New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · long lens for new zealand

robin bush
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · long lens for new zealand

I have taken the liberty of adding a couple of pictures, all taken with Canon 100-400 except for the Kingfisher where I used a hide and a Canon 600mm. TiriTiri is well worth a visit, boat leaves from Auckland City, travels up the coast to Gulf Harbour then across the TiriTiri. If you are able to book early, there may be a chance of an over night stay which gives you a chance of photographing Little Spotted Kiwi, best to contact Dept of conservation for details.

NZ Kingfisher. Canon 600mm

Blue Duck. Canon 100-400

Yellow-crowned Parakeet. Canon 100-400

Tui. Canon 100-400

Saddleback. Canon 100-400

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:23 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · long lens for new zealand

I lived in Australia for six years. My standard hiking kit, with little kid in the backpack, was a Dx with a 100-400 and maybe a 1.4x if I thought birds would be plentiful and not just kangaroos. Not the lightest thing to carry, but a damn site more flexible and easy to stow than a 500mm. Centrepoint only is not that hard to adapt to with back button focus. Kind of like going back to first generation AF skills.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:10 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · long lens for new zealand

Unless you go to really specific places there is no much going on in NZ for BIF, at least it was like that when I visited two years ago. A lot of deers, sheeps, lambs, cows, some pengiuns/whales in Kaikoura if that's the wildlife you are looking for.

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:45 AM
technic
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · long lens for new zealand

fplstudio wrote:
Unless you go to really specific places there is no much going on in NZ for BIF, at least it was like that when I visited two years ago. A lot of deers, sheeps, lambs, cows, some pengiuns/whales in Kaikoura if that's the wildlife you are looking for.

Agree, that was also my impression from a trip over ten years ago. The most amazing opportunities for landscape photography, plants and maybe some types of insects, but not for general (native) wildlife and birds. Which makes sense, as NZ didn't have any mammals (except bats) until humans arrived in relatively recent times - which also started the decline of bird populations. I remember from talking to biologists than many of them were gravely concerned about the 'silent' forests. And BTW, at popular bird photography spots like the gannet colony at Muriwai Beach you can get great images with almost any lens (including standard and WA lenses ...) so no need to plan for special gear ;-)

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:19 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · long lens for new zealand

Muriwai is an eye opener lol. I got 'epic' gannet shots with a borrowed nikon and centuries old zoom. could have used a cell phone...

I think there are good bird options but you will have to research and work hard for them, sorry I cant help!

Oct 04, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · long lens for new zealand

Thanks for all the good input. I've micro adjusted my 100-400 II with a 1.4x for the trip. I'm also going to take the 400DO. It may be a waste of time but it is a good BIF lens, with the 1.4x a 5.6 560mm lens and with a 2x in good light an 800mm f8. Teamed with my 5Div I will have 61pt AF at f8. There is a good NZ birding site with various locations and ratings for different times of year. Wish me luck. If it does not work out, there is always tours of Lord of the Rings sites!!!

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · long lens for new zealand

Most of NZ wildlife is of the marine variety. You’ll be disappointed if birding is your thing and they have no native mammals other than a bat. If you are into whale watching then yes the 100-400 is a good choice (Kaikoura or Akaroa) and you will get the occasional shot of a Kakapo trying to destroy something or steal something. However if you go to certain beaches on the west coast you will get to see crested penguins. Whales, dolphins and penguins are what I got last time.

One idea is if the wildlife is important spend a few days on Stewart Island.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · long lens for new zealand

Just to clarify this, you'll be more likely to see Kea destroying stuff rather than kakapo. If it's the latter, consider yourself very lucky 😁

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Most of NZ wildlife is of the marine variety. You’ll be disappointed if birding is your thing and they have no native mammals other than a bat. If you are into whale watching then yes the 100-400 is a good choice (Kaikoura or Akaroa) and you will get the occasional shot of a Kakapo trying to destroy something or steal something. However if you go to certain beaches on the west coast you will get to see crested penguins. Whales, dolphins and penguins are what I got last time.

One idea is if the wildlife is important spend a
...Show more

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:17 PM
robin bush
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · long lens for new zealand

I agree Birding is hard work in NZ. Most species have very specific habitat requirements.If you spend time researching you can reward yourself with some great opportunities to capture some NZ endemics.

Muriwai Gannets after sunset

Captive Kakapo

Wild Kakapo, shot on film

Hutton Shearwater

Crested Penquin

Oct 05, 2017 at 01:36 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · long lens for new zealand

Isaacheus wrote:
Just to clarify this, you'll be more likely to see Kea destroying stuff rather than kakapo. If it's the latter, consider yourself very lucky 😁

Yes of course you are right, all the birds starting with k konfused me.

Just remembered their is a great albatross protected site close to Dunedin and they also have a lot of seals and penguins, well worth the visit, Albatross only can be photographed behind glass though and I mean you not them, they are wild and free. Visit is guided but you can get close to seals and penguins at times.

Also forgot about the egret rookery on the west coast. looking back I did get a fair few bird photos in NZ and used the 100-400 a lot

Oct 05, 2017 at 05:48 AM
mohamed alfari
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · long lens for new zealand

I did round trip in the south Island , doing day hikes I never saw any birds, I was hoping to see the Kea or Kwi , didn’t see any kind. I had 70-200 f2.8 IS and I really wished for the light f4 in my hikes.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:11 PM
mohamed alfari
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · long lens for new zealand

PhilPDX wrote:
New Zealand's cloud forests are simply beautiful. Not much wildlife except for the occasional kea or fantail perhaps, but an overload of mosses, lichen and other plants. The scenery in the interior of the South Island is breathtaking. If I were you I would bring a zoom like the Canon 24-105 mm, a macro lens with flash if you have, and leave the long lens at home. Have fun and stay dry!

-Phil

Very true

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · long lens for new zealand

An Albatross Experience operates out of Kaikoura that offers excellent BIF opportunities with these iconic sea birds.

Oct 11, 2017 at 02:57 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · long lens for new zealand

Ferrophot wrote:
An Albatross Experience operates out of Kaikoura that offers excellent BIF opportunities with these iconic sea birds.

And note that if you do do a ferry crossing (Interislander) from Wellington to Picton, or the other way, albatross will sometimes follow the ferry or be visible from it - perhaps more so in the colder months. Another bonus of crossing Cook Strait are scenics from the ferry, particularly entering Tory Channel and even deeper into Queen Charlotte Sound - the whole trip can be pretty, on a good day.

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:04 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · long lens for new zealand

yep and 8 meter swells make it exciting too

Oct 11, 2017 at 03:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.