New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

long lens for new zealand

Flowernut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · long lens for new zealand

is a 100-400 enough for new Zealand's south island or would something like a 400 f4 or 500 f4 be worth the effort of getting it there. Full frame camera

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:34 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · long lens for new zealand

What are you wanting to shoot?

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · long lens for new zealand

I was there the beginning of last year doing the Milford Track. I would think a 100-400 perhaps with 1.4x would be sufficient. On my trip, the bird life was not as abundant or visible as one might expect. Are you doing a specific photographic tour or have a guide or other special circumstance? My experience is admittedly limited. Many of the iconic NZ birds are secretive and rare.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · long lens for new zealand

If you want bush birds you need to get away from the tracks and favour the routes* - yes, there's a difference. Go somewhere quiet and sit and watch.

Coastal you can choose depending on your time and money; shearwaters, blue penguins and yellow-eyed penguins, albatross and gannet colonies.

*If you know what you doing and have the time and equipment.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:31 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · long lens for new zealand

Birds I guess is what I'd be photographing and animals. I'm an amateur nature photographer. Photo tour I'm on will probably be more scenic oriented so a 100-400 should work well there. I've not used one with a 1.4x so I will try and do micro focus adjustments for it. It is hard for me to get used to auto focus at f8 but everyone tells me this combination works.

I'm there on my own after the tour as well so that is where I would expect to use the longer lens like a 500 or 400f4. I may work more on things like birds and animals and other things that I missed on the tour or return to sites where we had less than ideal weather or time. I'm getting the feeling that there is not enough long lens stuff to warrant dealing with a long lens logistically. Part of it I guess is that I feel naked with out a long lens.

I'm a fairly experienced bird and animal photographer.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:32 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · long lens for new zealand

I as on a trip with a bloke who dragged a 400/2.8L , never got it out the case once.

You can shoot birds, but it will take time and effort and research as to what birds where. they are often small and far away or in dense bush.

Well or sometimes you find a robin and its MFD issues...

I dont really shoot birds but I'd want ~800mm

As for 'animals' the only native mammal is a bat which your unlikely to see, plenty of deer and bunnies/hares around, also tahar goads, wild pigs etc.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:46 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · long lens for new zealand

Paul Mo wrote:
Coastal you can choose depending on your time and money; shearwaters, blue penguins and yellow-eyed penguins, albatross and gannet colonies.

I went to Dunedin Penguin place whilst down there once, March, they spend the entire month lying still & moulting, I can recommend not going then.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:47 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · long lens for new zealand

I've tried a bit of birding around the south island, with a sigma 150-600 c, most often the small native birds are very flighty and won't come far out of the dense bush. For those that do, the 100-400 should be plenty. I've had just as much success with the 70-200 than with more reach.

Spent an hour lugging the sigma up a track for the bird to land on my pack at a rest stop. Could have used my 35 at that stage

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:53 AM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · long lens for new zealand

I would say 100-400 with 1.4tc. A lot of the interesting wildlife is in the bush where a long lens has its limitations but I would talk the lens on the chance of seeing kea flying around. A lot of the visible, accessible stuff is on the coast, with seals, whales, penguins and albatross especially round the SE corner of S Island. Those alone will make the 100-400 worth it.
If you are not on a dedicated wildlife tour then if it is the mkii 100-400 you have, it makes a very good stand-in for the long primes (I have this and the 400 DOii).

I would say three quarters of my landscapes are taken with medium telephotos and when you get to areas like Rotorua with the thermal park the options are fantatsic.

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:06 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · long lens for new zealand

I was in NZ years ago, prior to having anything other than a snapshot camera. We hiked the Kepler trek as it was higher elevation for part, affording wonderful alpine views. Highly recommend. The albatross colony was closed due to breeding season. The Dunedin penguin area was excellent. Apparently you have to hire a local guide to take you to the blinds that are set up, but this opportunity was excellent and the 100-400mm +/- 1.4 would be perfect here. We were later able to walk on the beach where it could work well too. The little blue penguins are out to sea during the daytime and come back in the evening. They are fun to see and try for some images. The only native mammal on the island is the bat, so not much for you but domesticated animals. We were on an overnight kayak trip and saw some seals and penguins that would need a telephoto. The sightings were not plentiful (but wonderful when they occurred) The kayaking weather varied from rain & hail to calm sunshine. Water protection would be a must.
We kayaked by chance with Rob Suisted, a well known NZ photographer. His portfolio gives a good idea of what is available to you. Of course Rob Dickinson here on FM is amazing.
http://www.naturespic.com/contents/
Have fun!

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · long lens for new zealand

Robs a great photographer, I personally dont have the patience for good wildlife photography, I do snap the odd creature but never really publish them

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · long lens for new zealand

Flowernut wrote:
is a 100-400 enough for new Zealand's south island or would something like a 400 f4 or 500 f4 be worth the effort of getting it there. Full frame camera

Depending on the camera and the wildlife, a 100-400 (v. II preferably) could do the trick. If you think that you might need 500mm and have the right camera you can add a 1.4x TC to the 100-400 and get to that length and beyond. (You'll be limited to f/8 with the TC and you'll lose some of the AF points. It is a compromise, but it can work well. I didn't check which camera you have, so make sure that yours is one that will AF at f/8 ó†not all will.)

One advantage of the 100-400 for travelers is that when stowed it is pretty small compared to the big zooms. The flexibility provided by have the variable focal length can also be quite useful.

Dan

Edited on Oct 03, 2017 at 01:09 AM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · long lens for new zealand

Probably go with 100-400 and 400f4 do. The latter can be used with a 1.4x and 2x and is a good birds in flight lens. The 100-400 for everything else.

My basic kit is 16-35f4, 24-105f4 and 100-400II pretty much everywhere I go. I then add as needed depending upon what I expect to see. Having never been there I don't know what to expect.

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · long lens for new zealand

Both seems like overkill but that's just me. Have a great trip.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:27 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · long lens for new zealand

yep tbh the chance you would bother having to hand and digging out the 400/4 are slim

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:34 AM
shinyobject

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · long lens for new zealand

For birds, check out Tiritiri Matangi island if you spend any time in Auckland. Itís a bird sanctuary and the place overflows with them.

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:45 AM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · long lens for new zealand

shinyobject wrote:
For birds, check out Tiritiri Matangi island if you spend any time in Auckland. Itís a bird sanctuary and the place overflows with them.

As a huge coincidence I learned of that for the first time yesterday in a BBC article about saving the kiwi from extinction. They collect Kiwi eggs and raise the chicks to keep them safe from predators, then take the adolescent back to the native mainland forest.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:56 AM
robin bush
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · long lens for new zealand

I have photographed New Zealand birds for many years, Canon 100-400 is all you need for most of the birds you will encounter. I would also consider a flash, New Zealand forests are dark unless you are lucky enough to find species in good light.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:37 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · long lens for new zealand

I'll bring a flash. thanks for the tip about tiritiri matangl island.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:59 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · long lens for new zealand

New Zealand's cloud forests are simply beautiful. Not much wildlife except for the occasional kea or fantail perhaps, but an overload of mosses, lichen and other plants. The scenery in the interior of the South Island is breathtaking. If I were you I would bring a zoom like the Canon 24-105 mm, a macro lens with flash if you have, and leave the long lens at home. Have fun and stay dry!

-Phil

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password