New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Rumor has it that were in for a surprise from Sony this month. Any guesses what it might be?

I think the a7III is expected, so it would only be a surprise if there were some substantial upgrades (36MP BSI? Same AF as the a9?). Perhaps it's an a9s or a9r? Possibilities, of course, but my guess is Sony will let the a9 stand alone and the other lines will continue their upgrade paths with some of the a9's tech trickling down. The RX trio has had recent upgrades, though I guess the 10 and 100 are making the RX1rII look a little long in the tooth. Maybe they'll go a different route with an RX1 body and the stacked 24MP BSI from the a9r with it's AF. They could call it the RX1 Lightning. That would surprise me.

My guess/hope is that it will be a FF 18- 24MP (hopefully BSI) in an a6xxx series body. The a6300 seems like the best compromise for a sturdy mount with the least amount of bulk.

Edited on Oct 02, 2017 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:58 PM
nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

I'd love a FF sensor on an A6300 body! Doubt it will ever happen though...

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

I'm ready for the A7RIII or A9R....

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Jonathan Brady
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

The cameras that, more or less, make sense to announce that this month are the A7III and the RX100 VI.
I'd like to see an A9r or A7RIII that's essentially a 5 FPS, high megapixel A9.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Me too...>>A9r or A7RIII that's essentially a 5 FPS, high megapixel A9.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:27 PM
youpii

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Maybe something with 8K video

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:16 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

nampramos wrote:
I'd love a FF sensor on an A6300 body! Doubt it will ever happen though...

I'm not ready to give up hope yet, since that would be the perfect back-up solution and grab-and-go camera for me. Besides, it's less ridiculous than my dream of them, in the spirit of their long-standing relationship with Zeiss, releasing roughly the same camera with an M-mount and a sensor tuned to play well with ZM lenses. That dream ends with Zeiss releasing a new, high quality but less expensive than the original ZM Sonnar 85/2 and an all-new ZM Sonnar 135/3.4.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:32 PM
saxguy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Jonathan Brady wrote:
The cameras that, more or less, make sense to announce that this month are the A7III and the RX100 VI.
I'd like to see an A9r or A7RIII that's essentially a 5 FPS, high megapixel A9.

What would the RX100 vi potentially bring to the table over the v?

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:40 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

What about a stacked APSC sensor camera with all the advantages of the a9, including the upgraded battery? Would there be enough there to differentiate it from the a6500 as the "professional choice" for APSC?

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Jonathan Brady
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

saxguy wrote:
What would the RX100 vi potentially bring to the table over the v?

Not sure, honestly. Except for a touchscreen.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

How about a replacement for the very long in the tooth RX1r MKII? Plenty to upgrade there.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:50 PM
saxguy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

SoundHound wrote:
How about a replacement for the very long in the tooth RX1r MKII? Plenty to upgrade there.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-rx1rii-marked-discountinued-scandinavianphoto/

Wondering if I should just get a refund on the one I just exchanged. Maybe the III really is coming.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:14 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

I expect an A7RIII which will be likely an A9 with higher resolution CMOS sensor and hopefully an improvement in low ISO DR but reduced fps functionality. Unfortunately I also expect - again - a much too high price tag for this camera when it is released.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

I think there will be an A7 III, which will be very nice but not a big surprise. It should have a 24mp BSI sensor, a body with a joystick and probably 2 card slots, much better AF, and nice 4K video. All those things are nice upgrades and I expect the price to stay below $2,000. As a surprise, how about an FE 35 f/1.8 lens for $600, and if it close to as good as the 85 f/1.8 it will be a huge hit.

Less of a surprise, I also expect a GM 135 f/1.8 or f/2, but that lens will be very welcomed by some folks as well.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:35 PM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

RX00 with the sensor as in iPhone X.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:48 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think there will be an A7 III, which will be very nice but not a big surprise. It should have a 24mp BSI sensor, a body with a joystick and probably 2 card slots, much better AF, and nice 4K video. All those things are nice upgrades and I expect the price to stay below $2,000. As a surprise, how about an FE 35 f/1.8 lens for $600, and if it close to as good as the 85 f/1.8 it will be a huge hit.

Less of a surprise, I also expect a GM 135 f/1.8 or f/2, but
...Show more

A Sony 35/1.8 FE would be the first 35mm that doesn't carry the Zeiss label, so yes that's probably the way for them to do it. If they brings it to market ahead of the rumoured Sigma 35/1.4, they should enjoy greater sales too.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:49 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

I'm hoping an A7III will be able to do 8fps, making it a sort of "full frame A6500" as the 6500 will do 11fps but only 8 when you want to avoid the "slideshow effect".

Otherwise, I feel like it'll be too close to something like a Canon 6D2. Sure, one will argue/hope the size/weight/IQ will all be better, but I feel like Sony will want to go a step further. Plus, it seems like there's a big gap in their action camera lineup to have the A9 at 20fps and $4,500, and the A7III at something like 6fps.

On lenses, the rumors continue to point to a 135 and a 400 of some sort. Otherwise, they've really come along on their lens options. Agree a fast 35 is missing though. Otherwise, maybe a 24-105 f/4? A fast wide prime?

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Hopefully the A7III will have an updated 24MP sensor and a silent shutter. All the rest will be nice extras for me.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:40 PM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

Would like a new Rx1rIII. That will answer my rx1rii vs leica Q dilemma hopefully

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony's October Surprise- any guesses?

A big surprise to me would be a new fixed-lens compact full frame camera with a first ever curved sensor design.
Dream?

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:50 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password