It's not documented in my instruction manual and I've never updated the firmware on mine.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:42 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wireless radio triggered flash for D810

Yeah, one would hope that Godox updated it's official manual. But that's one of the trade-offs for comparatively low-cost goods.

If one wants a great manual, go SB-5000.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password