New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Found on Amazon

runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Found on Amazon

This is one tenth the price of a Nikon speedlite. Does nearly everything a Nikon lite does. The biggest shortcoming seems to be braqging rights. Or in this case you get to brag about how much you saved. They do last. I have had the 750 II for a couple of years with no problems. At this price you could buy one every 2 years and be far ahead of a single Nikon speedlite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2XZG85/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or 2 for 75 bucks. Somebody at Nikon must be losing sleep;.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-i-TTL-Speedlite-Camera-NW-562/dp/B01HI1OV5I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1506909437&sr=8-8&keywords=neewer+flash+nikon

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:51 AM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Found on Amazon

Ok

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:37 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Found on Amazon

My favorites are the Yongnuo speedlites. Their latest ITTL version YN685 has a built-in receiver for their rf603 and YN-622N. A big plus is that it can support external battery!!!! Just a bit over $100.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:43 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Found on Amazon

TooManyShots wrote:
My favorites are the Yongnuo speedlites. Their latest ITTL version YN685 has a built-in receiver for their rf603 and YN-622N. A big plus is that it can support external battery!!!! Just a bit over $100.

That's actually really cool. I use a set of 622n receivers on my yongnuo lights, 568 I think. Seems to work well enough, and even the SB-910 plays nice with them.

My only concern is durability, if I'm in a questionable situation with rain, etc I bring the Nikon.

Otherwise, I'll probably grab a yongnuo first. (or several of them)

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:56 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Found on Amazon

Oh...rain? I shot plenty of my YN560III in the rain. I am talking about downpour. Is fine. With light rain, I won't need to cover it. With a huge downpour, I would just cover it with a clear sandwich bag. The gaps are tight over all but water may get in from the buttons area....

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:33 AM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Found on Amazon

TooManyShots wrote:
Oh...rain? I shot plenty of my YN560III in the rain. I am talking about downpour. Is fine. With light rain, I won't need to cover it. With a huge downpour, I would just cover it with a clear sandwich bag. The gaps are tight over all but water may get in from the buttons area....

Interesting. If that's the case, I can really see no advantage of the Nikon over the Yongnuo.

The communication protocol seems to have been reverse engineered, when I had a camera with the flash commander, that'd work with the yongnuo flashes as well.

I'm 100% satisfied with mine, and recommend them to anyone that will listen.

Are the Nikon flashes better? Probably, but for what most people do with em, I can't say it's several hundred dollars worth of better.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:26 AM
SiMuMe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Found on Amazon

I've done the Chinese 3rd party speedlights, batteries, third party lenses journey and there is always a risk. Half my Sigma lenses don't work with my Nikons. Had a premature battery failure and an overheating POS Speedlight.

We could all buy third party and watch Nikon fold. Or, we could support the company that puts the R&D in first. Love my Sigma lenses but if Nikon made a 18-35 f/1.8 DX and 50-100mm f1/.8 DX, I'd be saving for them.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:33 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Found on Amazon

You guys slam others for using off brand batteries. But recommend this cheapo type speedlight.
Seems odd

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:55 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Found on Amazon

Charles Loy wrote:
You guys slam others for using off brand batteries. But recommend this cheapo type speedlight.
Seems odd

Not really. 3rd party lighting equipment really can't damage your camera. Poor QC or design in 3rd party batteries could.

For me, the biggest draw to third party lights is integrated wireless systems. Nikon was really late to the party with RF triggering in their speedlights. It is inarguable that the SB-900, for instance, is much more well built than any of the Yongnuo/Godox/Etc lights out there--but the integrated wireless receivers are a feature not offered by the OEM lights until very recently. There are many 3rd party light systems that are reliable and a very good value, which makes it hard for most to even consider Nikon speedlights.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Found on Amazon

Photozack81 wrote:
Interesting. If that's the case, I can really see no advantage of the Nikon over the Yongnuo.

The communication protocol seems to have been reverse engineered, when I had a camera with the flash commander, that'd work with the yongnuo flashes as well.

I'm 100% satisfied with mine, and recommend them to anyone that will listen.

Are the Nikon flashes better? Probably, but for what most people do with em, I can't say it's several hundred dollars worth of better.

I shot a lot of bike racing this season in the rain. Let's just say that my D7000 was acting funny because of the downpour than my YN650III.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:58 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Found on Amazon

SiMuMe wrote:
I've done the Chinese 3rd party speedlights, batteries, third party lenses journey and there is always a risk. Half my Sigma lenses don't work with my Nikons. Had a premature battery failure and an overheating POS Speedlight.

We could all buy third party and watch Nikon fold. Or, we could support the company that puts the R&D in first. Love my Sigma lenses but if Nikon made a 18-35 f/1.8 DX and 50-100mm f1/.8 DX, I'd be saving for them.

Well, if I am about to spend over $400 for the SB910, I may was well get a bare bulb flash system with ITTL with 2x the power. Good for you if you can afford a $400 speedlite. I can't.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:59 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Found on Amazon

TooManyShots wrote:

Yongnuo needs to wake up, because Godox is currently wiping the floor with them. Why spend money on Yongnuo when buying Godox equipment buys into a whole, fully fleshed out lineup of lighting equipment that all works together?

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:11 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Found on Amazon

Looks like a Fisher-Price version of a speedlight. Once Yongnuo starts making DSLR's we can see how long their shutters will last.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:26 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Found on Amazon

voidsherpa wrote:
Looks like a Fisher-Price version of a speedlight. Once Yongnuo starts making DSLR's we can see how long their shutters will last.

Mine lasted me for 2 seasons shooting bike racing with over 50 races and about 700 shots strobed on average PER RACE. I say is pretty reliable for a sub $100 speedlite. Hehehhehehehe........... Of course, if you drop your gear a lot, sure, get the Nikon speedlite.

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:34 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Found on Amazon

SiMuMe wrote:

All my Sigma lenses work with my Nikons. Can you give us specific instances? Sigma has a standing policy of free rechipping for their lenses. I had one defective battery from battery barn or some such. It was replaced free. I have Ravpower batteries(Amazon) for my D500 and they work fine. I am still waiting for someone to give me proof of batteries damaging cameras.

I am happy to hear your pockets are deep enough to support Nikon's executives in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. I and most of my friends consider food, clothing and shelter to be higher priorities. Given that cell phone cameras are far more popular than D500's I would guess a lot of people are of the same thought.

IF Nikon folds, it will be seen as an inability to compete.Yongnuo sells a quaity product at 1/4 the price of Nikon.l Neewer has hit 1/10 Nikon's price. Yachts must be really expensive in Japan.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:08 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Found on Amazon

There's definitely circumstances where having a cheap flash is advantageous. My wife and I booked a photographer in Hawaii that used cheap Godox speedlights on lightstands in precarious situations where he probably wouldn't have been willing to risk a $500 speedlight. He had lightstands in the ocean, perched on rocks right by a waterfall, etc.

Oct 04, 2017 at 04:18 AM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Found on Amazon

voidsherpa wrote:

They make lenses too.

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-Standard-Aperture-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B01E38TZDC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507094773&sr=1-3&keywords=yongnuo+lens+nikon

They also make a 35mm and 100mm. No, I haven't tried them.

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:30 AM
SiMuMe
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Found on Amazon

runamuck wrote:
All my Sigma lenses work with my Nikons. Can you give us specific instances? Sigma has a standing policy of free rechipping for their lenses. I had one defective battery from battery barn or some such. It was replaced free. I have Ravpower batteries(Amazon) for my D500 and they work fine. I am still waiting for someone to give me proof of batteries damaging cameras.

I am happy to hear your pockets are deep enough to support Nikon's executives in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. I and most of my friends consider food, clothing and shelter to
...Show more

You could spare me Sigma's US policy, I don't live there. They only have a local distributor here and it's far from me. I'll have to trust couriers to ship and return my lenses in good nick across the country. I might do that eventually, but I'm leaning on just selling them eventually rather than the likelyhood of having to send them for rechipping every time Nikon introduces AF modules. The Global vision lenses have better support through the dock and I have one.

As I said 3(used to be 4) of my 7 Sigma lenses aren't working as expected on D7000(150mm Macro - Live View AF), D700(150mm Macro, 105 Macro OS - Live View AF), D5500 (150 Macro - MF only, 105 Macro OS + 50-150mm OS HSM - No functionality, no meter, nothing).

If I buy a D7500 next or a D500....I'll probably need to ship these lenses to Sigma again. That it'll be free is besides the point. I don't need to deal with that schlep with Nikon products.

A Chinese-made SB910 clone overheated and shut down many times during an event while my SB-800 worked as expected. It was a loan to try from my dealer. I returned it and saved for an SB-500. Never again. The $400 that was quoted for a SB-910 above only gets me an SB-700 here. I find US pricing to be ridiculously good.

I have a suspicion a third party EN-EL4a killed my first D300s. Earlier, a Hahnel EN-EL3 started overheating within a year from purchase.

You have your preferences. I have mine. Couldn't care less what Nikon execs do after getting my money. They make products that work the way I expect them to.

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password