Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Maybe I have a bad copy?

bolesauto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

I recently purchased a Zeiss 85mm 1.4 A-Mount and have noticed a lot of CA in this lens. Also my a99ii requires more lens micro adjustment than the same lenses needed on my a7ii. Previously I used an old Canon FD 85mm 1.2L adapted to work with my a7ii. I recently sold the a7ii and purchased the a99ii. I noticed CA from the 85 on both cameras and only required minimal adjustment on the a7ii auto focus. I have a Sigma 35mm 1.4 art that required no adjustment on my a7ii but requires a fair amount on my a99ii. -11 seems to be a bit much from what I'm used to. Before I schedule this for inspection with Sony I'd like to hear from those with experience with any of these lenses and with the a99ii. I'll have to rent gear while anything I have is in for repair and would rather avoid that if I'm just being too picky. I should say that they work properly but the CA on the 85 is horrible in sunny conditions. So much so that I avoid using it at all during sunny days.

Thanks!

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:31 PM
InFocus2014
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

bolesauto wrote:
I recently purchased a Zeiss 85mm 1.4 A-Mount and have noticed a lot of CA in this lens. Also my a99ii requires more lens micro adjustment than the same lenses needed on my a7ii. Previously I used an old Canon FD 85mm 1.2L adapted to work with my a7ii. I recently sold the a7ii and purchased the a99ii. I noticed CA from the 85 on both cameras and only required minimal adjustment on the a7ii auto focus. I have a Sigma 35mm 1.4 art that required no adjustment on my a7ii but requires a fair amount on my a99ii. -11
...Show more

When I was shooting the A99, I acquired the Zeiss 85mm f1.4. After two weeks of shooting, I put it up for sale. The Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (LoCA's) were the worst I had ever experienced. In outdoor shooting, it looked like someone took green and magenta Sharpies and outlined all contrasting edges. Using CA compensation in ACR or Lightroom just left halo's around these edges, they were so bad. At the time, there weren't many choices so I replaced it with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 (pre-ART). It was sharp in the center at f1.4, but soft outside that area. Today, if I were shooting the A99II, I would get the Tamron 85mm f1.8.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:12 PM
bolesauto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

Glad and sad to see that I am not the only one experiencing this. The 85 is just horrible.

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

The Sony 85mm f/1.4 ZA is not that bad at all - I had this lens before and used it on the A7r and A7 II via LA-EA4. True that the LoCA at high contrast boundaries at shinny/metal objects is noticeable but besides that, it is not bad at all and the rendition is lovely. I sold it and bought a Batis 85mm when it became available though but mostly because of the silent AF motor and better AF features without any adapter, especially on the A7r II.

Here are two images taken with that lens.

AGeoJO 2017

ILCE-7M2    85mm F1.4 ZA lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/40s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2017

ILCE-7M2    85mm F1.4 ZA lens    85mm    f/2.5    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 09, 2017 at 10:26 PM
umsl12
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

Wonderful pictures, Josh!

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:14 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maybe I have a bad copy?

umsl12 wrote:
Wonderful pictures, Josh!

Thank you, Steven!

Oct 10, 2017 at 01:17 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password